MLS 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Best thing I've seen this year and such class shown by all of Portland. My sister had Make A Wish give her an opportunity 20+ years ago, so I understand and love the work put into making that little boy and his team have a special day. Portland's my new #2 team after this - so wonderful.

3. tim

tim Active Member

In case people were curious: http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

Can't say I've done a thorough analysis, but there are plenty of players making the league minimum (about $35k) or just above. Not surprising that most discussion about the quality of MLS centers on the DPs , but you've got to wonder...if you're a kid coming out of college these days, how much do you have to love the game to even sign up? It's a cliche, but a rising tide lifts all ships. Until base salaries are competitive (not even for pro sports, just competitive with just about any other career these guys could pursue), MLS will be lagging.

EDIT: I realize this could be misinterpreted. Don't mean this as a criticism of the league. Just a comment on the state of things. I was at the Galaxy-Houston match last night, and due to some injuries, the Galaxy started a young player named Greg Cochrane at LB, who's among those earning that minimum salary. If I'm Cochrane coming out of school, I'm seriously questioning if pro soccer's even a viable path. Most would agree the path to long-term success for the league is developing homegrown talent. Hard to do that if those players are struggling to pay rent.

4. SoCalJoe

Thierry Henry on his bicycle v Montreal as the Energy Drinks are near the top of the Eastern Conference. The announced attendance was slightly under 12K, and the Red Bulls rank 11th in average attendance (this is based on tickets sold, not bodies in the building), which begs the question...Why in the hell are the MLS so desperate to put another team in New York, when the one they have isn't greatly supported? Maybe it's the overwhelming success of having two teams in LA :shock: :roll: :laughing-rolling: Notice where Chivas USA ranks on the link.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/14402 ... ht?cc=5901

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/le ... er?cc=5901

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Yeah, the push for two NY teams baffles me as well. I think, inevitably, Chivas USA will be moved. Also, although my Quakes are 2nd to bottom, that figure of nearly 11K constitutes a sellout at their small ground...but their new stadium opens for next season.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Ives Garlecep addressed this question with his readers. He lives in New York. He claims that the Energy Drinks (New Jersey) and the 2nd New York team (Queens) are two entirely separate markets. He claims no one from Queens is currenly crossing two rivers to attend Red Bull games. So the idea is that the 2nd team in Queens is capable of drawing at least the same attendance as the Red Bulls, but both will draw more than they would by themselves because the rivalry will cause the Queens fans to go to Red Bull Arena to support their team and vice versa. Plus the rivalry between the two will likely bring a much more exciting atmoshpere to the games, at least when they play each other. This is certainly plausable, but I'm not sure I agree with the strategy and I dont like the idea of NY getting somethng they dont deserve. More lucrative TV deals are what MLS really needs to improve 'cause that will allow it to raise the salary cap. In order to achieve that I prefer the idea of having more cities with teams. Fans having a local team to support is what I think will really expand interest in MLS and grow television viewership. I think a lot of people have trouble getting interested in MLS because it's not the world's best soccer and they have no team to support, no connection. Putting teams in places like Cleveland, Detroit, Indianappolis, Pittsburgh, San Fran, Minneapolis St. Paul, St. Louis, or Richmond will create new fans and create new MLS rivalries. All the second NY team will really do in create a new rivalry. Maybe fans in Queens dont want to cross two rivers to see a NYRB game but they should be able to support their only NY area MLS team by turning on the tube, no? So why would it not be more productive for MLS to target new major television markets that will also create a rivalry.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

:text-+1:

8. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

This will be his third team in four seasons. Is this just due to cicumstances or is there something going on with Agudelo?

10. Clevelandmo

Former Chivas USA coaches Calichman and Chronopoulos are suing Chivas for unlawful termination based upon racial discrimination and six other counts including harassment, failure to take reasonable steps to prevent discrimination/harassment, retaliation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent :shock: infliction of emotional distress. They are demanding a trial by jury. Below is part of the complaint filed. This is pretty interesting. I didnt think this would happen because the players are employed by MLS which doesnt have a policy of discrimination but I didnt think about coaches and other Chivas employees. MLS really should have done something before it got to this. Anyone know the law in this area. Are there not ways to specify racial requirements legally? Afterall, lots of Mexican restaurants seem to only have Mexican employees, same goes for Asian restaurants. Of course those are low paying jobs that no one will sue over, but there are good jobs which have a language requirement and other knowledge related to race.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, first of all, we have 900+ Mexican restaurants here in SA, and I can find non-Latino employees in most of the ones I frequent.

Secondly, it seems to me that Chivas never fields anyone but Mexican players in their teams south of the border. I seem to remember some confusion when ChivasUSA was formed whether they would have non-Mexicans playing in MLS, or whether it'd be a satellite team in all respects. By specifically contracting with a club that had discriminatory hiring practices, MLS basically approved of the club's policy -- whether or not it was applied in MLS. I can't see any way that MLS is NOT complicit in this descriminatory behavior. I hope somebody in the MLS hierarchy has to answer for this.

And, no, I'm not angry because the franchise was supposed to be ours -- well, not too angry.

And,if you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and read Cleveland Mo's post just previous.

12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

13. Clevelandmo

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Since this lawsuit is MLS biz, not requiring knowledge of current on-field happenings {which I dont care enough about to comment} I'd like to point out that this is exactly the issue we quarreled about when ChivasUSA was admitted. Hell, we looked at parent Chivas' roster and staff, it was self-evident. So.. who are these guys to bitch about Chivas not being red, white and blue?
    There were two reasons for Chivas to exist: Drawing hispanic fans that wouldnt get too excited over the Gals and providing a 'healthy' in town rivalry.
    I'd say both were successful within limits.

Of course a lot of us cynics said it would turn out to be 'La Raza FC'. So what... Made it all the better when they got their asses kicked.
    Let's put it this way... suppose Florida gets back two teams; those, ESPECIALLY Miami, wont have a chance unless there's an ethnic tie of some sort. Miami Whitebreads.. read 'Fusion' aint gonna cut it.
    - By the way.. Beckham > Miami?!!!! Not unless he's suddenly gotten a lot dumber. Only way that happens is if it's a flip.

Remember Chicago in its Polish Glory days? Too bad the Ultra thugs ruined that but it was fun.

So.. NYCFC.. sister club to Lokomotiv? Will it be aka "Brighton Beach Bullies"? Lol.. good times a'comin'!
    :cool:

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Seems to me that the Chivas USA thang was one of the few in our past where we were in complete agreement. Add to that the inadvisability of the Florida proposal and the rank stupidity of a Russian farm club based in NYC ... .

'fog, we're going to have to stop posting about MLS's hierarchical stupidity if we're going to continue to disagree. :angry-banghead:

16. SoCalJoe

17. SoCalJoe

18. Clevelandmo

Ha ha, he really is taking over Landon's role. Seriously though this is good news for MLS too. If players like Zusi dont have some good support where they are going or dont have the mettle of Clint Dempsey, then going to Europe can end up being not necessarily the best thing for their career.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Slightly dissappointed Zusi won't be going abroad. But, Mo is right. If Americans don't go to the right club situation there could turn into a bunch of journeymen, perhaps what happened to Adu.

20. SoCalJoe