Liverpool v. Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And, despite the typical American reaction to 0-0 scores, I thought the match was absorbing. As it was in Wolfsburg, the match was decided on the backs of six individuals named Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky, and Etuhu. Will there be an end to the constant "Etuhu can't pass" and "Baird is a crap right back" after their flawless 180 minutes last week?

Probably not.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Correct, sir. But, then again, passing isn't at the foremost of his job description, as you know. His primary job is to disrupt, defend, tackle and generally menace the oppositions' attack - and now that he's fully fit this year, I think he continues to improve and impress in these aspects.

Granted, he has a high passing percentage b/c he generally sticks to short passes, aka, the only passes he can complete. He demonstrates considerable discipline in passing, but I think the negativity towards Etuhu's passing stems from his inability to hit certain ranges of open players on a break or sparking a run - granted, I don't expect him to be Viera or Keane either, however I would hope he could improve this aspect of his game. If he could add a bit more touch to his passing...Lord only knows, because he's a damn-hard worker and brings a physical presence that only a few can.

That said, a 2nd consecutive 0-0 at Anfield was great. The defense was fantastic (granted, no Torres), and the Aussie made TOTW on ESPN:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... nd&cc=5901

COYW!

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

FWIW, I have no problems with Etuhu doing one role only, the midfield wrecker -- I think he does it rather well. Besides, I'd rather he sticks to the short passes that he does than the 30 yard Hollywood balls that usually come right back at you.

Hammyend.com has a nice piece on Baird -- and a few other pieces all dated today, Dan must have worked really hard on this.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Since he still doesn't pass well, you're probably right. Every time he has a halfway decent game Don carps about this. Most people appreciate the things Etuhu does well, but you have to admit we'd be in a better position if we had a more complete player in that role. Whether that's someone else or Etuhu improving, who cares. But if both center mids can contribute to the attack (be it passing or otherwise) while providing the defense (or close) that Etuhu provides, the club will be better for it.

To Baird, he gets undone by speed. Fortunately, we played a very negative game against Liverpool and he didn't advance upfield very often. Left him with less room to get burned. He was also protected a good bit by Duff. Baird's a nice defensive player in the middle of the pitch. He's too slow out wide against most teams. I don't see how admitting that is to disparage him.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Are you talking about your reaction?

I thought that was about the best 0-0 match I've seen... lately, at any rate.

The only problem with it, same as any other of the technique, was that it could have been all for nothing with just one 'lucky shot'