NBA Season 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Honestly not worried. We are in every game and give up the game late. If we make the playoffs, I stand by my prediction of us winning it all. Mitch needs to work some trades because Pau and Dwight do not work together and bringing in a guy like Josh Smith could help. This is all about chemistry issues and bringing in a new player could help the team figure things out on defense as the offense is there. We aren't a horrible defensive team, we are horrible communicating and that can be easily fixed if the drama is pushed aside and people quit bitching. This team should be the best in the NBA and it is not because of the issues in the locker room. Home court means fuck all, make the playoffs and you have a shot at winning a title.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A couple of comments on the last two posts:

1. New Orleans Pelicans is a traditional sports nickname going back almost a century. My father pitched for them when they were an Indians farm club in the early 1930s.

2. The problem with the Lakers has been for a while and continues to be Kobe. The player that has to go is him. How anyone thinks the Lakers will be better withouth Dwight Howard is totally beyond me.

3. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Go Nuggets

4. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I know you have a problem with Kobe, but how anybody thinks that this is his problem hasn't been watching the games. The problem is issues in the locker room and Pau and Dwight not working because Mike likes Pau to play on the perimeter. It sounds like Howard is being a baby and doesn't know what makes him happy. That isn't on Kobe. And we were better with Bynum, so yeah, the other comment is not accurate either. I think you're smart so I am gonna guess this was a troll attempt.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the history lesson HD, cool story. I'm sure that in the abbreviated world we live in, they'll be called the Pels because 'Go Pelicans!" ain't flying :mrgreen:

Justin, love your passion for the Fake Show even if it borders on delusional. Will agree with you that Kobe isn't the problem, but there are too many others to overcome. There will be a trade, and there is a sucker born every minute, but no way they get the pieces needed to turn it into a title contender. Why would Brooklyn trade Josh Smith when it's becoming obvious that they can wait it out and get Howard as a free agent in the summer? Howard controls his own destiny and will only go to Brooklyn or Dallas, and doubtful the Lakers trade him to the Mavs because Dallas have nothing to give (unless it involves Dirk) in return and because of the Lakers rivalry with Cuban. As far as the team they have now, the defense WON"T get straightened out because Steve Nash is 39 and gets torched every night, and because D'Antoni doesn't give have a clue when it comes to D. The Lakers bench has to be regarded one of the the worst in the league, devoid of any talent whatsoever (and don't name Jamison because that dude is washed up). Bad coach + bad locker room + bad bench = Laker haters fun :cool:

Justin, let's make a wager (no money), that if the Lakers make the playoffs, you say they'll win it all, I say they won't. I'll sweeten the pot by saying if the Lakers get to the Finals you win the bet. I'm thinking something along the lines of a pride swallowing post filled with :bow-yellow: and acknowledgment of the other person's genius and our own stupidity, sound good?

EDIT; I never watch the All-Star game, but am interested in who makes the team (I know it makes no sense), but it's ridiculous that Stephen Curry of Golden State didn't make the team.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I take that bet. The locker room issues are the problems on defense. All they have to do is communicate and they aren't that bad on defense. They held the Jazz to 84 points because they played a solid team game. They are good enough on offense to be only OK on defense and win the title. Since they have three of the better defenders in the game, Kobe, Dwight and Metta, they should be an OK team on defense.

Yeah, they need to get some pieces for the bench. It isn't like we don't have anybody that is any good on the bench, Clark is pretty good, but we really need a consistent shooter and backup big. I thought Jamison would help the bench, but he isn't consistent and I was wrong. This is something that could be solved with some trades. Maybe even dealing Gasol could help bring us a stretch PF with a couple of other parts to go on the bench. Like Ryan Anderson from New Orleans. It is clear Mike likes that perimeter PF and Anderson fits that pretty good.

And you are probably going to win this bet. The only reason why I think it could work is because of our GM and the fact that we look so good in some games that you have to think they could get it together and be a great team in the playoffs. I don't know why this team outplays Miami and loses to Toronto. It doesn't make sense and the only explanation is the locker room. If that's the problem then having a professional attitude should take over and they need to go to one of the many great LA restaurants and work their problems out. I thought I knew a lot about Basketball and they are making me look bad, lol.

7. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Does anybody else think Kobe is the problem? If they make the playoffs, he deserves the MVP. That dunk against the Nets was awesome stuff.

8. SoCalJoe

So if they sneak into the 8th seed he deserves MVP?? :angry-banghead: Kobe sure raised his teammates game last night, otherwise they would have lost to the Clippers by 40 instead of the 24 points they did lose by :shock:

There is one player that is so far and away the best player on the planet it's comical and he resides in South Beach. The Heat are starting to rachet it up a few notches and if they remain healthy, not a snowball's chance in Hell that any other team can beat them 4 times in a 7 game series.

The 3 teams in the West that will battle it out to who will lose in the Finals;

San Antonio; sitting with the best record in the West. Popovich is being his usual masterful self in balancing winning and trying to keep his Big 3 healthy and rested for the playoffs. I guess our South Texas folk are so spoiled that a 42-12 mark isn't even worth getting excited about :teasing-poke:

OKC; Just not as good as last year, and severely missing James Harden. Still capable of winning the West w/Durant and Westbrook, but don't think they'll get there.

Clippers; No team has a bigger "IF" factor than the Clips. If they can stay healthy, this is the most talented and deepest team in the West. However, Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA, but gets hurt a lot. Blake Griffin is a monster, but his elbow problems on his shooting arm flare up. Billups and Grant Hill are still vital contributors off the bench when they aren't on the disabled list. The one other thing that is a concern is whether or not Vinny Del Negro is a coach capable of getting his team that far.

9. tim

tim Active Member

I've never been much of a basketball fan. But the Clippers make me want to watch. That's got to say something, right?

10. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Before LeBron went on this stretch, most thought Durant was the better player this season. He is having a great stretch of games, but I want to see this over the course of an entire season before I hand him best player in the world status. I still think Durant is the best player, but Kobe would be MVP for getting the Lakers into the playoffs by totally changing his game mid season. As Lakers fans will know, Kobe was far and away the best player for six years and won one MVP title. Being the best player doesn't mean you're MVP.

11. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

It's surprising to me to see this divine right of big teams stuff on a Fulham site.

12. SoCalJoe

I wish my team (Portland) was worthy of even talking about :cry: All I've got is Laker bashing i.e My Blazers are extremely mediocre, but they still are ahead of the Fake Show in the standings :mrgreen: In Justin's defense not sure I know someone w/as an eclectic collection of teams across the various sports.

13. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Yeah, my Mariners, Bears and Canadiens are pretty bad. The Habs are good this year, but I watched them get the third pick last year. I am from Vegas so I had to choose teams instead of going with the hometown team.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have been smiling for several weeks about the thought that a dunk against Brooklyn means the Lakers are legitimate championship candidates and Kobe is MVP.

I'm so looking forward to Kobe retiring so that I can like the Lakers again.

15. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Not talking about the dunk. Talking about the way he changed his game to get his team to win. If Dwight would learn from that then we might actually be able to do something.

16. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

RIP Jerry Buss. The greatest owner in Lakers history and possibly the NBA. His spending got us a title in Boston and that alone means the world considering our history with the Celtics. Hopefully the Lakers are in good hands.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Didn't Phil marry his daughter? Or granddaughter? Maybe he'll inherit the club.

18. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I think Phil recently proposed to his daughter, Jeannie, after dating her for a decade or so. Or possibly longer. Within the realm of possibility, I suppose.

19. SoCalJoe

Phil lives w/Jennie Buss (for years), but he has stated (and she has reiterated in interviews) that he does not want to be married again.

Jennie will be in charge of the business side of the Lakers. Jim Buss will be in charge of the basketball side.

Even a Laker hater like myself can appreciate the GIANT that Jerry Buss was. Justin, without a doubt Dr. Buss is the greatest owner in NBA history (arguably American sports history). Not only did Buss win more titles than any other owner, he is as responsible for 'showtime' as much as Magic Johnson, Kareem, et al. He purchased the Forum, the NHL Kings, and the Lakers (the Lakers were roughly 17 million of the 68 million total). Buss changed the way the team looked (lighting the court differently, the Laker Girls, the Forum Club for VIPs and celebrities, etc) and marketed it to become a world wide brand. The Lakers are valued at 1 billion dollars (according to Forbes), but if they were actually sold it would cost someone $2 billion minimum.

20. SoCalJoe

The Spurs are now 44-12. Tony Parker is playing the best basketball of career (and is the forgotten man in the MVP discussion), absolutely destroyed the Clippers last night at Staples all the while Popovich keeping Duncan and Ginobili's minutes to a minimum. Still a long way to go, but if they remain healthy the Spurs with a legit chance to be playing in June.