Magath Planning Major Changes

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by AggieMatt, Apr 7, 2014.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We all know the squad is in need of an overhaul. It also appears Khan isn't reluctant to put money into the club. The Riverside development is still on track. He's paying off a number of coaches who have been dismissed this season. And we were active in January and it wasn't limited to the expensive Mitroglou signing.

But one of the warnings we heard about Felix was what happened at Schalke and how he had a penchant for a "raving hire and fire" policy and of buying in players without a clear plan for their usage, resulting in players being played out of their normal positions regularly. We've already seen a little of the latter.

Now this article doesn't sound too alarming, but it did ring that bell for me of those warnings. Guess we'll have to wait and see what he does, and also what he's enabled to do.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Craven-Cottage-even-if-Fulham-beat-the-drop

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a Greek guy posting over on FofF who says that
    a. the transfer to Fulham was pushed by Mitro. His club was more than happy to keep him.
    b. that Mitro is a good scorer, but is slow and need to be in an attacking side
    c. was obviously suffering from his injury in the matches before his transfer
    d. wants to do well, but doesn't have the pace for the Prem -- although he does have the toughness.

I think that Felix might do what Roy would have done had he stayed and what Hughes would have done had he re-upped: significantly change the makeup of the squad. I think a lot of players will go -- even if a miracle happens and we don't get relegated -- and that a completely different style and squad will begin the season in August.

3. tim

tim Active Member

Not terribly shocking. A lot of people here have long been calling for a first team squad overhaul.

Positive signs? He's big on youth, and by all accounts, our youngsters show a lot of promise. That certainly bodes well.

Potential problems? Unless your name is Fergie or Arsene (ok, maybe not even Arsene, the way things are going), managers don't generally have long lifespans with a single club, and as our brass has shown this year, they will not hesitate to dismiss someone they feel is not up to the task. Allowing a manager to remake a club requires patience. I hope we have it.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I say this article earlier and was going to post it, but I kinda put this article in the 'no shit' category. Fulham DO need a major overhaul regardless of what league they play in. Now, what Felix has in mind for Fulham will be interesting to see (if he is staying, which I'm more likely to believe than not at this point).

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Aww...finally, perhaps some clue of what Magath may have in mind. Wouldn't doubt it if he were looking toward the Bundesliga for some players:

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Fulham-ey ... story.html

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

this is nothing new. Remember all the players we were going to sign from Holland because Jol managed there? Lazy writers will be linking him with everybody in the Bundesliga.

The same was true of Hughes. We were going to sign half a dozen players from Citeh and a couple from Blackburn.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

What's more lazy? The rumors the writers come up with or the knee jerk reaction to dismiss them all as lazy journalism? :)

Since I've followed Fulham, a significant number of our signings have had some tie to the manager. Naturally, a lot of the reported rumors don't pan out, but the thinking behind them isn't too off target.

I just hope that whatever plan we adopt for how to build the team is one that we feel we can continue with and after Magath. I don't want to see a bunch of signings followed by a radical departure when the new manager is hired (like we saw when Jol took over). The average tenure of a Prem manager is at or under 2 years, so no, I wouldn't bank on Magath being here all that long. Swansea have done a good job of putting in a system that they've been able to maintain through multiple manager changes. The Monk appointment would seem to be a departure, but it's too early to say that for certain.