Merry Christmas, All! Unbelievers, Too!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 25, 2015.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The time of year to reflect on not just the core meaning on the day but what it means to people in the larger sense.
    I grew up in a church where there would be at least one obligatory seasonal sermon on the commercialization and misappropriation of the holy day. But, myself having gained wisdom and understanding over the decades, that doesn't hold logical water when you accept:

"For God so loved the world that He gave to it his only begotten Son so that WHOEVER believed in Him..."

I submit that Christmas is the most inclusionary holiday of all.

I've seen read and heard all the arguments on how we've culturally appropriated various forms of Pagan Ritual and overly commercialized it and there is surely truth in that. One thing, though, where progress has been made is the abandonment of 'Xmas' as a written substitute.
    Even there, there were two distinct motives for its use. surely some did not want to offend none Christians even back then. But some used it so as not to blaspheme by worldly connection.

Reason has prevailed. Not enough. If it has, this wouldn't be kneeslapping funny
    [​IMG]
    Alinskyite upshot is that's from a commenter on a site where the operator is an Agnostic Libertarian.
    But how better to understand the abstract meaning than looking at:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/24/meet-the-jews-who-love-christmas.html

or reading this:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-christmas-i-love-it-as-much-as-i-love-diwali
    - Note I can't let part of this; Note the one miserable shallow thinking git - Tony Green from Ipswich

-30-

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Umm...I'll just say Merry Christmas all!