Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

No kidding. My thoughts exactly.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I hope MLS has set a floor price of $2.5 million for any first team keeper.

Though the 'work permit' issue takes care of that quite nicely as long as the US team keeps selecting the british/foreign-based keepers

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Take that 5 mil NOW! Zat could still turn out to be a good player, even a great player???, but probably not either one at Fulham.

As for Jan, thanks for the service, you tried your best, but frankly your embarrassing.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Status of a couple of the players who've been bandied about over the last year:

1. Steve Cherundolo just re-upped with Hannover through WC2010

2. Damarcus Beasley is going back to PSV.

3. Good article on Gooch's prospects posted at Yanks-Abroad [none of them in the UK]

5. BC

BC New Member

Can't say much more than what has been said above. We need defence and we need to develop our youth system. I think that's where we should pour the money. Another quality striker is in order as well.

I'd love to see us go after Gooch. I think he could fit in well with Fulham.

6. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

In terms of more U.S. defensive exports, I would like to see Jimmy Conrad eventually make a move over seas and he is a decent experienced center back. Probably not the best idea, however as he hasn't been tested in the EPL. Gooch would be a great addition, although he has a rough time with the refs every now and then.

7. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=39570
    Wouldn't mind Beattie.

8. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

9. fulham7

fulham7 New Member

Im A critic but a huge FULHAM fan.
    Im being honest with everyone here when i say if we where to get 500,000 for zat knight it would be nothing short of a miracle. Hes not a quality player i agree he has potential but this is only if he was along side a quality team say top 5 like totenham. But they would never take him on. As much as i like him its time for him to move on hes been a good servant. Christanval is a good player who has no legs anymore, he is too slow but obviously was a top player no questions asked.
    As for the guy who mentioned Sidwell and Bodmer me being a realisist will tell you those players have already set there sights playing for european teams with 50,000 seater stadiums. Plus ofcourse Sidwellls already signed for Chelsea and Bodmer will go to Milan once they sort out liverpool. Ujafalusi was mentioned now i can say much highly rated words about him although im not sure he would leave Fiorentina unless it was a big move again Fulham isnt a big move. I do like the idea of Distin however hes almost certain to sign with Pompy because they can offer him european football and lots more £££.
    Sorry to bore people but i continue lee chun soo is not at fulham for reasons of football but because LG have made it part of next years sponsorship deal. Thats all fine and good because LG will pay for him aslong as he doesnt get in the way as Inamoto sometimes did (not denying Chun soo is good!) but Sanchez has no choice in him as he never knew he was coming, nor coleman.
    Last 2 points Beattie is poor and hasnt shown that class he had at Southampton since he left for one reason he has no hunger for Football because he earns so much. Onyewu is decent but very similar to Knight although i believe Onyewus career will go further than Knights.
    My Suggestions are as follows
    OUT=
    -Zat Knight (£1m At most)
    -Montella (loan deal cant afford wages)
    -Lastuvka (Purely because hes B*$£$%s)
    -Collins John (£2m Has potential but lazy!)
    -Claus Jensen (£500,000 2 stone over weight class act on day)
    -Simon Elliot (injurys galore)
    -Routledge (loan deal ends)
    -Mark Pembridge (2 seasons too long at cottage)
    -Ahmad Elrich (No games has to go)
    -Tony warner (doesnt like bench role)
    Ins=ALL OUT OF CONTRACT
    Francisco Pavon of Real Madrid (out of contract) *Centre Back
    Andre Bahia Of Feyenoord (out of contract) *Centre Back
    Distin
    Zoltan Gera (Out of contract) if W.Brom Dont get promoted
    Diego Tristan-Mallorca
    Jose Mari-Villareal
    Rubbish suggestions but i will thinks more ! Thanks 4 reading! Keep the faith!

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Don't know much about your Ins, except Distin and Mallorca, both of which would be good additions.

As for the Outs, that is a great start. (Still on the fence with Routledge, but think he could be a good contributor, if allowed.)

11. fulham7

fulham7 New Member

huh?>No offence but you might feel a lil stoopid when i say I refered to Mallorca as the team that Diego Tristan plays for. There isnt anyone in professional football called Mallorca ive checked lol.
    Yeah the ins are just people that are free and achievable. Im just not sure there is much fulham can achieve in the transfer market with a manager who is next to unknown!
    One things for sure we aint gunna be spending ova the £5mil mark on anyone

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Name association. I thought there was a player named Mallorca, and oddly enough, I thought he played for a top team in the Spanish League???

Oh well, not the first, won't be the last. But if there were a player named Mallorca, I'm sure he would be a very good player and speak very good Spanish.

ha-ha, if you can't laugh at yourself.............

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Routledge has certainly shown flashes of great potential, but I have to believe that if he were going to sign with Fulham on a permanent basis it would've happened already. I could be wrong though.

14. pettyfog

I think it would be a big mistake.

We're going to sell Top Ten team a 'diamond in the rough' who's apparently had NO coaching since he's been at Fulham and get a bench player from a lesser team in return?

Cheaper to hire a good coach.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

how could he have no coaching? Wasn't Cookie a terrific defender in his days? I understand that playing and coaching are not the same thing, but I would have to believe showing technique to someone if you've played the position before isn't that difficult to pass on....that makes me think that Zat's just stupid and can't apply what he's being taught! time to ship him out....he's a bum!

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Being a good player does NOT always translate to being a good teacher and coach. Look at Bryan Robson and Graeme Sounness as examples.

And the same holds true the other way....being a mediocre player does NOT mean one will be a bad coach. Mourinho and Benitez are perfect examples of that.

I am guessing both Cookie and Zat fell short in trying to develop Knight as a player. Cookie likely passed on some knowledge, but likely went about doing it in a way Zat did NOT completely take to and understand.

Zat probably did NOT go the extra mile to understand the things he was being taught. Perhaps I am wrong but he has never struck me as a player with good work ethic. He seems to be one of those players that simply goes through the motions with little to no emotion on the field which leads me to believe he does NOT really care about the team one way or another.

17. pettyfog

Go back to CC's infamous "These men are all professionals" response when tactics were brought up.
    I think that spoke volumes. Apparently Coleman was brilliantly self taught and what he did came natural. But it's not that way for everyone.

Being 'pro' does NOT mean you dont need help and encouragement in retaining and honing even the basic skills. Else why do all top tennis and golfers STILL keep a coach?

What is Knight notorious for? Silly schoolboy mistakes in clearance and distribution! That way before.. STILL that way! It doesnt 'come natural to him' thus he has to be coached to regard it as essential and repeat train in doing it right.

Once a player has the confidence in ticklish situations, time actually slows down and he does it right!

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'll agree with you that his clearance and distribution sucks!!! what about Loco from Angola? he was pretty good at the World Cup...
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Football ... 24003.html
    can play centrally or at right back so he's pretty versatile...plus he's got ugly hair. how can you not want a player like that on your team strictly for marketing reasons! i can see all the whigs in the Cottage already. :)

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Don't know if Loco is crazy, but he is definitely ug...erm, not easy on the eyes.

20. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Great players very often are not great teachers. I don't think it's too late for Zat, but he needs a change of scenery. Maybe Sanchez and his people will be just that...I hope this is the case. I'd love to see him grow into a great player at Fulham, but I think he'll be sold this summer. The Newcastle/£5m rumor is silly, but I can see £2m from Sunderland as a legitimate possibility.

I think Pearce and Christanval are our best players when healthy, but neither can be relied upon as full-time starters. We should keep at least one of the two - Pearce is my preference, as he's shown to be better at pairing with anyone. For a player who will be expected to fill in when a starter goes down, this is important. Another defender should be kept for depth, and my choice would be Bocanegra, since he's the most versatile. So, Knight and Christ are out, which leaves us needing two new starters. Sylvain Distin would be great, since we could get him on a free transfer. Sami Hyppia should be available, and not too expensive. I'd love to get both of them. Aaron Hughes from Villa is probably on Sanchez' list (as are most NI players) so he may be the Plan B option, but I'm not very familiar with him.