MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Apr 2, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

From The Throw Up Dept.

Great sports day for this fan....NOT

- Doing household chores and missed the US/Turkey match by accident
    - At the end of 3 quarters the Lakers are crushing the Suns, but that doesn't top the day.

Huge Angels fan and Kendry Morales (by far the Halos best player) hits a walk off Grand Slam in the bottom of the 10th and when he jumps into the crowd of teammates at home he lands awkwardly and fractures his lower leg. Surgery to follow and a lengthy stay on the DL. Frankly I want to hurl..

*** Kendry's injury will change the way all teams celebrate walk off homers

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: From The Throw Up Dept.

Too bad you're not a Galaxy fan, then.
    ;)

3. SoCalJoe

Perfect Game & Griffey Jr

2 topics and 2 posts... Sorry to our resident Tigers fan DaveNearDC for the kid Gallaraga losing a perfect game w/2 outs in the ninth on one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen. Would have only been the 21st perfecto in 130+ years. I will commend the umpire (not for the call of course), but his reaction to it. After seeing the replay the ump (Jim Joyce) was incredibly distraught (listen to his interview) and feels worse than anyone involved (even the pitcher was sympathetic after Joyce sought him out and apologized). You can hear it in his voice that Joyce will think about that call long after the rest of us have forgotten about it.

EDIT: Mo, if you go to espn.com you can hear it.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: Perfect Game & Griffey Jr

It will be over turned or at least an asterisk in the record books. Where can I hear the interview?

5. SoCalJoe

Griffey and Perfect Game

Part 2 because he deserves his own post. Ken Griffey Jr is the best player I've ever seen in person. I'm too young to have seen Willie Mays in his prime, but nobody played centerfield like Griffey. Plus he did it the RIGHT way. Not a weightlifter type, tremendously gifted who's game his last 6/7 seasons were hampered w/injuries. Griffey didn't start hitting 60 HRs starting at age 35, didn't start wearing a shoes and hats that where a couple sizes bigger than they were in his 20s. His game eroded with age
    NATURALLY.

Bottom line is no Ken Griffey and the baseball stadium in Seattle does not exist, period. It's The House Griffey built.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Griffey and Perfect Game

Griffey showed a lot of class in his retirement statement, and young Galarraga showed TREMENDOUS class in not only not criticizing the ump after the game, but by not even remonstrating with him on the field.

SCJ? Maybe not so much. Why take a salute to Griffey and then turn it into a tirade about other players? Just askin', pard.

7. SoCalJoe

Griffey and Perfect Game

HD, you're right maybe I shouldn't have gone sideways a bit (wouldn't call it a tirade, most of it was a salute to him, but I get your point). Griffey was overshadowed some seasons because of 3 or 4 players (with better numbers) that were cheats, he wasn't. "The Kid" is an icon in the Pacific Northwest and deservingly so.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: Perfect Game & Griffey Jr

It was a tough situation to be sure. I was watching it at a bar with a bunch of other Tiger fans and we could not believe it. However, the good coming out of this is that Galarraga and Joyce have handled the situation so well--both very classy.

9. SoCalJoe

Strasburg

Rarely does someone live up to and exceed the hype. 7 innings, 14 Ks, 0 walks. 101 mph, devasting curve, changeup. The biggest shocker, a full house in DC. Now, if the kid from Vegas they just drafted (500 foot shots with wooden bats) flies up the minors as expected, the Nats might actually become viable.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Strasburg

well, their predecessor [the Expos] had a long history of developing very high quality players and then selling them off to survive their lack of revenue from low attendances.

SCJ: I asked Dave Near DC about this on FB, but didn't get a reply. Is this kid's agent Scott Borus?

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Strasburg

Yes, which is why he signed a four year/$15m deal last august.

So he has three years left on his contract.

Which means he'll be a Yankee in two years.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The most impressive part of that debut to me was the 0 walks. Put gas like that with control, and he's gonna be great.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If ever I were stupid enough to own a professional sports franchise in the United States, the first thing I would tell my management team is: WE WILL SIGN NO ATHLETES WHOSE AGENT IS SCOTT BORAS.

14. SoCalJoe

No question, he will lie, cheat, and steal for his clients. Hence the line at his door.

15. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

Never thought I'd be posting about baseball, especially on this blog - but I guess anything is possible. Yes, Strasburg's agent is Scott Boras, who described the kid as a "once in 50 years pitcher". The Nationals, never able to learn a lesson, selected Bryce Harper with the first pick in this year's draft. Harper is this year's "once in 50 years hitter" as decribed by his agent, Scott Boras!

I'm guessing by the time both those contracts come up, Boras may actually own the Nats. Maybe he will move them and DC United can have the stadium!

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, it's July and I'm full of wide-eyed wonder.

But Joey Votto got screwed in the reg all-star voting, {actually too many good first basemen, maybe}

And we have a chance to fix that

vote for him

17. SoCalJoe

Got my vote, and between ESPN and MLB's (network and .com) pushing he is in the lead. NL is loaded at first base, but since these guys tend to play 2 innings they could have 4 (or just use the Votto as a PH).

Halo fans are pissed off because Jared Weaver got hosed. Not only are the Angels hosting, but got only one player in (Torii Hunter, the only other player deserving, Kendry Morales broke his leg). Jared should not only been on the squad, but could be argued to start.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

HatterMom and I were wondering which Astro would back into the All Star squad. Everyone is having an offseason. Michael Bourn was selected. He's probably our best hitter for average right now among those qualifying [around .270], but he's leading the league in steals and plays a brilliant CF. Truth is, NOBODY on this club is an All Star.

After gutting the club and firing their ambitious manager, the Astros have pulled the plug on the season. The fact that this has happened right after they had their first winning month is interesting. We're on our THIRD rookie catcher of the season, and there's 2-3 newbies in the lineup every night. I kind of like this approach. Anyone who looks fairly decent -- especially with the bat -- will be sold in the next year or so, but hey, I grew up on minor league baseball, and it's nice to see the kids fighting for the shirt.

Wait'll next year. If we improve SIGNIFICANTLY in all areas, we could go 76-86 in 2011! Woo hoo!

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

In all honesty Don, things here in Baltimore aren't any rosier -- Ty Wiggington, and his MIGHTY .250 is an all-star.

Trembley should have been fired in April, wasn't. It's been a month since he was canned and management still isn't anywhere closer to finding a FT guy.

Whatever. Tickets are still under $10.