Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Championship ...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Aug 6, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let’s go Wolves!!!!!

EDIT: Thank You Wolves!!!!! 0-1 Final, now w/in 5 points and w/a better GD. Cardiff City mussed 2 PKs in second half stoppage! Caught the second penalty (really soft call), guy hit the bar on the last kick! Wolves coaching staff ran onto the field which pissed off Neil Warnock to no end!! He stomped about and when he was clapping his crowd he yelled at the Wolves manager to F__ Off! (Clearly heard it) when he came over to shake hands. Not many things make me happier in football than when Warnock is livid :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Yes, I was hoping for a red card or two, but two missed penalties in stoppage time is about as good. This is the way teams crumble...keep up the pressure and next week, we'll all jump on the Villa wagon. Anybody but Cardiff!

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I totally agreed with this assessment of the match too. Most of the match it functioned well as a sleep aid. There was hardly any build up, just try to pitch the ball over top of the defense and see if someone can run onto it. Really sloppy passing and very little movement off the ball. I wondered if both teams were having an off day or if I've just gotten used to a much more creative style of play from Fulham.

BarryWhite likes this.
  4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Norwich takes all three from Villa, so the team just below us and the one just above us have lost this weekend. Now's the time!

5. SoCalJoe

Even more positive news is Villa will likely bounce back after that performance against Cardiff on Tues.

BarryWhite likes this.
  6. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Full time: Aston Villa 1-0 Cardiff City

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Sunderland suffers the dreaded double drop by giving up two goals in the last 15 minutes of time and losing 2-1 to fellow relegation contenders Burton. The first goal from Burton was scored in the 84th minute by our old friend Darren Bent (he also played for Sunderland before). Sunderland drops to the third tier for only the second time since appearing there for a single season in 87/88.

8. SoCalJoe

Can’t ask for a better “need help” situation. Derby is in 7th, 1 point out of a playoff spot. They and their fans will be all-in tomorrow.

Haven’t decided if checking in on the score periodically or waiting until it’s over is the best course of action.

BarryWhite likes this.
  9. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

I was in a classroom and almost yelled out loud when they put in the second!

"Should Slavisa Jokanovic’s side win their remaining two games against Sunderland and Birmingham they will have 91 points, which would have won them the Championship title on seven occasions since 2006."

10. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Blackburn are movin’ on up after descending to League 1 last season. And...not only did they NOT sack the manager, they signed him to an extension. Tony Mowbray led them back up at the first chance. The 54 year old son of a Saltburn steelworker and scaffolder has an interesting resume. Good for them.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

From the BBC site comes these stats leading up to Hull City v. Wanker City:

• The Bluebirds have lost three of their last four league games against Hull, but won 1-0 earlier this season.
    • Nigel Adkins has lost four of his last five matches against Neil Warnock in all competitions (W1).
    • Warnock, however, is winless in his last six away league visits to Hull (D2 L4) and lost 5-1 in his last match there in May 2016 with Rotherham United.
    • The Tigers have lost just two of their last 12 home league matches

13. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Reading failed to do anything this weekend against Ipswich, which means they must play for their safety on Sunday. Unfortunately, the same can be said for Birmingham.
    ESPN Plus has two matches listed on TV Sunday...will one of them be the Cardiff match?

I am officially nervous....

14. jumpkutz

Derby was shiite before playing Cardiff at Pride Park the week before, spotted them a goal and, inexplicably, came roaring back to win 3-1. We really shouldn’t have beaten Sunderland Friday night...except we did. Don't think Birmingham and Reading are quite as desperate, given that Burton are at PNE (7th) and Bolton are hosting Nottingham Forest. Still, nothing is a given in this league, as we've learned all too well in our time in it. Squeaky bum time continues....

15. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I haven't listened or watched in 2018 at all and won't start Saturday, but it will be damn hard. I will be relying on the text messages from my friend in Dallas that has worked. I'll of course text him at 05:30 to make sure he's up and has GJ tuned in and ready to go.

16. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Don't text him at 5:30 on Saturday, the match is Sunday :)

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Me and Cauley will be there at 0630 on Sunday ... checking out BBC Sports to get the headlines. Craziness. I just hope Cardiff implode and I and wash the damn shirt! :)

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  18. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

right. but still. Saturday to make sure he's ready for Sunday.

19. jumpkutz

Villa pipped 'Boro 1-nil at the Riverside to take an advantage back to Villa Park on Tuesday night. If they can finish the job and make it to Wembley, it'll be interesting to see if the Duke of Cambridge shows up. It'll be a week after his brother's wedding, so he's likely to be in the mood for some footy.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Very torn about who I prefer to advance. I think we're light years more talented than Boro, but they have Tony bleepin' Pulis at the helm, and so the final will probably a horrible spectacle.

Yet I dont want to face Villa because they're actually quite good; but it may result in a competitive, thrilling match...