NBA Season 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That was a stunning result. The Clips are for real, but the Spurs were unstoppable. I won't go as far as the distinguished gentleman from Socal, though. OKC have the sign on us much the way the Lake Show did in the 80s.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thought that Steph Curry was snubbed big time by no being in All Star game, but when you go for 54 at Madison Square Garden, he won't be overlooked again. 11 of 13 from 3 point land?? :angry-extinguishflame:

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Don't look now, but the Lakers are now a half game back from Utah. I looked at their schedule and there is a chance they could catch Golden State for the sixth seed.

And I think this run that Kobe is on is better than the LeBron run. He's averaging over 35 ppg this month with 7 assists or so and the same amount of rebounds. Considering that LeBron has a team to play with and Kobe has to kind of do everything on his own, it's a better run. I know a lot of people hate him, but you can't deny the results.

4. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the season you were telling us that the Lakers had the best roster in the league. Now Kobe is on a one-man team. Which is it?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You have to admire the man's loyalty. He has positive things to say no matter what crap is up to the Lakers' neck. I mean, one game-ending dunk and he's convinced that's enough to get them to the finals.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

They did have the best team in terms of talent, but that didn't work on the court. Dwight was being a dumbass, Gasol didn't work in the new offense, Nash got injured etc. Hopefully the win in Orlando gets Dwight going and Kobe won't have to try and do everything.

And I have to stay with the Lakers as the team to beat. I'm not going to change my view because of what has happened. It has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with not being a bandwagon person who changes who they think will win all the time. Probably stubborn more than loyalty. It's not like it's not a possibility. They are one of the best teams in the last month or so.

7. SoCalJoe

Far be it for me as a Laker Hater to pile on :roll: ... went back and took a look at their recent results;

Granted the Fake Show has played better, but they've taken advantage of the easiest part of their schedule. Since Feb. 1st. the Lakers record is 14-6. They've played 4 upper echelon teams (Miami, Clippers, Denver, OKC) and they lost by double digits in every one of those games. They've played 4 other playoff team (beat the Nets, beat the slumping Bulls who just lost to Sacramento by 42, and split 4 games with Boston and Atlanta). What they have done is climb back in the playoff picture by eeking out wins against the Toronto's and New Orleans' of the NBA. Even with Kobe hurt they still should be able to hold into 8th spot since Utah is going down the drain.

Out west have to credit to the underrated George Karl. Denver is 22 games above .500 and battling the Grizzlies and Clippers for those 3rd-5th seeds. If they get home court in the first round, it's lights out for their opponent since the Nuggets have lost only 3 home games all season.

8. SoCalJoe

No fan of the Heat by any means, but hats off to them winning 27 in a row. Thought the Spurs would be the ones to snap the streak on Sunday, but the Bulls knocked them off in Chicago last night.

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

The worst news the Lakers could get is an injury to Kobe. It looks like he tore his achilles. Sadly, he probably won't ever be the same. Knowing Kobe though, he could have his best season next year. Hopefully, the competitor comes out and he has a good rehab.

10. SoCalJoe

Playoffs are here and for the next 6 weeks we all can enjoy the first round :shock: Lakers are in, don't worry Justin w/Kobe out I won't hold you to that bet.

West:

OKC v Houston: Rockets choked away 7th seed, and will get smacked around by Thunder in 4 or 5 games.

Spurs v Lakers: Spurs couldn't keep their guys healthy. Manu is out, Parker looks like a shell of himself since coming back from injury. Fake Show has it's own problems, but suddenly the IDIOT coach (an insult to idiots everywhere to be in company with D'Antoni) was forced to actually try and play Pau and Howard together. Gasol w/17 pts, 20 reb., 11 assists last night, not bad considering the fool coaching them thinks he can't play. This series could get interesting w/Spurs health. Add that they signed the human black cloud Tracy McGrady (never has been on a team that has won a playoff series), and this could go longer than first anticipated.

Denver v Golden State: A month ago, I think the Nuggets go to the Finals. They are 38-4 at home, getting better away, and have the best coach outside of San Antonio. Danilo Gallanari goes down for the year,the most underrated player in the league Kenneth Fahied goes down and his status is unknown. Seth Curry is no longer the most underrated player and has a puncher's chance of winning because of Denver's injuries. I'll take Denver still, but oh what might have been had they stayed healthy.

Clippers v Memphis: Coin flip

East:

Miami v Milwaukee: ZZzzz.

New York v Boston: Have to think that this is finally the last rodeo for the Celts.

Indiana v Atlanta: ZZzzz also, but not because it won't be competitive, just can't think of two more boring franchises than these two.

Brooklyn v Chicago: Coin flip to see who gets rolled by Miami next.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

San Antonio has the easier group. OKC needs to get by Memphis and The Clips to get to the West final, while SA just has the Lakers and GS. Speaking of which, with neither Utah or Dallas making the playoffs, there's only the Lake Show for a Spurs fan to have a grudge against -- that it until [and if] Miami comes around.

For my money and BARRING INJURY, I think OKC wins the West and meets Miami. If that's the case I would hope that everyone not based in Dade County would be rooting for the Thunder. They are an example of the team-oriented play that should be the ideal in the NBA, but just isn't as flashy as the Heat or the Lakers. I hope we can make it to the West finals and give OKC enough of a series to have them on their toes against Miami.

12. SoCalJoe

The West is officially WIDE open now that Russell Westbrook has been knocked out on a flukey/stupid play by a Houston Rockets rookie. He hasn't missed a game in his career and now Westbrook is toast for the rest of the playoffs.

Spurs getting healthy at right time. Manu looked great and Parker got better throughout sweep of what was left of an injury riddled Laker squad. Howard is getting crushed out here for what looked like a deliberate attempt to get thrown out of the deciding game yesterday.

When Seth Curry gets hot (which is often) he barely even looks at the rim, dude is SICK!! Denver on the ropes which is shocking since the Warriors lost All-Star David Lee in game 1. Golden State has a 3-1 lead, but can they close it out in game 6 (Denver will win game 5)?

The East; The only thing that makes Miami vulnerable is Dwayne Wade's knee. Clearly it's not 100%. The NBA is praying for a New York-Miami eastern conference and looks like it will happen.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Except for the nefarious way in which they stole their team from Seattle. They do have a number of former Spurs mgmt folks in their front office which is probably why you respect the way they were built and play.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And, of course, injury did hit OKC. So it's more wide open in the west. I'm hoping for the Spurs as always.

15. SoCalJoe

Conference Semi's are here:

East: Miami v Chicago. The Bulls are a tough minded team, and Coach Thibodeau will figure out at a way to slow down the Heat, but too beat up to make this series go past 5 games.

New York v Indiana: The Pacers won game 1 at MSG, but will have to win there again since I think this one will go 7 games. The Pacers are well coached like the Bulls, so if they win this series it won't be a surprise, but I think the Knicks will sneaks this one out.

West: OKC v Memphis; The Thunder rallied and won game 1. I want to pick Memphis, but their inexperience in the playoffs might cause them not to take advantage of Westbrook's absence.

San Antonio v Golden State; This should be a really fun series to watch for the neutral, I think the Spurs just know how do get it done, and will advance in 6 games.

16. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Indiana & Chicago shake up the East early and Curry is the best gunner I have seen since Reggie Miller. Dude can fill it up in a hurry.

17. SoCalJoe

Memphis closes out OKC Lionel Hollins was the starting off guard for Portland when they won their lone title, so happy for him and think they will beat either the Spurs or Warriors to win the West. They are the best defensive team left, have a great inside game w/Gasol and Randolph, and the trade of Rudy Gay that was seen as a cost cutting move, turned out great as they eventually got a championship player in Tayshaun Prince in return, and freed up Mike Conley to emerge as an elite guard.

OKC seriously missed Westbrook, but the trade that never should have happened has perhaps crippled their title chances. James Harden and OKC brass quibbled over by what are NBA standards as a palty sum of money. Instead of working it out, the Thunder screwed up and traded him to Houston.

Spurs won the critical Game 5 (82% of teams that win the 5th game of a 2-2 series advance), but kind of expect Golden State to bounce back to force a return trip to San Antonio.

Miami closes out the Bulls in 5. No surprise since Chicago didn't have Rose, Deng, HInrich, and Noah played hurt. The Heat will probably be taking on Indiana, and the Pacers can give them a little trouble, but not enough to get past 6 games.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Free coffee from Valero this morning -- if I can get dressed before 10 -- as there always is when San Antonio wins a playoff game. Golden State is a game squad and the darlings of ESPN, but there was no answer for Duncan last night. I continue to be amazed that Mark Jackson didn't finish in the top 3 for manager of the year. Perhaps Oakland is also "too small" to be appreciated.

19. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I agree that Mark Jackson should get more credit than he has. He changed the culture of the Warriors from flashy and soft to solid. They're still fun to watch, but they're also a good team. The Spurs showed them where they could be in a couple of years.

I don't think Oakland is too small, but there is a built-in disadvantage to being on the west coast as far as getting national recognition, due to the simple fact that when night games end on the west coast, the east coast has gone to bed. The 11 pm sports highlight show in the east won't have results from the west coast games because they aren't over yet. That adds up to less coverage.

20. SoCalJoe

East: Still think it's inevitable that Miami wins it all again. Indiana is a really good team, but treats the ball like a hand granade and unless they win tonight I think the series is over in 5. Could of won game 1 when the Heat were rusty, but blew it.

West: The Spurs totally dominated Memphis until the last 5 minutes of game 2. Unless Zach Randolph finds his scoring shoes, the Grizzlies are in trouble. They must win both games at home to have any chance. Typical San Antonio in efficiency, professionalism, and team work. Popovich looks as though he has his horses in enough health to get back to the Finals.