1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Is under way. A couple of random thoughts while watching the first half of the final match of opening weekend between LAFC and Sporting Kansas City:
    1). How the heck is Brek Shea a) still making a living playing professional soccer and, b) STARTING FOR THE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS!!!
    2). How many matches will new boys (and our former USL arch-rival) FC Cincinnati lose?
    3). What the heck is Zulily? The Sounders and XBOX have apparently parted ways as shirt sponsor, so.... Zulily. Yeah.
    Hoping the level of play keeps improving.

2. sacffc

sacffc Active Member

A very good question -- I had the same thought.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Lol, about Brek Shea.

I know it was against an expansion team, but Jordan Morris is only 24. So it was nice to see him snag a brace coming off his injury. Maybe he gets back on the Nats radar.

LAFC just started their 2nd season, but they were out in the pubs and soccer communities from the second they were awarded a franchise (I got a slick looking business card at the CL Final in Long Beach 3 years ago, I have an ManUre friend that got stuff at a pub a couple years ago). They adopted a grass roots campaign, not just a ‘build it and they will come’ approach with the awesome stadium they constructed. The 3252 rooting section is off the chain, Carlos Vela is beloved, and when Bob Bradley is the manager, there is a never say die attitude. I was completely wrong that SoCal wouldn’t support another team.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...orting-kansas-city-march-3-2019?autoplay=true

BarryWhite and nevzter like this.
  4. tim

tim Active Member

@SoCalJoe You best be careful with that LAFC nonsense. We can revisit that in 20+ years or when they’ve won 5 cups. Or when they actually manage to beat the Galaxy

Speaking of, the G’s bought our Gio’s contract and sent him on his way. I’m reminded of a quote from Brad Pitt’s Billy Beane in Moneyball...”If he’s a good hitter, why doesn’t he hit good?” Seems to fit Gio pretty well. He’ll show a flash of brilliance and have people raving about his skill, but with a top-five-in-the-league salary, I don’t care who you are, you need to produce. And he hasn’t. So he’s on his way, with a $6 million parting gift.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    SoCalJoe likes this.