LOCKED: January 08 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

First off, a MANAGER must be our first signing.

Secondly, a holding midfielder and striker are the two most important positions to fill.

Lastly, loan signings will be the key to our season, IMO.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Any chance of loan signings that will take effect at the first stroke of the new year, so that they're ready to play against Chelsea? 8)

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

agree. we need to look at the top teams in the Premier League and find some of their younger players that are barely getting a sniff and get them on loan

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Ok...so i'm doing a little research at some possible loan signings:

Manchester United's midfielder Chris Eagles
    Everton's winger Andy Van der Meyde
    Aston Villa's striker Luke Moore (wants out)
    Aston Villa's defender Gary Cahill (fresh off a loan where he performed well)
    Arsenal's right back Justin Hoyte
    Arsenal's midfielder Lassana Diarra

anyone think any of those are possabilities and if they would be of help?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've heard rumours of Philippe Senderos of Arsenal. And, if we still had the old Murhino/Coleman connection, we might have landed Wright-Phillips on loan. The guy we should have signed 18 months ago is on the outs at Blackburn. That would be Benni McCarthy. He wants to be at a big club so he can play in the Champions League, but he needs pitch time and we could give it to him. [By the way, evidently during Summer 2006, we decided that 3 million was too much to pay for Benni. Dumb.]

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Eagles and van der Meyde don't excite me because right midfield isn't an area we should be focusing on and because I don't know that either of them is really any better than Davies. (Also because van der Meyde is a headcase.)

Luke Moore would be a great pickup if we could land him.

I don't know much about Cahill but after the bad experiences we've had with some of Sanchez' purchases, I'm hesitant to go after a player on the assurance that he performed well in the Championship.

Since Eboue will be away for a month in the ANC, I'm not sure Arsenal will want to part with Hoyte, and I'm not sure I'd want to have him here and blocking Omozusi's development in any case.

Diarra I think would be a really good pickup too, and while Spurs have been mentioned as a possible destination, I'm not sure Arsenal would want to sell to them.

I like the idea of Senderos too, and for what it's worth I think the Arsenal fans who say he sucks are a bit spoiled by how strong their defense traditionally has been.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not to mention how many posters on our own offal site believe that Dempsey, Konchesky, and Niemi suck.

I've been impressed by Senderos the last couple of years, and overall, the only Arsenal player who hasn't impressed me over the last 7 or 8 years was Pascal Cygan. If you can play Arsene Wenger style football, you're just fine with me.

Now if Mikey would just fess up as to who the three guys are we've all but signed, ... 8)

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

although he's totally mental, hossam ghaly would be interesting addition.

i like the idea of senderos, diarra et al on loan. lets also get steve sidwell or momo sissoko on loan, no?

and lets make a move for kasper scheimchel or andreas isaksson. kasper is finishing his loan spell at cardiff so maybe we can get him on another loan. or if sven keeps him as a #2, it will free up isaksson who has expressed his desire to leave if he's the #3. although a keeper is not entirely what they need, Fulham should capitalize on this great opportunity.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Appearently Mo has given Roy 15M to spend. Also there are reports saying Marlon King is gonna be our first signing. While I think he is not that good maybe he can come in and score some goals off the bench. I am not that excited about that signing if it happened. If this is true about the money then players that I have mentioned like Diaby and Senderos should be looked at and we should try and sign them. There is no reason to say we cannot get Diaby if the money thing is true. He is a must sign for us or at the very least Diarra. I could really care less which player it is as both have potential to be world class. We need a midfielder to break up an attack and be able to pass the ball. Diarra can pass and break up an attack, Diaby is like Vieira and will run forward with the ball and possibly score a few goals. Please sign one of them.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't see how Marlon King is significantly better than the options we already have.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Partenering with old teammate, Hameur, could possibly pay off. Of course, there is the pesky little fact that they played for a Club that could not stay up.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and that was primarily because King was their only EPL-quality striker. Once he became injured, The Dirty Yellows were doomed.

13. bq

bq New Member

From what I understand, the King deal was done before Sanchez was sacked and Mo felt obligated to follow through. I'm not excited about it either.Then again I'd much rather see him in there than Kuqi. I trust that Hodgson will get it all sorted out.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like Marlon King. I thought he was quite the scoring threat for Watford last season before he tore his knee up. As long as we did not overpay for him, I like the signing and I think he brings as much if not more to the table than any of our current strikers.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

the only opinion I have on getting King is how much is it going to cost? I think Roy should use the bulk of that transfer kitty to improve our midfield. If we want to employ a passing game as Mo has stated than we need a solid ball winner in midfield who can step in and win the second ball, and quickly transition it into the attack by using our wide players or our attacking mid (Bullard...Demps...etc.). I actually think Steve Davis does a pretty good job of winning the second ball, but I think his distribution is lacking. He's young still, and I think having a good, experienced ball winner in the side could only help his development. I think Roy should do whatever he can to get Lassana Diarra from Arsenal, be it loan or transfer.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A thought from someone off the 'offal' that I wanted to share:

17. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Those all sound like they would be good acquisitions. I think we would have to pay a really high price for King. Watford are in 2nd in the soda league and would almost put money on seeing those awful yellow kits back in the prem next season. I just think they have hit a stride of bad form.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Here are a few of the latest transfer gossip headlines I've read...

From the BBC: Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is hoping to make Liverpool winger Harry Kewell one of his first signings since taking over at Craven Cottage. (Mirror) Meaning Bouazza could switch back to right and Fulham would finally get some shape to their midfield.

News of the World: Roy is interested in signing Sami Hyppia to lead a suspect backline.

The Times: Reports say that Manchester City, Man Utd, Reading, Benfica and Fulham are all interested in signing American Forward Eddie Johnson. Fulham is clearly not favored to come out ahead in this one, but I thought it was worth noting.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If the Kewell speculation has any accuracy to it -- and I saw that and the EJ speculation on SKY's site -- does this mean that Cook is a loss leader?

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yeah I saw both of those as well. Is Cook training with the first team right now? I thought Roy said that everyone would get their opportunity to impress. Does this mean he's seen enough from Cook? I've been waiting to see the guy so I could judge for myself.