Knight out with broken jaw

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Dec 23, 2006.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

Zat Knight broke his jaw in a "domestic incident". A T-F-I poster said Sky said it came while horsing around with his brother and that he'll be out three months.

Not that losing Knight is a big blow (he has been starting to look like the old Knight in my opinion) but we're so thin right now that losing anybody is bad. Hopefully that will further spur us on to be proactive on the transfer market.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here I am, the only guy on the site who thinks that Zat has been critical in our much improved defense this season.

We're going to miss him. Good think we haven't loaned out Zakauni. Don't think Boca and Christanval can handle central D by themselves.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hey...I always thought he was better than advertised

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I think it is an early Christmas present to Fulham fans. Boca and Christanval were OK against the hammers. They need to comminicate a little, but that will come with playing together. The got to grips with the arial threat and the only time they were exposed where when overlaps were played on FQ's side.

Zat is trailer park trash and a punch-up with his brother has cost Fulham a player for 2 months - get rid of him!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Regardless of how you rate Zat or Pearcey, we have only 2 experienced CBs. Christanval is class, but he's also glass. He can't play more than three matches in a row without visiting the physio. We need to quit screwing around and sign Gooch. No way we're a better team with Zat out for two months.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

I totally agree that it leaves us short at the back, but right now I think we played the two best central defenders at the club against West Ham The only way it was going to happen was by injuries, and they needed to be long enoug to give them a chance to form a partnership.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD; I've always thought that Zat was better than he was given credit for, how many more injuries can the squad endure? Not sure how high of a priority a defender was on the transfer list, but its obviously moved way up. That aside, how bad can his jaw be?? 3 months for a broken jaw seems way too extreme to me. It has to be a terrible injury to have (he certainly doesn't need to drop 10-15 lbs), but can't you get it wired up and be back in a few weeks?? I remember Peyton Manning breaking his jaw and not missing a game.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

He broke his jaw in 2 places. But it depends on what and where. Surely there is a doctor on the site who can explain this!

As for Knight - I have always thought that his judgement is in question. He makes to many mental errors, technically he is a good player, but his reading of the game is not top class. Skill for skill I recon Zat is a better player than John Terry, but Terry reads a game so well and avoids danger that Zat will never see. Zat would be a really great Championship defender, where the play is less inteligent but he is not prem class and he never will be because he does not have the football brain to do it.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well, he'll now have plenty of time to watch tapes and figure out how to read the attack...
    as if.

10. Pape-Bouba

Pape-Bouba New Member

Every single year, Cookie comes out and claims he will strengthen the defense. Who do we buy? Gabriel Zakuani! An inexprienced you up-an-coming player. Hopefully this winter he'll get us someone that is rock solid at the back. Buy back Alain Goma?!?