LOL: Fred Thompson Facts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 21, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You've read those Chuck Norris Facts jokes, I'm sure...
    Well here's a site with Fred Thompson Facts!
    Samples:

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Was this guy really involved in Watergate? I read an excerpt of his book that said he was the man who asked THEE question... but then after some research found that he MAY have been on "operative" (nixon) for the GOP.

FACT?

3. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

Fred Thompson is not afraid of the dark.....the dark is afraid of Fred Thompson

4. pettyfog

Re: RE: LOL: Fred Thompson Facts

You never cease to amaze me, Smokin'!

'after some research' .. I can just imagine where you found that crap.

In fact Thompson was a lead senate counsel. and it WAS he who asked the famous question. Nixon didnt know him from diddly until the thing broke.

I can see where you get the 'nixonian' thing though.. he DID ALSO cause the downfall of a crooked Democrat Governor. So it MUST be a repugnican conspriacy, right?

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Re: RE: LOL: Fred Thompson Facts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19675541/

as well as other sources... I dont have time to list them all.

I'm asking here. Thats all. Check this out and dont give me the well obvious its left leaning MSNBC blah blah... there has recently been a release of new watergate audio which demonstrates that he was involved.

6. pettyfog

The lead in that piece means what.. that Thompson is dumb, or the WH ops THOUGHT he was dumb? What did you get from that?

Can you find a Dem who says he's dumb.. or might it be they are scared to death of him?

I think I can find at least TWENTY hit pieces from AP in the last year that were later proven false..

But here's the kicker, on the same page:

Now let's see.... After he was a Senate and State lawyer, he PLAYED a GOOD GUY ..himself.. in the movie "Marie" So he became a actor. Now if he wanted to see just how good an actor he might be....

This is just amazing!
    - - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - -
    Look it's apparent that I am in danger of becoming all 'know-it-all-ish' here.. again.

Here's the point: Politics is now and always has been a nasty business. And the media has ALWAYS had a tendency to bias.

I cant even TELL you WHERE to start reading to get a grasp on the big picture, but you probably could start with something about the politics in and about the Andrew Jackson era through the Civil War. Make sure you read about Tammany Hall as well as the Hearst Publishing Empire.

Read on LBJ's early politics and Sam Rayburn as well. Go then to the pre-WWII isolationists, Lindberg, Henry Ford, Robert Taft.
    Find Richard Daley and the Chicago machine {the orig} stuff.

Read up on the 'Civil Rights Era' after oyu do some reading on 'Carpetbaggers' in the post civil war south. Then read Booker T Washington. As well as early and late W.E.B. DuBois. Dont read one without the other though.

7. pettyfog

All this is fairly amazing for what I thought a joke thread... the best part is the more I think about it, the less viable candidate Fred is.

He just is not 'political enough'. His entry scenario proved that.

8. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Do I get a retraction for this one? Nixon knew him and he was being coached by nixons staff... there is some sort of collaboration there. Do I think there is a conspiracy... well utilizing the loose definition of conspire... sure... Nixon was probably trying to save his image... then his credibility... then his respect.

What ever the case... his name like so many is involved in a scandal... I would like just once to have a candidate not have any such connections... unless through Kevin Bacon somehow.

You'd be surprised by the amount of the material above I've read... (i'm reading about treason, the pope, the jesuits, and Lincoln now)
    I do have plenty of years tho to interpret it and connect the dots in time to annoy my grandkids with my political stance on things... Hopefully intentionally teaching them something.

In the spirt of the original post, sorry to tangent there:

Fred Thompson is Very Sexy
    by Rachel Maddow on September 7, 2007 - 9:45am.
    http://www.airamerica.com/maddow/node/2806

He's in the running for hotest first lady too.... if only Kucinich had a chance!!

9. pettyfog

It does not SAY he was being coached, at least I didnt get that from it! Just talking to him and getting a sense of his views and take on the issues isnt all that 'off color'.

Those hearings arent actually like a trial where there's no politicking allowed. He was a Senate Minority Counsel... naturally the party would have access to him. There's backroom stuff going on all the time... that might not be a GOOD thing but it's normal.

And just WHAT would he be conspiring on... didnt he ask 'the question'? Wasnt that the damning thing?

- -- - What you're saying is you're looking MAINLY for dastardly deeds and nasty conspiracies... you must have read the Ellsberg piece, then.

That idiot said the same thing in the early seventies he is saying now. EVERYTHING was a conspiracy, we were only a heartbeat away from a dictatorship, and everyone was out to get him.

That may be why the government was so interested in what his psychiatrist knew.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One of Thompson's jobs as counsel during the hearings was to brief Nixon's staff on the Sentate's progress. Was this a little cozy? Perhaps. Was it ill-advised? Probably not. Is there a smoking gun there? Of course not. Why? Because it was not a secret then and it's never been one somce.

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I never said it was a secret. I said it was a connection. One that petty either didnt consider or didnt know about when he said:

12. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I never said it was a secret. I said it was a connection. One that petty either didnt consider or didnt know about when he said:
    I kind of want the leader to be as clean as possible... I DO NOT WANT someone who is more into their party than in justice, freedom, the needs of the people. "A little cozy" ESPECIALLY in times of mass corruption is too much for me. I'd start choosing my candidates by how little evil they've been invovled in. Just me.

I've never read anything from Ellsburg. I have no clue who he is. Thanks tho, for going out of your usual neocon rants to take the time to dedicate a thread to me.