Michael Bradley to F̶u̶l̶h̶a̶m̶ Toronto?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Dec 26, 2013.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Professionally, it's a curious move for Bradley but the money explains that away. We also don't know what the marketplace was for him. We assume Fulham would be in for him, but we're a 1/4 of the way through the window and the strongest rumors are of players leaving us or coming in on loan, not being bought.

As for how these moves of US players returning home affects the USMNT, on the surface it would seem to be a bad thing. But we'll have to wait and see. As Mo pointed out, there is a positive result that could come of it.

Is MLS really rolling in the money for all of these big signings and the rapid expansion model they've employed lately? Is their tv deal coming up for renewal? That might explain some of it. I really thought signing Dempsey would finally get me into watching and following the league, but finding when matches are played and the scant selection available for viewing was so frustrating I just gave up trying. This is the time of year when I wish they played the same schedule as the rest of the world. Football is almost over, NBA and NHL are in the dog days before they gear up for playoffs in the spring...just seems like this would be the perfect time to know that I could choose from several matches every Saturday afternoon. Of course, that's probably just me.

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the MLS TV contract gets renegotiated in 2014.

4. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm concerned about all the money being splashed out for players. Overspending and overhype killed the old NASL. MLS was growing slowly and steadily and was doing fine as a feeder league. This seems like financial hubris and this is NOT the economy to be having this kind of hit-and-hope excess.

Love,

Cassandra.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think today's television market has pushed away the folding up like NASL fears away. NASL didn't have much of chance of competing in the sports market back when there was what 3 broadcast networks? Times have changed, we have so many niche channels on almost every human activity. Today we have channels dedicated to cooking 24/7, back during NASL days I think those shows maybe a half hour on a local PBS station.

I think we'll know more where MLS is heading once this new TV deal is announced. Word is NBC is out and FOX/ESPN will split the games between the two of them. I'm guessing some $$$ is heading MLS' way.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

LOL. I just dont understand what Clint sees in Seattle or what Michael sees in Toronto.

8. Clevelandmo

A bit of info on the spending,

http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/09/mailbag-bradley-to-toronto-fc-u-s-national-team-and-more/

So unlike the NASL, MLS is spending money it actually has. To me, the altruism being shown by the MLS owners is pretty impressive because as a fan of a team other than Seattle or Toronto, I find it annoying. Portland has Will Johnson and Toronto has Michael Bradley - not fair and so backward. But back to my point. With the way the owners are working together in this league, I have to believe MLS will continue its slow and steady growth so dont you worry your little head Cassandra. Garber knows what he is doing and that hasnt changed with these transfers and salaries. I also believe the television ratings will improve, especially if they address some of the issues that have annoyed Matt. What got me watching European soccer? I wanted to follow Brian McBride, Dempsey, and other USMNT players so I started watching and got hooked on Fulham. I hated Roma due to FFC's Europa clash with them, but Michael Bradley being there made me not hate them anymore. That wont happen with Toronto and did not with Seattle because I have local ties to Portland so I will continue to hate those clubs. Fan fanaticism comes from something mattering and that usually means some sort of community tie. MLS needs to tap into that. American Outlaws is now huge and there are large swaths of the country hundreds of miles from an MLS team. There are entire states with no MLS team. For American Outlaw supporters in these regions, the USMNT is their club. With more and more top American players in MLS, these American Outlaw fanatics will now have to watch MLS to follow the USMNT's best players. MLS TV ratings will improve. I hope that makes sense. It does in my head.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

that should have been "so don't you worry your PRETTY little head, Cassandra." :banana-guitar:

10. tim

tim Active Member

This has been, and will continue to be, the biggest question surrounding MLS...if/when TV audiences will follow the investments being made on the pitch. As some of you may know from previous posts, I deal with TV ratings professionally on a daily basis, and MLS' TV audience is practically non-existent. All due respect to Michael Bradely, he's not going to make a significant difference in that regard. There have been countless theories on why the ratings remain so low, and what can be done to solve the problem, and perhaps if I'm feeling bold enough, I'll tackle the subject in another thread. But it doesn't say great things that NBC is bailing after so short a time with the league (and having invested in its coverage).

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good point, I thought the same thing re NBC.

12. Clevelandmo

This was posted in my xavi thread. Looks like a joint Fox/ESPN bid will double the rights to broadcast MLS. IMHO NBC's coverage sucks compared to both of those networks. NBC is out because they suck. Sorry just my opinion but perhaps ratings have dipped at a time when MLS attendance has increased because NBC doesnt get it.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/01/10/Media/MLS.aspx

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I've finally seen the good side to all of this. I can go back to happily ignoring SerieA again.

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member