MLS - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

Just a quick shout out to Eddie Johnson who looked pretty impressive in the first few minutes of the game tonight. It looks like he's back on the right track.

It did strike me though that AT TIMES he still looks like the Fulham Eddie that could find those creases in the channels for through balls and use his speed to get around defenders but not sure what to do after that.

But, for a former Fulham AND FC Dallas guy, I gotta pull for him. Good luck Eddie!

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Glad to see someone else thought enough of EJ's play to post that. I've watched him in about 3 games for Seattle and he is a good all around useful forward now but is still constantly testing the other side's defense with his speed. The added dimensions to his game are no doubt thanks to his time in England, Wales and Greece. I think he needs to be right up there on US MNT team forward list. After Altidore and Herculez, but before Agudelo, Wondo, Bunbury, and the rest. Basically the third choice. Thank you Sigi and EJ, keep it up!!

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I dunno about 3rd choice, Mo. He'd have to be a bit more consistent over longer stretch to make his was way onto the team again, imo.

Here's the MLS All-star team (so far):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2012/ ... -selection

Head coach will be Ben Olsen.

4. Clevelandmo

You dont have complete and utter trust in EJ? I cant imagine why. :shock:

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight Bill. Saw something about him a year or so ago where he gives a tour of his bachelor pad he shares w/his agent and a few homies which was a little disconcerting. I'm sure he has received advice, lectures, and diatribes about what he needs to do to go to the next level, but ultimately he needs to decide for himself.

6. SoCalJoe

Portland fires the coach and instead of having a rebound effect the Galaxy go up to the Timbers' sold out house and put 5 on the board. Watched the highlights and what an embarrassing effort. For LA it looks like Arena has the team on the upswing and peaking at the right time. 2 Beckham benders, 2 for Keane, and a Landycakes PK.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Quakes bring it for 5 against RSL. Chippy match and was lucky to attend with my little guy (root beer float nite !!!). Wondo is amazing...needs another real shot with the Nats based on his form - come on you quakes!!!

8. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

I had a crazy dream that FCD won a game this season. Please don't wake me. It was so refreshing. Zzzzzzzz... :shhh:

9. WhitesBhoyMIA

WhitesBhoyMIA New Member

Potentially the biggest acquisition of the season,...Kenny Miller to Vancouver Whitecaps.

10. WhitesBhoyMIA

WhitesBhoyMIA New Member

Wondo is great........for the Quakes.

Unfortunately and sorry to say, he shrinks when he puts on the USMNT kit. In a play on the famous words of Jock Stein, "The [USA] jersey does not shrink to fit inferior players."

Not ready to dismiss him completely, but he only gets so many chances. No matter how short they are.

11. Clevelandmo

OMG whitesbhoy are you freakin' kidding me - Miller - good but he will not do better than Mattocks and many other non DP forwards in MLS including Wondo and EJ. Especially since that slow Scottish whiner, and other Vancouver underserving DP slot consumer named Robson, will be attempting to provide service in vain. Serious mistake on Rennie's part.

12. nevzter

San Jose squeaks by Dallas 2-1 as Dallas missed a penalty in stoppage time (and earlier in the match, Wondo had a made penalty called off for a teammate's encroachment into the box). Story of the night though was Brek Shea losing his mind, yelling at his coach and then sitting at the end of the bench with a towel draped over his head after he was subbed. That, and he sucked last night too.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/mls/st ... f-carlisle

13. nevzter

For 'mo:

By FRANCO PANIZO

UPPER MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- Eddie Johnson may seem like a confident player for the Seattle Sounders these days, but that's only because of the belief his new team has had in him.

After spending eight months without a club and rejoining MLS this past winter, Johnson has shaken off a rough start to the season by finding the scoring touch that made him one of the most lethal forwards in MLS prior to his departure for Europe four years ago.

The 28-year-old striker, who has scored five times in his last five league matches and has earned a place in the MLS All-Star Game, attributes most of his recent success to being able to settle in with the Sounders and the confidence that head coach Sigi Schmid and the rest of the club have given him.

"When you go into a new organization, it takes time," Johnson told SBI. "Some people adapt earlier than others, some people adapt later. But one thing that helps bring the confidence in your ability is the people around you.

"The coach has been positive with me, my teammates have been positive with me, I've been working hard. [Fitness coach] Dave Tenney, I worked with him in Kansas City. When you have a bit of downspell in your career, it's about getting back with the people that helped you get to the top."

Johnson's downspell was a big one. After transferring from the then-Kansas City Wizards to Fulham in January 2008, Johnson immediately struggled to consistently get playing time with the Cottagers. Some chalked it up to him needing to get accustomed to life abroad while others believed he just was not good enough.

The following years saw him bounce around different leagues and clubs while on loan from Fulham. He did enjoy some success with Greek outfit Aris Salonika in 2010, and that resulted in then-U.S. men's national team head coach Bob Bradley calling him into a 30-man preliminary roster prior to the World Cup.

Unfortunately for Johnson, he did not make that World Cup quad, nor did he ever find a stable situation in Europe. In fact, he almost called it quits altogether after his contract with Fulham expired after the 2010-2011 season because of a death to a close relative in the family.

Still, Johnson does not look back on his time in Europe negatively.

"I can't say as a player that I played much, but I did learn a lot and I got better as a soccer player," said Johnson. "I'm happy for the experience. I'm one of the few Americans that has had the opportunity to play in the Premiership and I wouldn't change anything with that whole experience.

"You live and you learn. It made me stronger as a player. I had a chance to play some of the best players in the world and learn from some of the best players in the world, and it's made me into the player I am today."

The player Johnson is showing he is today is an improved version of the one that was creating havoc for defenses around the league just over four years ago. Johnson still has that trademark blazing speed that so many know him for but he is also a more polished and well-rounded goal-scorer, with his team-high eight goals standing testament to that.

"He's certainly done what we think he could do," said Schmid. "It took him a while to get fit, get his touch and rhythm of play but I think he's gotten that behind him now, so it's good."

Johnson admits that not being with Seattle for much of the preseason left him with a lot of catching up to do, especially considering he had gone the last eight months without playing soccer at a competitive level (though he did train on his own in Florida during that time in an effort to maintiain some of his fitness).

The move to join the Sounders, however, came about after Johnson and Mexican club Puebla had a falling out. Johnson had verbally agreed to a deal to join Puebla last winter, but the club later went on to withdraw their offer.

That opened the door for the Sounders to make a deal with the Montreal Impact (who were atop the allocation order at the time) to grab Johnson, who is now solely focusing on continuing to repay the faith the club has shown in him.

"Sigi, [general manager Adrian Hanauer], [technical director] Chris Henderson, they've all had my back and I just want to pay them back for them believing in me," said Johnson. "National team call-ups, whatever other things come on the side is a bonus. I just want to be as consistent as I can as a player and when you're consistent, good things happen."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... nders.html

14. nevzter

Oh snap - I missed this so allow me to retort, kind sir.

I still don't think he's ever received the shot he deserves in a competitive match - a handful of minutes in the Gold Cup and a couple of friendlies does not a complete picture make and he hasn't had very many opportunities at all. Sure he missed that "sitter" in the Gold Cup, but the fact is, he knows where the goal is. Against Concacaf competition, I believe he could do a job if given a shot, problem is as you say, he may have had that shot... He has obvious scoring instincts - give him some more time with the first team and he may surprise. Obviously, he faces some stiff competition now that Gomez is back, Aguedelo will be healthy, Altidore, Boyd and EJ rounding back into form.

15. Clevelandmo

Like the article on EJ Nevzter. EJ's not perfect but it sounds like he has his head on straight now. I hope things continue to go well for him. I was pretty sure when Sigi picked him up that things would work out. Sigi is a good guy and knows what he is doing, imho.

16. SoCalJoe

Brek Shea held out due to throwing a hissy fit at the coach (or something to that affect). However, they were playing the road joke that is Portland, and beat the Timbers 5-0. Hard to fathom, but Portland hasn't scored away from home in 697 minutes.. :shock: That's almost 8 matches :angry-banghead: The team has utterly quit since the firing of the coach, and is an embarrassment to the great fans in Portland.

17. Clevelandmo

Dont know what to say about Portland Joe. I feel bad. Spencer is a good guy and coach, I'm not sure it was time to fire him. His results seemed reasonable to me for a second year expansion team. I have to wonder if we dont have too many snobby fans, especially in Cascadia, who want to apply European attitudes to MLS teams. If the coach doesnt get results for the club after 1 1/2 seasons, lets throw him out. Lest we forget this is a new league that implements parity and doesnt have the salaries of European leagues. Can we really place the same standards on the coaching, produce wins or that's it. This early in the game should you not consider the youth, the playing style, the atmosphere of games, the fans, etc as a collective in terms of how you are advancing as a club. Anyway, at this point I want Darlington Nagbe away from the Timbers.

As far as Shea, all I can say is I believe he is yet another example of my assertion that at this stage in the development of MLS and US soccer, most talented players are better off attending a few years of college prior to playing MLS. Maturity, discipline and perspective are valuable traits for a professional athlete today.

18. Clevelandmo

Drweams do come true.

But seriously, a big congrats to the Dallas FC U18 academy for winning the USSF Development Academy National Title.http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2012/07/finals-week-u-18s-win-national-title

19. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Great sign unfurled at end of MLS All Stars vs. Chelsea match..."TERRY'S A GREAT GUY....SAID NO ONE EVER." LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

I've never tried this youtube thing yet but I'll give it a shot. I don't know if this only runs regionally/locally but...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFLfmWyssc[/youtube]

'nuff said.

btw...here's the link in case I don't do this right.

http://youtu.be/edFLfmWyssc