MLS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 13, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Current Crew Legend v 2 former Crew greats... :banana:

C Blanco: "At least it wasn't dos a cero"

{okay.. so I made that up}

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

have fun in SoCal pfog!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, 'fog; you gots family there. You should motorate to Smog City and check out the HDC.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Tale of two halves, congrats to the Crew (where is Jux with the live match report??). Typical professionalism from Iron Head (I think he actually enjoyed the passion shown from the fans, btw he was autographing a bunch of stuff for the Crew fans before the match). Glad to see that Columbus stayed the course w/Sigi who is a terrific coach. Schelotto is a pure class player and a lot of fun to watch.

Prediction for the other semi; Have to think the dismantling of Houston will give NY the momentum to keep it rolling past RSL (even though I'd like to see the home team advance). I know we can count on Omsdogg giving us a live report.

RANT; I realize FSC tapes it nightly report back east in Canada (Toronto?), but not to have playoff highlights on the late show (and subsequent replays) is inexcusable. The FFF show and Matchday weekend shows are taped in LA, it shouldn't be rocket science to have the LA studio go over the match and have it edited into the Report. Then the following night they can go deeper into it. In this day and age to have the highlights 24 hours late is lazy and ridiculous on FSC's part.

5. SoCalJoe

Smog City?? :shock: It's a "Haze" coming off the mighty Pacific 8)

6. pettyfog

RSL now knows...

.. the wrath of the Soccer Gods.
    What a game. There's no way NYRB should have won it.
    Sorry... RSL fans, now you know how Crew fans felt in our previous last playoffs in '04

Gotta say I'd much rather Crew face NY next week having watched this game.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: RSL now knows...

Saw the match on tape delay late last night, and have to agree with pettyfog on this one. RSL should have won. Russell goes to sleep and the game is over. Sad, really.

Go Crew.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I thought it was Olave that over committed and Russel was pushed the wing. Either way it is a gut wrenching loss in ever sense. Well done RSL and good luck next season.

I'm going off to sob uncontrollably in a corner now...

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I don't think I have ever seen a team dominate play so completly and lose. SteveM and I were in the chat room when NYRB scored their goal and we were both shocked. I was certain RSL would tally at least once but it was not to be. Congrats to NY for holding on.

I would guess Osario will employ the same tactics of sitting back and waiting for a counter attack against Columbus. I can't blame him but it is not the most entertaining soccer. Hope the Crew score early and pull the RB out of the back.

10. pettyfog

That wont work against Columbus... Sigi will simply pull GBS back and have him bombing the goal mouth until Ceparo misses one.

I have no idea why RSL didnt do that.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

As Barry said, 2 insomniacs were watching the game and in the chat room. I have never seen a team dominate like RSL and lose. If RBNY pulls another 90 minutes like that, then the Crew will be the MLS Cup Champions.

12. SoCalJoe

Real life intervened and we were too busy packing up photos and necessary documents and going to my brother-in-law's pad (Diamond Bar and Brea wildfires).

Sorry to ToM and Oms for what surely is a gut-wrencher. You would think that the Cup will go to the Crew easily, but it's now down to 90 minutes and when all a team hear's about for a week is that they don't belong, it can raise their level of play. I'll pick the Crew 2-1 in a tight match.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ, been getting a play-by-play from my Orange County in-laws. Hope you and yours are safe and well.

14. SoCalJoe

Thanks Don, all is okay except for the air quality. We live in the next community north Brea and west of Diamond Bar. The only thing seperating is rolling hills of brush and the 57 freeway. Thankfully the winds died down yesterday, but it did get a bit nervy. It was totally surreal to see DC10s and other water dropping planes fly low directly over the house on the way to their targets.

Why did the MLS decide to have the final on a Sunday? I would think it would be easier for traveling fans (flights/hotels/work) for the match to be on a Sat., and better for the ratings to go against college football as oppossed to the NFL.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

SoCalJoe. NFL is on Sunday because they couldn't compete with College Football...

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Really? I guess things really ARE different in the rest of the country than they are here in NY.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, go figure. Who'd want to watch Columbia when you can watch the Giants? Of course, you don't have to go to New Jersey to watch Columbia.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I was at the RSL match. What an atmosphere!!! Sucks that my team lost but the match was a win in the sense that there were a lot more converts to the beautiful game! RSL fever has struck here and people are already gearing up for next season. Props as well to the man of the match post. I can't remember the last time I saw that many balls whack off the upright. Full credit to Red Bulls for not cracking under the constant pressure for the final 30 minutes. And Dave Van Den Bergh = RSL Killer. He does it every time we play. good luck Red Bulls but I got to pull for the Crew.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

What? Who watches Columbia? The college team in New Jersey is Rutgers.

Anyway RED BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!!! Are in the MLS Cup!

But don't expect Osorio to bunker against Columbus. Remember, the last time the two played, it ended 3-1 with Danny Cepero hitting a bouncer from quite a ways away. They have the goods to beat the Crew.

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I will take some pictures and post them up here after the game.