NBA Season 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

After the worst case of man defending I've seen in the NBA in years to end game one, I thought for sure the Pacers would choke it down again. Instead, LeBron turned into LeTurnover and the series is even. I think the Pacers may have the personnel to defeat Miami.

It might surprise many, but a goodly number of folks down here in GAWD"S COUNTRY are still very VERY worried about The Griz. They are a very good team that has had our number for a couple of seasons now.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD at the Valero having some java this morning as the Spurs improved to 12-2 in the playoffs and now await Miami to finish off the Pacers. Tony Parker is now fully back and playing at a first team all NBA level. While I don't see them beating the Heat, they do have shot because their health is good, and they have played near the minimum of games to get to the Finals which means Duncan is fresh.

3. SoCalJoe

If you told me that Wade and Bosh would combine for 17 points I would like the Pacers chances. However, LeBron just lifted the team and put them on his back. He is clearly the best player on the planet, and is willing his team to another title. Wade is hurt so they can be outplayed (Indiana has actually outplayed Miami for the majority of the series), but they can't be outscored and that's because James is too good.

4. SoCalJoe

Pacers smack around the Heat to force a game 7. Chris Bosh; 5 points, Dwayne Wade; 10 points:shock: The Big 3 have turned into the Big 1. LeBron won't let them lose at home, but there have got to be a bunch of confident players in HD's neck of the woods.

Had to look up Paul George, because this kid is really on the rise. From out here in Palmdale and went to Fresno State for 2 years, which means he wasn't even highly recruited. Roy Hibbert has developed his offensive game inside, and if they can incorporate the injured Danny Granger into the team next season they can be very dangerous (and they might get it done this year).

5. SoCalJoe

Okay Justin, I know you're out there and isn't it time you get over the Kobe injury?? Feel free to offer your expertise since this should be an interesting Finals.

HD has his Olympics rant and I have my NBA Finals one. I absolutely HATE the 2-3-2 format (2 at Miami, 3 at San Antonio, 2 at Miami). It's the only playoff series that does it (everything else is 2-2-1-1-1). It's near impossible for the road team to win those 3 middle games, thus the NBA' manipulates it in an attempt to get the series to at least 6 games. It's total BS, and really messes up the integrity of the Finals.

• Can the Spurs somehow shake off the rust and manage to sneak a game out in Miami?? Ten days off is really bad news for Hoops' team. Huge advantage to the Heat in these first two games.

• Manu or Wade?? Both are past their prime and not 100%, but still can rise up and play great. Which one plays better will be key.

• How will Miami guard Parker?? LeBron will probably be on him at times, but can Miami's smaller guards slow him down?

WIll be pulling for the Spurs, and even though they are better than Indiana, but will pick Miami in 6 instead of the 7 it took to beat the Pacers, due mainly to the format. Miami to win the first two, Spurs to win 2 out of 3 at home, Heat close it out in game 6

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The key in any series with the Spurs is the bench. Pop's all about the bench, and we have one of our best ever. Miami are not the team they were last year. I think we win in 5.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm for the Spurs . . . wonder why. :think:

8. SoCalJoe

:confusion-scratchheadyellow: Nope, can't figure it out :mrgreen:

Mo, how do you feel about the rumors that he will be back in a Cavs uniform at some point?

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I only follow the NBA by accident these days so while I've heard the rumors are out there I dont know where they are coming from. It's hard to imagine he would come back or be taken back after the things owner Dan Gilbert said about him. Also, the fact that Cleveland keeps winning the draft lottery just lends itself to the idea that Gilbert has something on LeBron the league doesnt want known.

Personally, I would take him back if he apologized and admitted to throwing the series against Boston so he could leave. He was young and stupid, no reason to hold it against him if he apologizes for that and for the way he chose to jilt us on an hour long national tv show.

That being said, even without an apology, I think most Cleveland fans would eventually accept him in a Cavs uniform again. We are the mistake on the lake after all.

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for all the Spurs fans I will be pulling for San Antonio.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, it didn't seem to hurt much. I would have bet good money we'd lose tonight -- long layoff/rust etc. Miami might be in a little trouble.

tee hee :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:

12. SoCalJoe

Heard this morning that since they've changed to this stupid 2-3-2 format that win a series has been tied 1-1 the winner of game 3 has won the series 92% of the time. Bottom line is if Manu plays like that, the Spurs have no chance to win.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if all three of our big three shoot around 33% from the floor in the same game, even the Lakers could beat them.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

re Lakers: ouch, but deservedly so...

2 - 3 - 2 makes no sense in the modern era, where transportation is, well, modern. In this format, one loss and the home team is forced to claw back. 2-2 and a 1-1-1 should be the way to go. Fair and balanced, at least for the team with the better record, and akin to a national news channel.

The "block" was awesome, but the wheels had already fallen off the Spurs' wagon by that time. I think Spurs take 2 of 3 at home and then all bets are off. This will go 7 in my opinion.

15. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

If the finals were Boston vs. LA you could argue that 2-3-2 avoids some long trips, but that's a moot point this year. For me, the overriding factor is that all of the other series are 2-2-1-1-1; I think that format be used in the finals for the sake of consistency.

And ... as a former Ohioan, GO SPURS!

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I always thought the 2-2-1-1-1 was a little stupid all along. 2-3-2 has been baseball's way of doing things for more than 60 years. I still remember a triple overtime night game in Boston followed the next day by a 1200 tipoff in Phoenix -- with air travel and no sleep in between. IIRC, that was the tail end of a 2-2-1-1-1

17. SoCalJoe

HD, over the last few years the NBA has expanded the amount of days off between games. The NBA offices will say it's to make the games better, but the real reason is they wanted the playoffs to last longer, thus keeping the league in the headlines for May and June. The Spurs won game 1 on Thurs. then had to sit in Miami until Sunday night, that is asinine. Throw in that every team has their own custom jet, and the travel argument makes no sense. As sac pointed out, If they want to change the entire playoffs to that format, okay (I'll still bitch about) but it would be at least consistent.

18. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

My impression was that home court advantage is more pronounced in the NBA playoffs than it is in the MLB postseason, but I wanted to look it up:

NBA postseason -- home team wins 65%

MLB postseason -- home team wins 54%

That's enough of a difference that I think it makes sense to use a different format (2-2-1-1-1) in the NBA, so that the format itself doesn't cause big momentum swings.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One thing that might account for that is that, in the NBA, the team with the best record gets the home court advantage. In MLB, the home field advantage in October goes to the team whose league won an exhibition game in July. Yet more stupidity by Bud Selig

20. SoCalJoe

Unselfish play, perfect ball movement, and a team first mentality are what the Spurs are all about. Pop's ability to develop guys like Danny Green and Gary Neal into solid NBA's players is amazing. Fingers crossed that Tony Parker's MRI is negative because it would be a shame if he is hurt.