New Kit Revealed

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, May 30, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

RE: Fulham kit...

One big difference is if you spend that much for a hockey or baseball jersey, you won't have to buy a different jersey the next year because jerseys in American sports don't change that much. If I drop $200 on a replica Blackhawks jersey with name and numbering, I won't have to buy one again for a long time. To keep current with Fulham, I'd buy a new jersey every year or two and pretty soon, I'm spending way more than I would on the Blackhawks jersey.

Of course, that scenario applies only if you always have to have the newest kit :).

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Good example...goes to show that the sport of football definitely exploits the fans in the matter of merchandise. The most passionate fans in all of sports and the clubs/sponsors know full well that they will buy the new shirts every season. I imagine it would work in American sports if they chose to do so as well.

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I only plan on buying this season's kit(s), and then not getting another one for a few years. If someone has a problem with that, then they can kiss my bender.

:D

4. Team_of_McBrides

Speaking of which QD...did you win that shirt on ebay?

5. FulhamboyinTexas

FulhamboyinTexas New Member

Social comment on use of Premiership shirts / PIPEX shirt

I've been reading the debate over the cost of Premiership football shirts. Can I add a social perspective that I witnessed up close as a volunteer worker in the UK Youth community? There's a recent phenomenon in the UK where mainly single-parent (and thus normally low-income) families buy little Johnny/Jenny their favourite team's new shirt, which then becomes their main item of clothing for the subsequent 12 months, only to be taken off their backs when mum washes it. So, in terms of affordable clothing for the family, these largely very durable synthetic material football shirts are good value for money when one considers how much use the parent gets out of it to clothe his/her child, and the enjoyment the child gets out of it to sport his/her team's colours. However, for the adult market I entirely agree that there are comparatively few professionally endorsed sportswear items more costly to keep up with than the ever changing English Premiership shirt - and indeed this is exacerbated when one throws in the '3rd' shirt gag!

BTW - who was it that was after a FFC 'PIPEX' shirt? I've got a spare Away (black) shirt (size XL) with white piping, which I think is from the 05/06 season (it just says 'PIPEX' in white lettering without the red square sported in my 06/07 shirt). Glad to let it go to a good home.

Bob MBE.

6. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Social comment on use of Premiership shirts / PIPEX shir

Bob, interesting perspective that I never took into account. Great to see the shirts last so long and the kids take pride in wearing their club's colors. Fair play to you for all the social work you've done as well.

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Re: RE: Fulham kit...

I think it ends today. I had actually forgotten about that. Been a busy couple of days. Even if it doesn't fit, it'll still be like my blankey o' power.

8. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Fulham kit...

What size are you looking for? I've come across some fantastic shirts that are larges and just a bit out of my size range.

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

A fulham shirt looks unattractive to the US market because of the huge imbalance in the excahnge rate at present. The £ is getting stronger against the USD and Euro (I think we are trying to do something about it but I am not much of an econimist), the current rate is nearly $2 to £1, it hasn't been that high since the early 80's, at present it is cheaper for me to buy on-line from the US and pay the shipping costs for electrical products.

From the UK perspective, the shirt is only £50 and we know that it is going to change every season so most fans will buy every other season (or hang back if the away shirt is bright green) - as far as I can tell, once you make it out of the school playground, there is no stigma attached to wearing last years shirt, and if you hang on to it long enough it becomes retro or classic!

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Speaking of shirts, just been down to the opening of the club shop. No kits in there just yet, but there is some of the training gear but not all of it just yet. I was with Nicky Gadd (some of you know who I'm talking about) and we were impressed with all of the Clima-fit Nike stuff that was there.

If Nike makes it, it now has a Fulham badge on it. Just got two training tops (one black and one red). Sweet.

11. Team_of_McBrides

There were only two or three pictures of the club shop online. Overall is there a nice line of Fulham training gear for the upcoming season? Was hoping to get a jacket.

12. GaryBarnettFanClub

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham kit...

There will be pleny of jackets (they will stock up more towards the winter). If you want it for while you are in the UK make sure it is waterproof - I would recommend a good fleece also!

13. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham kit...

I've heard it rains in London like it does in Seattle. Limitless rain is in the forecast. What are the months of September-December like in London?

Bit off topic I know...

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

Fulham kit... (off topic)

Hi TOC,

It is mostly cold and dark, lots of rain, often wind from the north sea and scandinavia - whipping in sleet. you can also get fantastic winters days, where the sun shines and the sky is cold blue, but mostly wet cold and dark. I still love it. The last 2 winters have been fairly dry but most of us are hoping for a good downpour to keep the resoviors full.

If you go to any mid-week games get some warm socks (I use thermal hiking socks) and some gloves, scarf and hat. Drink the shit coffee at half time and save the beer 'til you are back in your local.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

further off topic alert!

Was chatting with HatterMom a while back about how, since they've gotten such high-quality blends and premeasured portion control, it's kind of hard to find coffee that sucks. Her reply? "Well, I'm sure that Brit Rail coffee is still pretty putrid."

Hijack over

16. Team_of_McBrides

Haven't quite acquired the taste of coffee yet, but I will do my best to fashion a flavor that suits me. I honestly can't tell the difference between quality and terrible coffee either. Thanks for the tips GB...you are a stocked full of knowledge and I am grateful for you gracing me with your wisdom.

Don...great to hear HatterMom has a good sense of humor.

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

Forget coffee, its not Boston. I would recomment a good breakfast tea, correctly brewed - with a little milk and sugar. It will get you through any crisis (personally I enjoy Tetley or PG Tips).

HatterMom will be please to know that British Rail no longer exists - she will also be reassured that current train companies provide a very low standard of coffee that could be heated ditch water.

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

MMmmm...well coffee is my 'thing', I always enjoy a good brew. Cafe Nero or Costa will do me just fine.

As for the British Tea...I'm a PG Tips boy all the way.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jewish penecillan = chicken soup
    English penecillan = cup of tea

For my troops who are feeling ill and can't come to work, I still recommend chicken soup, a cup of tea, and black-and-white movies [something along the lines of Casablanca or Boom Town or His Girl Friday or, best of all, The Thin Man will do nicely]. but don't forget that tea!!

... and the thread hijack just keeps on comin'

20. Team_of_McBrides

Don, you've sent this thread on a crash course with no end. Great recipe for recovery and sorry to hear about your luck at the airport. Are you going to be watching the final? Chat room?