MLS - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Galaxy put a hurting on Seattle at the HDC (3-0), Tim did you go? Houston w/a solid 3-1 win over DC. Still 90 minutes to go, but it's beginning to shape up like a rematch.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Have been too disappointed to comment since the Quakes crashed out but due respect to Galaxy...the cream is rising to the top (the regular season 'bores us' theory, just make the playoffs and then crank it up a step scenario). Sounders have it all to do and they probably...won't - also, when you need goals, why does Sigi sub Montero for Johnson and not let them both stay on the pitch? Ms. Nevzter watched the last 30 minutes with me of the Galaxy/Sounders and asked 'how do they have all those "stars" on the same team (and why can't Becks play in his Calvin Klein's????)? Oh well, looking forward to the second leg b/c Seattle will be rocking.

3. SoCalJoe

A couple experienced 'see it out' performances by the Galaxy and Dynamo. I understand in a two-legged playoff that it's the only logical way to do it, but the lower seed getting the advantage of playing at home first, and then protecting a lead away just doesn't feel right.

4. sullytex

sullytex Member

SoCal agree although the DC pressure was not nearly as intense as game 2 against KC was on the Dynamo. The Dynamo actually could have scored a couple of times in the second half of this one. The goal to go up 4 to 1 was a dagger in the heart of DC. DC could have made this a game if they had a bit better finishing.

I fancy the chances of the Dynamo winning are a bit long but this team can obviously clamp down on D and if they can steal one on the break, who knows. Possesion will be 65/35 LA/Hou. I will be tuning in to watch on Dec 1.

5. SoCalJoe

Checked out stub hub to see how much the tickets are going for and the cheapest are going for $98.75 (without the fees they charge) in the General Admission section.
    Should be a huge crowd to see Beckham's (and maybe even Donovan's) last Galaxy match.

6. tim

tim Active Member

Given that there are still a couple thousand seats up on Stubhub, I'd hope that those prices come down. I'm fortunate in that a season-ticket-holding friend was able to secure me a spot in a pre-sale, so I'll be out there. Will be sure to post a report after.

7. SoCalJoe

It rained quite a bit the last two days, so hope the HDC had the field covered. The forecast calls for cloudy skies with only a slight chance of rain. Checked Stubhub again this morning and good to see there were only 300 hundred seats left. There were a handful 'singles' seats at the $70-80 + fees, but triple digits per seat if you wanted to go with someone. Really wanted to go, but wrong month to spend that kind of money. Looking forward to the live match report TIm.

As for the game, Houston has waited a year for payback and wouldn't be surprised in the least if they pull it off, but will go with LA to win it 2-1 in a hard fought battle. Keane and Magee to find the back of the net.

8. tim

tim Active Member

Cracking atmosphere at the HDC today (in fact, a record crowd for the stadium). Hopefully it came across on TV. The Houston support was strong and loud for the first half, but the frenzy that had the Galaxy take a quick 2-1 lead in the second half pretty much took them out of it.

A nervy first 45 as a Galaxy fan, and felt it among the fans around me. But there was a clear, decisive momentum turn wtih Omar Gonzalez' goal and from there, even though it was still 1-1, there was no way back for Houston. May as well have been 5-1 at that point. Got to see replays of both penalities and seemed like good calls.

Say what you will about Beckham; he's still got class. The long ball to Keane early that should have led to the opening goal (had LD not missed a practical sitter) was brilliant. He may not be a full 90 player next year and beyond, but he's still got much to offer on the pitch.

Omar was a deserving MVP. Amazing to see his comeback after a freaky and very unfortunate injury. I would think he's done enough to earn a permanent move overseas (not to mention regular US call-ups), but we'll see.

He wasn't on the scoresheet today, but Mike Magee has the reputation around here of Mr. November for a reason. Scored some big goals for the Galaxy down the stretch, and is the kind of player MLS should be proud to have around. And while I'm not particularly happy to admit it, yes, Robbie Keane's a good player.

The Galaxy stand to have a very different look next year. If, in fact, LD moves on, and if Omar gets a move abroad, that's three major players out. Tim Leiweke has said that he would like Kaka to come in. That certainly wouldn't do much to alter the perception of the team (and, for that matter, the league), but so be it.

I can certainly understand where some of the Galaxy hate comes from. It's highly unusual for me to support a team like them. But it does offer me a glimpse of what it's like to support a frontrunner. It does, in a way, galvanize a team and its support in an "us vs. the world" mentality. Peculiar. But fun today, at least.

9. SoCalJoe

Good stuff Tim, could of sworn I saw you in one of the many crowd shots (hopefully you set up the dvr). Atmosphere was awesome and came through on the tv. Luckily for Donovan the miss didn't come back to haunt him if that's his last game for the Galaxy, which I think it is. Hope if Omar does leave he gets into the right situation, because there is no reason he can't put himself into the mix for one of the USMNT CB spots.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/20 ... highlights

10. tim

tim Active Member

Joe - do you remember about when during the match? I do have it on my DVR.

11. SoCalJoe

Tim, it was sometime mid-way through the first half.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Don, in case you dont know they sing that song at the 80th minute of every game in memory of Timber Jim's daughter who was killed in an auto accident. He got word of the news during a Timbers game. It chokes me up every time I hear them sing it. Also, I believe the away support usually goes silent when they sing it out of respect. It's all very touching and probably my favorite thing in MLS

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the write-up Tim. I enjoyed reading it. I was rooting for Houston, but I can handle the Galaxy's victory all the same.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. I appreciate them even more now.