Landon Donovan Retiring

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Aug 7, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

https://www.facebook.com/landondonovan

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Wow. Not really shocking though given the events in his last year or so.

A hearty thank you and best of luck to him in the future - class, simply class for the US and his clubs. He will be missed by the MLS and USMNT.

3. tim

tim Active Member

I will try to write up something a bit more comprehensive later when I've had a chance to put this in some perspective. But my initial thought is simply this: the end of an era. LD is probably the first genuine superstar American player (that is, a player who was well known outside of the usual soccer circles). His impact on the game is immeasurable, as have been his contributions on the field. I'm going to the next Galaxy game (Friday night against, yep, San Jose--wondering if that played into the timing of the announcement). Should be a special night.

dcheather likes this.
  4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If you plan on doing something for the front page, please start a new thread so I can promote it. Thank you.

5. tim

tim Active Member

OK, will try to write something over the weekend; tomorrow night's match will add some color. I'll put it in a separate thread.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Six hours after the announcement, I was able to score this on thecrew.com. Was holding off until Deuce makes an appearance there, but decided the stars were aligned, so off to Columbus I go Sattidy. 3 hours, 10 minutes from my house, according to Google Maps.
    donovan ticket.JPG

7. tim

tim Active Member

dcheather likes this.