Landon Donovan interested in England?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

According to Yanks Abroad LD's agent does not refute a Sky Sports story indicating he would be interested in playing in the PL.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lemme guess... but only in, or in easy commuting distance from, London.

I do so love it when I'm right. I suppose I have to search for that post I made on that long ago.

What the wifey wants, matters!

3. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I think he'd fit in well at QPR.

4. pettyfog

Re: RE: Landon Donovan interested in England?

You nasty boy!

heh...

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

has anyone pointed out that his poochies will have to go into quarantine?

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That should add about 5 more kisses to is PKs.

7. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Landycakes in London, HA!!
    That whiney pencil-neck wouldn't last 10 minutes in the PL.
    He would spend most of the game on the turf crying to the ref.
    OK, I am still bitter...
    MK :3d tongue:

8. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I'll beleive it when I see it.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ugh, Landycakes...

When can the marketing powers that be figure out that there needs to be another face as the pooh-bah of US Soccer? Jozy A, I'm looking at you -- pleeeeease do well in Spain and have your agent contact Gatorade, et. al. I am sick of looking at Landycakes as the Face Of All That Is Good About US Soccer.

10. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

Landy could do well in the Danish 2nd division.

In the PL, it would be worth it for the comedy, but not worth it for the hit US soccer would take.

11. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

You may want to stop watching the US for the next 5 years or so, Donovan's the top scorer for a reason.

I, for one, think Donovan's pace and versatility would endear him to playing in a big league like the EPL, La Liga, etc. I think the key is where and how he fits. Not necessarily a team in a big city, but more of a contending team that has something to look forward in competition that isn't regulation. Happy players tend to do better than the miserable.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for saying that Op. Since January, it has been obvious that Donovan is playing his best football ever. He is the most talented American lacing them up right now, and his pace and ability to work at midfield, wing, or striker is certainly EPL level.

The question is whether he's willing to do what needs to be done -- i.e. fight for a place in the game day squad -- when he can go back home and not do so. He hasn't been in the past, but if he's willing now, he's certainly able.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Don is once again spot on in his assessment. Well said and I completely agree. It is not a lack of talent or ability, rather a lack of want or desire to go abroad.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

That's the worst part -- it ISN'T a question of ability. It IS the lack of heart. I can comprehend that it's his life, and if he wants to live in LA with Bianca and his dogs, and turn 95 percent of all MLS defenders into twisted arms and legs, well, it's a free country, he sure can do just that.

Just don't tell me that he is the foremost face of US Soccer when he doesn't take the toughest assignments. If he sacks up and goes to Europe, and shows some brass, I'll apologize for every anti-Landy rant I ever made. Until then, enough with him as the face of US Soccer.

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

lets not forget, this dude also said he'd love to end his career while playing in australia.

the ninny isn't going anywhere.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Steve's preachin' the truff, bruddhas...

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard an American soccer player say.

18. pettyfog

And that response surprises me. You're an adult, surely you realize that many players view the world as larger than the pitch. We'd HOPE they do anyway.

How many times had you seen McBride whine about playing in Columbus.. or hint he wanted to be traded to NY or LA? Why do you suppose?!!!

Maybe he's been to Australia and likes it. And there's surf a'plenty there.

Especially in Donovan's case he wants to be where it suits his lifestyle, and his wife's. So if he goes to the PL, it's London. If he still wants to end his career in Australia it'll be Sydney.

I'm gonna say it again... for footy fans to continue to hold leaving Leverkeusen against Donovan shows how narrow-minded they are.

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I couldn't agree more. I wonder how many of us have done things as a young adult that we look back on and wonder what we were thinking at the time? I know I do.

20. pettyfog

I'm sorry you didnt get my point, Barry.. he made that decision as an adult, looking to live a chosen lifestyle, not as a soccer player.

If he'd made it only as a soccer player it WOULD have been a stupid thing to do.

If you want to look at the reverse situation, look up 'Kyle Martino'.