1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

That boy Clint Dempsey with a great free kick for the winner in the 86th.

Timbers applied the pressure but the Whitecaps GK wasn't having it, 0-0

nevzter likes this.
  3. nevzter

Nil-nil for the Timbers isn't all bad - BC will be rocking for the 2nd leg.

My son said simply "that's awesome" after Dempsey's goal. He then commented "he used to do that for Fulham, right dad?" Yes, yes he did...

HatterDon and encorespanish like this.
  4. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Always bittersweet for me when Deuce pulls out some magic. Wish we could have gotten another couple of seasons out of him.

Decent result for Portland considering they just played 120+ minutes something like 60 hours earlier. Now a win or score-draw away puts them through.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  5. SoCalJoe

More later on the matches, but who exactly is running espnfc's coverage of the playoffs?? They've had the aggregate score for both Western Conference semis....WRONG for the entirety of the two games. Portland is about to win up in Vancouver (knock on wood) and not only did the idiots have the wrong agg, but with Portland winning 0-1 they were talking about Vancouver just scoring an away goal..at home.

EDIT: Congrats to the morons for actually correcting their errors, it's amazing how bad of coverage espnfc gives the league, the MLS is treated worse than a red-headed step child.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wow. Can't say they weren't exciting, can you? Finally gave up the ghost at halftime of the last match in Vancouver but, man, those were tremendous do or die contests. We HAVE to find a way to get that Dallas keeper to switch to the USMNT. Kid is sensational between the pipes.

7. SoCalJoe

Felt for Clint, but twice the Sounders had the match won only to conceded goals. His PK was the best I've seen from him in awhile, but the next two (especially Chad Barrett who's shot was no more than a mishit dribbler) sealed Seattle's fate and probably Sigi's fate as well

Did Mr. Fog who once upon a time was also known as Mr. Crew watch or see the score of Columbus dispatching of Montreal and Didier Drogba.

Let's Go Timbers!! Really took it to Vancouver and rightly press on. Now I'm worried about Nagbe, I hope JK is smart with him this week.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  8. nevzter

Choke = Seattle. Penalties were awful for Seattle. Once Portland snagged that away goal, you could see Porter organized the Timbers to choke out Vancouver for the rest of the match. Then they added the icing on the cake. Didn't see Red Bull's victory or much of the Crew win, but those western matches were pretty damn good.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  9. jumpkutz

Really impressed with Dallas. They are the goods.

nevzter likes this.
  10. nevzter

I agree Jump, they are solid...and fearless...and one of the lowest payrolls to boot. Maybe Fulham should knock on FC Dallas' door re Pareja (not really, but that guy is a little fireball on the sidelines).
    Portland v. Dallas should be must-watch MLS.

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

So NYCFC hires a proven, young coach in Jason Kreis and after a poor inaugural season (isn't that normal in pro sports) they fire him? Does a Steinbrenner own this team?!?

nevzter likes this.
  12. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

As an MLS neutral fan, that Dallas-Seattle game was a friggen blast to watch.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As a resident of a one TV household, and on an evening where HatterMom is glued to CBS, the Dallas-Seattle game was a complete miss to me. Sigh.

14. jumpkutz

Oh, and I'm gonna really hate it if the energy drinks win.

15. SoCalJoe

Whenever I hear the name Greg Berhalter, I automatically think of the handball off the line (that wasn't called!!) from a header by Berhalter to protect a 1-0 Germany lead in the 2002 WC Quarterfinal. For me probably the best match played by a US team in a losing effort ever, clearly outplayed them over the course of the 90 that day...Better start thinking of him as an up and coming coach as his Columbus Crew take on the Energy Drinks.

Second part of the double header should be a great game between Portland and Dallas. Let's Go Timbers!!!! Should be an amazing atmosphere up in the Rose City this evening.

nevzter likes this.
  16. nevzter

COYT!!!!

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I really wish they'd play these matches on Saturday evening or Sunday during the day time. Sunday night is mama's must see TV night.

18. jumpkutz

Each home team won by two, but Dallas was the only visitor to come up with an away goal. That last minute scrambler off a corner by the Timbers could well prove the difference in the end. The energy drinks are in the most trouble since they could NOT come up with an away goal. They must score at least twice whilst holding the Crew scoreless or they're done. And I, for one, would be glad since it's absurd to name a pro sports team after a bloody ENERGY DRINK! ARRGGHHH!!!!!!!

19. SoCalJoe

20. nevzter

Brilliant goal by Asprilla. Portland was rocking, great atmosphere.

Columbus killing off NYRB with fantastic support as well.

With respect to each home crowd, it was a good show for MLS.