January 2010 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Oct 24, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'd rather have Jason Roberts, but I could see McCarthy doing some damage for us. I'd think either of the two are another Zamora rather than a partner to him though. Of course, we don't really have a backup at striker who plays Bob's role either, so maybe that's what Roy is targeting.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

McCarthy WAS a top forward. He's simply not a player that is any better than we already have.

I agree with the dicgakoi comment. I'm not sure why anybody would bash a player who wants to gain more playing time so he can go to a World Cup. Plus, there's nothing bad about letting a foreign player gain more playing time in England. Its a win-win.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not sure I buy the idea that either McCarthy or Roberts would be a good pair with Zamora; they both seem too similar to him in style. Plus they're both on the wrong side of 30.

On the other hand, as FulhamAg points out, we don't really have a backup target striker. (Dempsey has played there but is a poor fit; David Elm is theoretically that type but who knows whether he's any good?) But would either of those guys take a role as a backup?

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He probably still is, and just isn't fulfilling his potential currently.

And I agree with the Aggie that Fulham might be interested in finding a backup to Zamora. Altidore would fit the bill, but it is probably not the time to buy him.

McCarthy is also not a hold up forward (IMO), so not similar to Zamora... McCarthy is comparable to Darren Bent perhaps.

I'm not saying we should go get McCarthy, but I think he still has some goals in him.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm still pissed that we passed McCarthy by 2.5 years ago at 2 million quid because "he wasn't Prem material." If he'd had his first season with us rather than with Rovers, things would have been much better.

And he would have most definitely picked us over Blackburn. He said he wanted to play in london.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

If AJ can get healthy in the next month, that's a better option than adding a McCarthy or Roberts in my view. That's a big "if" though...

7. RobG4

RobG4 New Member

EPL Talk is postulating Craig Bellamy for Fulham.

What do you guys think? I don't know much about him besides a hot-head reputation, does good charity work, and seems to score every time I watch a City match this season.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think we might be one of the 8 or 9 clubs he hasn't played with.

When he's fit, he's lethal. Problem is that he is a walking sick note. He also has been a locker-room disruption. If we didn't have Duff, he'd look a lot more attractive to me, but I think Damian is a better fit than Bellamy.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think Bellamy has matured some and I'm pretty sure Roy & company can handle him. Fulham is a veteran team and very professional, and Bellamy will have to behave.

He's a lot better than Andrew Johnson who he'd really be replacing.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Bellamy would be an amazing signing that would out us right up there with the top 6. He has had issues in the past, but I think that's behind him and agree with Lyle's comment that Roy could probably handle him. I doubt this ever happens though.

Apparently Arsenal is interested in King Gyan. King is on loan at Germinal Berschott in Belgium and apparently he's progressed really well. There's talk that he could return next month. Hopefully we keep him.

We were also linked to a Czech striker by the name of Jakub Hora and a Polish striker with the last name lewandowski or something like that. Both players would probably be for the future rather than right now.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not sure how I feel about Bellamy. He's really good, certainly, but there's a reason why he's bounced around all over the place since he left Newcastle. While I think Roy COULD handle him, I'm not sure he's inclined to do so. There are plenty of talented players who aren't giant assholes who attacked the brother of one of our current players with a golf club. THAT would certainly be an interesting first day of training.

Arsene Wenger is a dick and he should do his own scouting rather than poach our prospect after we signed him and then paid him for three years while he was over in Belgium. (But for what it's worth, givemefootball.com appears to be the only source reporting that rumor so I'm a little skeptical about its credibility.)

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I don't see Roy signing Bellamy. He's a good player, but he's not disciplined enough for a Hodgson team.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We have been linked to Alan Hutton. At first I thought this would be a stupid move, but of we could sign him on a loan deal as soon as the window opens, then it might actually be a good move. Pantsil will be missing and Kelly isn't nearly as good as Pantsil. Hutton could provide an option for awhile and then provide competition til the end of the season.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Honestly, if we need more depth at right back, I'd just as soon simply bring back Volzy. He's not under contract anywhere and he's been training with the team this fall (according to Wikipedia anyway) so they wouldn't have to worry about a new personality potentially poorly meshing with the rest of the group.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

In Fulham v Swindon:

EJ is halfway out the door. I dont see him being played when negotiations are taking place. I've heard Fulham is in discussions with a Greek club. I'd rather see him back in MLS if that is the case.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Source?

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Just a news search..

I'd be surprised and think Roy wasnt doing his job if EJ werent on the block.

If he isnt on the roster regularly by now, there's no reason to keep him.

Back to MLS.. I dunno. I think that might be good for some players, probably not EJ. Should go to Belgium or Holland. Or 2nd div.

And NOT a nordic team, he'd never come out.

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The out the door part 'fog took care of. As far as Greece, just a few fans of Thessalonikis on FFC message asking about EJ and if he is any good. They say the club is in negotiations with Fulham.

The only reason that I prefer him back in MLS is because I'm sure that he could play

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The problem with him in MLS is the same as when he left and now. He's a streaky player and his head case keeps at him.

There's only a few coaches in MLS could address it.. and ONE is at Dallas who already has Cunningham. You might think Sigi could but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I would'a said Warzycha before the October flameout.
    Things change but things stay the same too... if EJ had been on the 2008 Crew, he'd have been magnificent. 2009 Crew, he'd probably have disappointed as usual.

ALSO.. and this is important... he's now on designated player wages. NO ONE in MLS is gonna buy him at that wage, so will he work for under $400K?

Now, here's what pops into my head. If he comes back to MLS it just might be to the Revs.

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A Greek team is reportedly interested in EJ. link is at the bottom of the page if you can translate :lol: