John Wooden

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 4, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"giant" and "legend" are much overused in sports ... but not when talking about John Wooden. I feel confident in saying that we'll not see his like again, EVER.

Thanks for being here, Coach.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the youtube link. What a wonderful man. We could solve a lot of our problems if society as a whole would embrace his words of wisdom once again. Another basketball legend from the fertile soil of Indiana. I know you will rest in peace Coach Wooden, but you are missed.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The greatest coach of all time and an even better human being. He was above all a teacher. My first sports love was college hoops and have been lucky enough to see him in person (from afar) 4 times, and you can't help but stray from the game to see what Wooden was doing. You walk into Pauley Pavilion and look up at all those banners and you couldn't help be in total awe of the Wizard of Westwood. His Pyramid of Success has influenced millions of non-sports fan. Jerry West was right in his quote "All those people that are considered 'icons' don't compare to him." So many great quotes, but here a few:

-Happiness begins when selfishness ends
    -If you don't have the time to do it right when will you have the time to do it over?
    -Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
    -Never mistake activity for achievement
    -Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

http://www.coachwooden.com/

I use a few different resources in my life for teaching leadership. The first few are military related. The first civilian site I use is this one.

Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable -- JW

RIP coach.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Legendary in just about every aspect. What an incredible life and legacy.