1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I hear you HD about the weather, but MLS did the neutral site thing for years and it made for poor gates and atmospheres. Ever since they changed it to a team with home field advantage the results have been sellouts (with an away section for traveling supporters), and a spectacle worthy of a Final.

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of the whole neutral site championships have to be in a warm climate. People were all concerned that the weather could impact the outcome when having the Super Bowl at the Meadowlands. Really? You don't want the weather to affect the Super Bowl, but it's quite all right to have the conference championships at locations such as Gillette or Lambeau?

I was thinking the other day about how none of the American professional leagues have the stadiums split into home and away sections. I guess that's one of the disadvantages of all teams not being within a day's ride of each other.

3. tim

tim Active Member

The Galaxy have named Curt Onalfo as their new manager (good) and also that they've acquired the rights to Jermaine Jones (not so good). Really have no idea what they're thinking on that one.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I don't follow MLS as closely as I would like, but it sounds like the Galaxy are like the Yankees. Always bringing in huge names that don't exactly work that well together.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    nevzter likes this.
  6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Agree.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I believe searching for the next Lodiero, Giovinco or Piatti is the direction MLS is headed. Atlanta has signed a couple of young South American wingers as DP's and Houston has brought in Alberth Elis on loan with an option to buy.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...uire-honduran-international-alberth-elis-loan

SoCalJoe likes this.
  8. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

Yes, DC United is finally going to build a stadium. There's one more bureaucratic hurdle, a final vote in front of some architectural review board, that will happen February 14. After that they will finally be able to break ground.

It's impossible to state what a nightmare it is to work with the city government, but I'm going to try. In July of 2013, DC United and then Mayor Vincent Grey announced they had a deal for the team to build a stadium. In November of 2013, the Atlanta Braves announced they would be leaving their baseball stadium.

On February 14, 2017, DC United may have finally jumped through all the hoops, and will be able to schedule a groundbreaking, almost 4 years later. On March 31, 2017, the Braves will play their first game in their new stadium.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    SoCalJoe likes this.