McBride retires from International Play

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by CottageCrew, Jul 26, 2006.

1. CottageCrew

CottageCrew New Member

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not surprised by this at all. Pettyfog might be, but I expected this to happen. As CottageCrew said, Brian has been amazing both on and off the field. He is a class act and a role model for younger players here in the States and abroad.

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

It's very sad, because he was the main Fulham link to the national team, and it was cool to see "Fulham" get so many mentions in the US press during the World Cup.

4. martin

martin New Member

McBride represented his country well and was/is a great ambassador for American soccer. The only positive thing about Team USA's 2006 World Cup was the draw against Italy, and the lasting image from that match is Brian walking off for treatment with blood streaming down his face after the elbow. No one else on the national team can match his heart and effort.

By the way, are we sponsoring him again this year?

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: McBride retires from International Play

Yes, we are. Info will be in the email this week or next week. I am hoping people can contribute like last season for Brian.

6. Zack

Zack New Member

RE: Re: RE: McBride retires from International Play

If we have another player that has the skill and class of McBride we will be lucky....everything Brian showed on the field and the way he made himself to the media and fans off the field made you love to have him on your team and if he wasnt on your team you couldnt hate him b/c he was that type of player to make the opposing team get mad enough, but realize he was a great player......would be great to see him eventually get into coaching and teach some players how to carry themselves as a person and translate that on the pitch and help them realize that it can translate into being a good player and person.....Macca will be missed....hopefully he can come back for some friendlies or Confederations Cup????? and get to that 100th cap......come on Macca

7. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

A true icon in American soccer, he will be missed. I could see him as a future US National Team coach.

8. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Thank you Brian for your years as a USMNT player! Great player...seems like a cool guy (never had the chance to meet him so I'm judging by what I see in media hehe)...yep, he'll be missed. But on the bright side now he can concentrate fully on scoring for Fulham!

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Brian is a true gentleman of the sport and is a great ambassador for U.S. Soccer. Now he is Fulham 100% which should help him, and FFC, come the winter when we have a crazy schedule of matches.

He will be missed but maybe he'll be a manager in the future.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks, Brian. It was a pleasure watching him play for the USMNT. Good luck on the upcoming season.

COYWs!