Michael Crichton Dies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 5, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Of cancer, at home, yesterday

Jurassic Park, ER, Andromeda Strain... and much much more!

A broad thinking technology wonk and skeptic. My kinda guy.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Sad to hear he passed. His books were formula but I loved the fact that the scientists and mathematicians were the heros - my kind of guy too.

3. pettyfog

Re: RE: Michael Crichton Dies

Uhh... I really dont like to quibble incessantly Mo. But are you sure about that?

Seems to me the 'pure science' types were NOT the heros. I think that was the point.

I always took Crichton's underlying theme to be 'look out for Amoral - because we can' science.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I havent read one of his books for a long time but I've read quite a few of them. I viewed the typical formula as being - a crack team of scientific experts are brought in to analyze something or solve a problem, some people die but in the end the good scientists prevail. I guess I thought greed or power or government was always behind what ever problem arose. My thinking wasnt as deep as yours 'Fog.

His plots always involved an interesting & contemporary sub-field of science or technology, and he was very good at weaving the science it into a story.

5. pettyfog

But get back to the underlying plots. Technically feasible > commercially feasible > acclaimed accomplishment > Fix/limit results of disastrous 'unintended consequences'

Sorta like 'corn ethanol'.. or trading derivatives... or drastically changing our way of life to address 'global climate change'

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Andromeda Strain scared the crap out of me. It was the first that that popped into my mind when I first heard of Legionairre's Disease, SARS, AIDs, etch.

You didn't mention that, like Robin Cook, the man was a medical doctor.