McCarthy next Fulham manager?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Apr 8, 2015.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...mccarthy-to-lead-promotion-push-31125989.html

Not the first time we've heard about Khan willing to spend big on a manager. It wouldn't shock me to see Kit go at the end of the season. I do think he is capable of being a good manager, but I don't think Fulham has the patience for any growing pains.

2. tim

tim Active Member

I hate, and I mean hate, the revolving door of managers. But, at the same time, I simply don't see Kit getting us promoted. To that end, I'd be ok with a change this summer. Mick seems like a reasonable choice. Plenty of experience managing in England, got Wolves promoted a few years back. I feel like we need the tried and true after too much experimentation in that role in the past few years.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mick can get teams into the Prem and can keep them there just above the relegation zone. That's his specialty. When he was fired from Wolves a few seasons back, he was probably the only guy who could have kept them up. He doesn't stick around long because he doesn't kiss the asses of the upper group. He also doesn't really listen to anybody.

Me? I just want to have only one manager in a season. I have no problems with Kit continuing for another season. It'd keep me off the British Fulham sites anyhow.

4. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The problem with the turnstile manager position is it makes the position very unattractive. Between manager turnover and player turnover the Fulham from a couple of years ago no longer exists and the managerial position is far less attractive than it used to be.

encorespanish likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure what is going on in Khan's mind, but would at least hope he would give Kit the entire season. The schedule has 3 of the worst teams and 2 of the best. If they limp home, Kit is probably toast (if he isn't already), but if they close strong (minimum 10 points) would rather see big money spent on the guys on the pitch. McCarthy is a retread. Not necessarily in a bad way, he's very competent, but wouldn't exactly register excitement. Besides, if there is a change I have to think Curbs would be given the first shot if he wants it.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

This report is bull crap, and I don't believe it for a second. If there is to be a change, and I don't think there should be yet, it shouldn't happen without reconvening the blue ribbon panel that "picked" (if indeed they did) Mr. Symons.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also think it's bullshit. He's likely getting Ipswich promoted this season; why would he give up another shot at the Prem?

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I don't doubt we've gauged his interest through back channels. If you're even considering making a change it would be wise to see what interest is out there & who you might have a chance at getting. The last thing any club needs is to throw away a manager only to find themselves unable to get another as good or better. Unless you have an untenable situation, like Felix.

That said, this is likely nothing more than his agent trying to get him a raise.

Now that Rigg is in place, I doubt we'll see the panel again. As to whether they picked Kit, I'd suggest Kit picked himself with 5 wins in 9 as caretaker. Without a clear, standout candidate, they were in a tough position to say no to a former Fulham player & long time member of the coaching staff after that kind of initial turnaround. Especially under the time frame they were given. I suspect our tenuous position in the table contributed to the urgency.

As for stability, the average tenure for a football manager in England was 1.44 yrs last season. As long as we can avoid another season of 3 managers, our reputation will be fine.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Exactly. And now the same fans that were insistent that he be named as manager on social media are now adamant that he be let go. The fulham supporters that chant abuse at the players and managers these days are really starting to bother me. I made the joke in the chat that I was glad they were on our side, I hate to imagine what they would chant if this were the opposing manager or players they didn't like. But hey, way to get behind the team guys.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's bad. And even though we're not playing as well as we did when he was caretaker, they forget how much worse we were with Magath. We at least LOOK like a football club now, even if the results aren't what we all want. Anyone can see how much better we are since Felix left. Perhaps someone the fan base respects can speak up (McBride? Hodgson?) to quell such nonsense and remind them who we are, the most respectful fans in English football.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The quality of our football this season is better than it was in the two previous seasons. I have no idea what rope a lot of these Fulham "supporters" are smoking, but I find my comfort here on this site and on my one-to-one relationship with GJ.

12. AggieMatt

I'd class the quality of the football under Kit as befitting the quality of our team. From what I gather, the vitriol is a case of expectations based on delusions, as well as built up frustrations over the past several seasons. That doesn't justify it though. I see no rumors of players or staff complaining about Kit and he has conducted himself well. His record of 12-8-15 doesn't merit that sort of fan behavior, especially given his history with the club. So much for goodwill.

Most confusing of all to me though is how anyone feels we can honestly evaluate him with the squad he has. I've read most of the complaints. We're narrow b/c our midfield is poor. With few wide options & deficiencies throughout the midfield, better to fortify the spine and try to force them to beat you wide. Our lack of quality at fullback doesn't help matters. Our talent at forward is moot with a poor midfield that struggles to get them the ball in good positions. Did no one see Berbatov here? Sean Kavanaugh plays b/c Kaca won't track back and Staf gets caught out too much. Plus, as I said, we aren't good at fullback. Roberts isn't a savior and doesn't play for the reasons Master Haynes stated elsewhere. I'm taking that one on a bit of faith but MH has a good track record for accuracy when I've been able to see the players he's talked about. Substitutions are odd or negative. That's every manager. Brilliant when it works, daft when it doesn't. The one beef I completely agree with is that there is no excuse for our set piece defense being so poor.

I'm not saying Kit is up to the job. But I don't see how so many of our supporters are so certain he isn't. Certainly not to the level that justifies singing "you don't know what you're doing." And especially not in the midst of a run of 3 results from 4 matches. Seriously, wtf?!?

13. AggieMatt

Good thing you're no Viking, or that could be misconstrued.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As we have discussed many times, I have serious doubts as to whether the majority of posters on British Fulham sites have a clue about football at all.

Speaking of no clue, I'm without one re-your Viking comment.

15. AggieMatt

Your comment about a relationship with GJ reminded me of his "I love that Viking" comment about Nevland on a broadcast many moons ago.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ah, yes. He's never quite lost his heart so completely since Erik the Viking left us.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Newest name to add to the rumor mill; FAT er' BIG Sam. His name was thrown out for public consumption by a sports talk radio host across the pond. When The Cheats was flying high early in the season, the whacky Spam owners didn't extend his contract. He will be out the door the moment the season ends.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Allardyce has been mooted for a month or so now.