Michael Bradley to F̶u̶l̶h̶a̶m̶ Toronto?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: Michael Bradley to Fulham?

Alexi Lalas has confirmed. S%!t :angry-banghead:

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, go to Fulham...not Toronto. Jeez, if I am going to be right about you moving from Roma I at least want the benefit of seeing you playing for a team I like.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:sad-roulette:

4. Clevelandmo

Well hopefully you will get someone you like on DC United as a result

Also being reported the Jermaine Defoe has completed a move to Toronto

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Seltzer @ No Short Corners is saying talks are serious but nothing is final.

6. tim

tim Active Member

Grant Wahl reminded me (not personally, course) that Tim Leiweke is running the show up in Toronto now. Obviously, Tim likes to make a big splash, and Defoe and Bradley certainly qualify.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around MB's motivation, though. I guess I have to go back to the same theories when Dempsey made his move: money and/or desire to be a big fish in a smaller pond and/or family reasons. Though, at 26, MB's movie is truly perplexing.

Could it possibly be some sort of loyalty/patriotism/desire to lift U.S. soccer by improving the domestic league? OK, that's just silly.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

at first glance, yes. however, maybe it's not so far off the mark.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Are we considering Toronto to be the US now? :D

We'll just have to wait and see what the contract is. If it's a long term deal, there's still a possibility someone can come along and pay some $$$ for his services in the top leagues.

I figured he would be moving on to a temporary place where he would not be sidelined on the bench just before a WC, but I wouldn't have figured a move on par with Dempsey (although it cross my mind briefly by just looking at the parallels of the their situations with their "European" teams).Does this really help the game in the US? I am not really sure. I get the impression that most soccer fans here pay attention to leagues abroad rather than the domestic league? I could be very wrong on that. Maybe keeping US internationals here would help draw or retain interest in MLS. I know I pay attention to how well USA team members are doing.

But still Michael...Toronto? Argh.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

So shocked by this development that it's hard to have one concrete opinion. Instead of looking at the big picture items i.e MLS popularity, USMNT implications how about focusing on whether or not this will hinder/help him from being the best possible player he can be (which I have no doubt he is striving for). IF he does comes back and stays in MLS for the rest of his career I would put him in the same category as Landon and say he didn't maximize his potential. However, it's his life and the prospect of raising his young family in North America and being compensated well is something that might be too good to pass up.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Money doesn't talk, it screams.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm still not buying it. Who in the world goes on loan from an active league to an inactive league? In the whole history of loans, when has this EVER happened?

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Is that a bad thing? At least MLS has the money to land big players on a consistent basis now. Well, everybody but DC. Ugh. I think that's what DC gets out of the Bradley deal...being labeled the current most inept team in MLS.:(

13. tim

tim Active Member

ESPN is reporting the deal is as good as done, with Bradley set to earn in the neighborhood of $6.5 million a year. I'd say that qualifies as screaming money.

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

It is not a loan.

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I just learned this today, but allocation order doesn't matter when it comes to DP signings.

16. Clevelandmo

This is my theory because it's' the only way I can wrap my head around this. Klinsmann and US Soccer are behind it in someway. Klinsmann or several people within US Soccer have decided that we are never going to compete with the top soccer nations when half of our players are in Europe and half are in North America. The national team has so little time together and often it's one MNT when we they are playing across the Atlantic and one MNT when we are playing somewhere in the Americas. If they are all playing in the same place, you can have an international friendly schedule that accommodates more of the core players and only require long flights of the players when there is adequate time. Perhaps, like a majority of the German national team players, Klinsman wants them all playing in the same league so they gain whatever additional familiarity with each other that brings. Also, you wont have situations like Brek Shea where a promising player that Klinsmann obviously likes isnt even making the bench. Maybe Klinsmann has gotten a taste for the lack of respect American players get in Europe and he thinks it gets in the way of them developing to their potential. Finally, if your goal is a certain playing style from the senior team down through the youth ranks, then ideally dont you want all your players playing and developing in the same league and youth system where that style is implemented? Maybe Klinsmann was able to convince Bradley, Dempsey, now possibly Jones and Onyewu that it was important to the national team to have most of our players in the same league. Then US Soccer and MLS have worked/are working together to find the bucks to make it financially beneficial for them

Yes, Brazilian and Argentinian players are scattered around the world, but dont a lot of people think those nations are underperforming on the International stage?

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

A lot of people love to live vicariously through athletes, and wish they would do things that pleases us. However, they behave just like the ordinary human beings they are. Young Mike has family now, like with any pro athlete only has so many years to play the game with the looming risk of a career ending injury. Mike is doing what any one of us, or the majority of us, would do--which is taking the best deal out there on the table. There really isn't much more to read into it. We would love for him to stay at Roma and have him fight for a place in the squad, but that's a risky proposition that may have no benefit besides earning a decent paycheck for the remainder of his contract. The Toronto offer is an excellent bet to see that he has his family well taken care of regardless of what happens for the remainder of his career--that's what any one of us with a family would do. Perhaps if Mike were single with no kids to think of, maybe he would stay and fight in Europe? But that's not his situation anymore.

18. Clevelandmo

This makes sense other than it is 6 months before the World Cup. Why would he switch to MLS right before the World Cup when he easily could have stayed put in Roma or gone to some other team in Europe where he is still playing at the highest level. While $6.5million/yr for six years, the deal I've seen reported, is too good for even him to pass up, I have to think such a deal still would be there after the World Cup. If he plays well, perhaps an even better deal would be possible.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Why wait for something that may or may not happen? He gets playing time and perhaps a break to rest as well? Although I suspect he'll head to the US January camp now. And there's a risk of injury...is it worth it to gamble away a 6mil a year contract?

Deal is done
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... to-fc-mls/

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly Heather. I would take a 600 percent wage increase to move into worse working conditions. It would not even cause me to blink.