1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was going to put this on the last MLS thread, but the calendar has changed so might as well crank up a new one. @BarryWhite, pointed out on the last thread, the league is shifting and starting to sign internationals that are in their prime, it's come a long way in the 10 years when David Beckham agreed to come over. @'Sota Dan , @encorespanish, in that vein Minnesota United signs a solid 25 year old Finnish international (pretty smart to sign a guy that won't flinch at the Minnesota weather in March).

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3036419/minnesota-united-close-to-signing-rasmus-schuller-sources

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  2. tim

tim Active Member

Joe, did you hop in your DeLorean to get to 2018? If so, can you let me know who won the World Series? Hopefully it was a long shot

In all seriousness, yes, it appears that MLS has turned the retirement league corner. The Galaxy will be new-look this year with a new GM, coaching staff, and two new DPs. Rumor is that Jonathan Dos Santos may be arriving to join his brother. It's a crazy story but Chicharito has been rumored as a possible MLS signing. That would be a huge get for the league.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  3. SoCalJoe

Lol Tim...DOH!! 2016 was so bad I thought I should skip a year. @MicahMan, could you fix that por favor?

I have to imagine Chicharito will come at some point, the salary he can command (the Chinese Super League could probably pay more) combined with the cultural similarities, same time zone, and El Tri managers not having issues w/players plying their trade here it seems a matter of when.

nevzter likes this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Mischief managed.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

The Loons are building quite the spine on the pitch, and the 30 degrees BELOW zero wind chills we are going to have this evening, won't be anything our potential Finnish signee and big Norwegian CB would blink an eye at.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  6. SoCalJoe

@encorespanish, dang, can you even blink at 30 below?:rolleyes: Stay warm up there, that's brutal. Happy to report we've had more rain the past month than the last 5 years combined.

BarryWhite and encorespanish like this.
  7. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

@SoCalJoe you don't want to blink or else your eyelashes will freeze together! I'm very happy to hear you guys are getting the much deserved/needed rain! Don't float away on us!

So Minny United drafted Abu Danladi from UCLA...have you had a chance to take a look at him when he played out there?

8. SoCalJoe

@encorespanish, I haven't seen the young man play. From what I read is he had hamstring issues that limited him in games played last season, but his scoring rate when he did play was excellent.

encorespanish likes this.
  9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

10. tim

tim Active Member

nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  11. SoCalJoe

12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around NYRB trading Dax McCarty, their well loved captain, to Chicago for allocation money. It'll be interesting to see how they spend it.

nevzter likes this.
  13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Strange trade, indeed. Splash signing in the works?

14. tim

tim Active Member

15. SoCalJoe

Welcome home Jonathan Spector. Signs with Orlando City after a long run in England w/ManU, West Ham, and Birmingham. Hard to imagine he's still only 30.

BarryWhite likes this.
  16. BarryWhite

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

18. BarryWhite

Maybe they plan on converting him to a keeper

19. SoCalJoe

From Ernie Stewart's comments, he's being brought in to be more of a mentor than anything else (perhaps a future in coaching??) . His career ended at RFK in 2009 w/that horrible injury, the player seen since only shares the same name w/the player before.

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member