MLS 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Clinical performance by Portland on the road. :dance: Totally nullified EJ, barely heard his name all night. Not sure what exactly Sigi was doing by having Clint take the corners and free kicks until late in the game, dude is the best header of the ball in the squad, was it to protect an injury? To be fair he would of scored on a grass field on the corner he headed down and off the crossbar. The traveling support stuck up in the upper bowl was rocking and rolling, will be quite a scene in the rematch.

Revs beat Sporting KC in the opening leg 2-1, so they'll have a shot at the upset in KC. Interesting article on the youngster Diego Fagundez, 18 and a rising star http://sports.yahoo.com/news/teen-star- ... --mls.html

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Portland ran roughshod over Seattle last night - they look like the squad to beat out of the final four: RSL, SKC and Houston.

In addition to the quality of Portland's game last night, Seattle deserved to lose after donning those hideous kits. U-G-L-Y

3. SoCalJoe

With the better half and the daughter at a play, it was me and the changer trying to keep up with all the sports on tv last night. Saw bits and pieces of the Real Salt Lake v Galaxy match, and a little justice for RSL in extra time since they had a good goal called off late in regulation. Trading Magee was a killer for LA (Tim, you called that months ago).

Really sucks that the Portland v Seattle match started at 11 pm EST. It was an electric atmosphere and Portland dominated from the start, until 2 quick goals by the Sounders got things dicey. Clint was a non-factor and it will be interesting to see what transpires going forward. because you can't say that his signing has been anything but a disappointment so far. Here are the highlights:

https://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcente ... s-fc/recap

Agree Nev, about those unis. My wife walked in the door about the 80 minute mark and her first remark was 'why are their uniforms like sherbet?"

4. tim

tim Active Member

I appreciate that Joe...to be fair, I don't quite deserve that much credit. I was ok with the deal provided the Galaxy brass honestly thought the squad would be better with Rogers in it. Who knows if they did or not, but certainly all evidence points to these guys desperately missing Magee. Rogers has yet to regain his top form and, of course, Magee went on a tear in Chicago.

As for the Galaxy overall, I was dreading those missed chances in the home leg coming back to bite them and they sure did. Keane, as good as he's been, had a couple bad matches and LD, Zardes, Rogers and anyone else you would hope would show up in the final third were lacking. It says something when your only goal of the tie comes off the foot of Sean Franklin. Fair to say, the better team won.

5. SoCalJoe

Real Salt Lake continues their ownership of Portland 4-2. The second RSL goal was a mistake of monumental proportions by Futty, and the fourth a deflection that Ricketts couldn't quite react to. Only positive was the Timbers scoring literally in the last 10 seconds of stoppage time to give them a chance going home.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/20 ... highlights

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Nothing lasts forever and this ownership is over come November 24th. Caleb Porter has two weeks to figure it out and simmer to a boil

7. SoCalJoe

DVRed the Portland-Real Salt Lake second leg and after finding out result won't bother :cry: Jason Kreis will ultimately coach the USMNT team, so no surprise RSL keeps the hex on the Timbers, but what a great year for Portland. There is hope that the Timbers can get over the hump as Sporting Kansas City finally beat their nemesis by finally getting by Houston (2-1) in front of a raucous sold out crowd. KC will host RSL for the MLS Cup in two weeks. The winning goal was set up by Benny Feilhaber who has resurrected his career.

8. Clevelandmo

Despite Portland losing, it was still a fun game to watch. At least I thought so. Portland is just fun to watch. That is interesting what you say about Kreis being destined for the Nat coaching job because I was still thinking Porter was the anointed one. However, Kreis' coaching resume is equally impressive and he is probably even more obsessed with soccer than Porter. Regardless, I think the USA's future is bright from a coaching perspective and a player perspective.

9. SoCalJoe

Not sure if Saturday is the best choice, but the league wised up and decided to copy the NBA & MLB and have the MLS Cup at a someone's stadium as opposed to copying the NFL with a neutral site (the Superbowl atmosphere is sterile and boring compared with the playoffs). Kansas City is one of the top atmosphere's in the league, and it makes for a much better product for tv. I hope KC can pull it off, but Real Salt Lake will makes very difficult.

10. tim

tim Active Member

Mike Magee has been named MLS MVP. What a pro. I hope Bruce Arena is kicking himself for letting that guy go.

11. Clevelandmo

Via Soccer by Ives, this quote from Kreis.

Sounds like he is gone after this season. I just hope not to the new york city soccer franchise. They are a year away, right? He wont have the player autonomy he wants there.

12. Clevelandmo

Congrats to Sporting KC - heck of a win in freezing conditions, overtime and PKs. Aurelian Colin is a stud. Zusi nearly blew it for them. Little Plata can play. Man MLS is fun.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ESPN.com with zero class AGAIN. They have a whole section devoted to MLS, but the championship game is played and all they have is stats. Where the hell is the match report?

Mickey mouse outfit; if it happened in the USA and it didn't happen in Boston or NYC, it ain't real.

14. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Terri, Katie and I all agree witk Mo. The KC-RSL championship match was FUN to watch.

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

It was a very entertaining match to watch. A lot of ebb and flow on both sides with decent scoring chances both as well. Didn't know much about the apparently much traveled Collin before the match, but he was certainly a huge factor in the outcome. He appears to be a journeyman, but he's only 27 years old. Does he even sniff the bench for Les Bleus next summer? Has he given Deschamps something to think about? I don't know much about the French defender corps outside of the Prem, but how do you not give this guy a look before naming your World Cup squad?
    The other guy who caught my attention was Seth Sinovic. He was constantly harassing anybody near him who had the ball, just relentlessly pursuing and challenging for possession. Got a little overzealous on several occasions, but just generally made life miserable for opposing attackers. Also thought Nick Rimando was brilliant. He's good...VERY good.

Just a couple of other observations. Thought the referee let play get too physical for most of the match. There were some really brutal tackles and challenges that he allowed without caution or yellows for my taste. But I also thought he and his linesmen got the really big calls right. That's all you can ask for in a championship match. Was somewhat disappointed in the condition of the pitch. I know they probably did the best they could, but it seemed they lacked a system to keep it more playable leading up to when they absolutely had to open it to the elements. Not sure what they have in the way of technology there like they have at many non sub-tropic, open air NFL stadiums, i.e., a subterranean heating system of some sort. Might not have made that much of a difference, but it could have mitigated some of the slip sliding away. Just my two cents worth. All in all, a match worthy of a final. Congrats KC fans, you've got a trophy. And the Chiefs may get you another one pretty soon.

16. nevzter

As a neutral, that match was all I could hope for and more.

17. nevzter

And Kreis heads to NYCFC.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/11/599202 ... nsion.html

NEW YORK -- Jason Kreis has stepped down as coach of Real Salt Lake, three days after losing Major League Soccer's championship game, to become coach of the expansion New York City FC team that starts play in 2015.

Kreis, who turns 41 on Dec. 29, played for Salt Lake from 2005-07 before becoming coach. He led the team to the 2009 MLS Cup championship, becoming the youngest coach to win the title.

He also led the team to finals in the 2010-2011 CONCACAF Champions League, this year's U.S. Open Cup and Saturday's MLS final, where Salt Lake lost to Sporting Kansas City on penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie. Kreis finishes 90-71-58 with Salt Lake in MLS, reaching the playoffs in all six seasons, and 111-8-69 in all competitions.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with Real Salt Lake, including its fantastic fans for the many special years I spent there. I wish them all the very best for the future," Kreis said in a statement released Tuesday.

NYCFC, co-owned by Manchester City and the New York Yankees, said Kreis will start work with the team in January. Kreis will spend time in England working with Manchester City coach Manuel Pellegrini, director of football Txiki Bergiristain and reserves manager Patrick Vieira.

"The opportunity to develop the first professional club based in New York City was impossible to pass up as was the chance to immerse myself in the football operations in Manchester observing some of the leading figures in European football," Kreis said.

Kreis had one goal in 14 appearances for the U.S. national team from 1996.

He was the first player signed to Salt Lake, which retired his No. 9 jersey on July 4, 2011. He was Major League Soccer's MVP in 1999 and the first player in the league to hit 100 goals. He finished his playing career as the third highest scorer in MLS regular season history.

Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen said the search for a new coach has already begun. Kreis' contract with the team ran through the 2013 season.

"We are certain that the job Jason leaves behind — with both the accomplished veteran core and the glut of promising youth — is quite attractive to potential candidates, and we expect to name Jason's replacement next week," RSL owner Dell Loy Hansen said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/11/599202 ... rylink=cpy

18. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

NE Rev's keeper Matt Reis retires

After 16 years he has decided to hang up the cleats. Guess he's going to be a goaltending coach for the Galaxy. Going to miss him here in New England.

19. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Matt Reis had a stellar career. It's unfortunate that it ended with him being helped off the field due to injury. I would've really like to have seen him finish out the match and walk off on his own terms.