January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Nov 27, 2011.

1. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Wow, so much for not selling to QPR. This should be interesting.

2. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Easily one of the worst transfer windows we have had. Once we knew Barrios wouldn't sign, we shouldn't have let Zamora leave. We have one of the worst forward groups in the premier league and have to hope a player like Trotta can score goals at this level. If Sa and AJ play like they have all year, we could get dragged into the relegation battle.

Not only did we not sign a good forward, but we haven't let players like Gecov, Briggs, Frei and Kasami leave on loan. These players are rarely going to play for us, so why not let them leave on loan to gain experience? There isn't going to be much development from training alone and playing in the championship could have provided valuable experience. It's better than not making the bench or sitting on it.

I wasn't expecting much, only a forward and letting players leave on loan, and the club has failed those minimal expectations. Hopefully we can find goals from somewhere and get into the top ten and build our team in the summer. We have had an unlucky first half of the season and most of it was without Zamora so maybe our luck will change and we won't miss Zamora much.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Bloody hell - no replacement in either. :evil:

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Sa, Trotta, AJ, the Russian and Demps if we need him. Dalla Valle in the reserves as well. Keep calm my brethren!

5. nevzter

It's Fulhamish to vent over club situations I can't control! :dance: But, this is my opinion on our striking options:

Trotta - unproven
    Sa - unproven
    AJ - you can't pump balls into the box for a member of the lollipop guild
    The Russian - did Fulham really sign this guy? I didn't know it was confirmed
    Dempsey - isn't as effective as the hold-up player - see last season

Just doesn't look to good - where's David Elm and Kuqi when you "need" them?

Fairly disappointed in Bobby's sale, and especially to QPR.

6. SCFulhamFan

My two cents on Sa:

Runs on the ball well. Solid strike against Norwich. Gets on balls in the air but needs to finish (Norwich).

We lose a hold up player in BZ but I am hoping we will be more flowing and not need that route 1 crap anyways. Time will tell but if we do get 3 tomorrow we will be off to the races.

7. Benny

Benny New Member

Fairly gutted about Zamora. Can't believe it honestly. We are not very deep up front. Hopefully our new Russian international will be decent.

8. tim

tim Active Member

We sold Zamora and don't have a proven replacement? To QPfrigginR? The next three months just got a whole lot more interesting. And not in a good way.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

It seems we've been feast or famine on scoring this season....mostly famine. From that perspective, this makes no sense. I hope I'm wrong, and our remaining options up front step up. If a guy doesn't get on with the skipper, no reason not to make a move, but the newbies don't, at least on paper, appear to make up for it. Fortunately athletics doesn't play out on paper. The ever elusive consistency is what needs to happen with the ENTIRE team, coaches AND players. As always time will tell. Now we just need to take care of business against West Brom. COYW!

10. RDG

RDG Member

Sorry to see Bobby Z go, though there was a time I was ready to kick him out the door. However, 4M GBP for him? Ugh. Didn't FFC pay 4.8M?? :angry-banghead:

Here are some texts on the BBC site:

Stuart, bemused Fulham fan, via text : "'One Pogrebnyak, there's only one Pogrebnyak.' That's going to be an easy chant on the Cottage terraces!"

MrJempson on Twitter: "Only Fulham would sell their main striker on the cheap on deadline day and to their biggest rivals without a decent replacement."

From anonymous via text: The most publicity our Fulham have got for a while. Rivals QPR getting a bargain for Zamora, him and Cisse will keep R's up. Come on Martin replace him with Tevez!!!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Did we really sell Zamora to QPR and Mark Hughes? I'm speechless. And here I thought Mo was better than me when it came to holding grudges.

12. nevzter

This is probably in Jol's plans to not "need" a hold-up striker - maybe so, but for the club to still sell him to QPR...I remain able to wrap my mind around the deal. 4.0 for an English striker? Tad bit low, don't you think, even given his age?

COYW

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, since my second team is VFB Stuttgart (although I haven't been able to follow them in recent years) I decided to look at their forums. The general reaction is they're glad he's gone, and some feel he might do well in another system. I get the sense he rubbed some fans the wrong way with his personality. Quite a few were having a chuckle over how Fulham were linked Barrios and ended up Pavel. One VfB supporter wondered where the goals were going to come from with us having 5 strikers and 12 goals between them and now have Pavel. One immediate reply was that Fulham sounded like Vfb Stuttgart. Perhaps I shouldn't have visited the Stuttgart forums to cheer me up. :angry-banghead:

Oh well, he's a Fulham player now. And I will hope for the best.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The only plausible explanation is that Zamora was a cancer of the highest order in the locker room. How else can you rationalize this move to the supporters?? On the cheap (if that is indeed the fee), to a rival, and to the ex manager that you had a public feud with?

You have to grade transfer windows more than once. The initial grade after it closes, and then down the line to see how everything pans out. The team has done a good job at stockpiling youngsters and did so again this window and for a club the size of ours that's vital. So in that regard well done. The team we see on the pitch every week just got worse. Can you blame AJ for not wanting to go to that sinking ship in WIgan? If that deal had gone thru and Rodallega was here than it would be a lot brighter. However, it didn't and now our strike force is less than adequate. The only positive thing at the moment is that there is some really bad squads at the bottom. On the surface the grade I would give is a D+

15. SCFulhamFan

Reposted from FoF with Ordar's promission:

I think he hits the nail on the head about the Grimmer and Williams signings.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'll definitely agree that the team didn't waste a lot of money. I think most of us are grumbling is because we just lost one of our better goal scorers to our rivals (albiet not very good goal scorer this season) without adequate back-up. Fulham needed a proven goal scorer in the Prem, and it's unlikely Pog fits the bill. He hasn't played a game for us yet so we'll have to give him time. But that's not a luxury Fulham can afford. Overall, I agree with Joe that young players seem to be a good move and cost us little money.

But we need Pog to outperform his recent track record, and it needs to be done in the Premiership. I don't have high hopes this feat can be accomplished. But I would love for the guy to prove us whiners wrong.

And hope we can get some good signings in the summer.