January 2010 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

A couple of Interesting Gossip Transfers on the BBC thought you would like to see, maybe John Arne will get a better offer again we will see:

Birmingham, Fulham and Celtic are heading the chase for West Brom's Slovenian international Robert Koren if he does leave the Baggies. (Daily Mail)

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has joined Real Madrid and Everton in the chase for Middlesbrough winger Adam Johnson - and could start the bidding war with a £3m offer.
    Full story: The Sun

Fulham hope to sign Roma's former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise for £3m in January to team him up with his younger brother, midfielder Bjorn Helge, who is already at Craven Cottage.
    Full story: Daily Express

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Johnson and Riise look good to me, but not Koren. We already have a statue at Craven Cottage.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

About Balotelli, one reason that Woy let Jimmy Bullard go was because he stepped to the beat of his own drummer one time too many for Woy's taste. a 19 year old pain in the ass like Balotelli playing for Fulham? I don't see it. Also, the 46 year old pain in the ass coach that Inter has loves the guy.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

I can't fathom why Roma would sell Riise. The other players who've played left back for them over the past two seasons have been Max Tonetto (who'll be 35 in a couple of weeks), Marco Cassetti (who's naturally a right midfielder), and Nicolas Burdisso (who's naturally a center back, and will presumably be returning to Inter at the end of his loan next summer. I guess it's possible that they think Antunes is ready to be the guy, but you'd figure they'd want him to get some more league matches under his belt before they let Riise go, and he hasn't even been on the field yet this year.

That being said, if Riise were available, that'd be a good pickup by Roy. For some reason I thought he was in his mid-30s already, but he's actually only just turned 29, all of 8 months older than Konchesky. Plus his brother is here and (as we all know) Roy is the Pied Piper of Scandinavian Footballers. Seems like it'd be a no-brainer if it were actually a realistic possibility.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Here's a few players that have been linked so far.

Johan Audel-Valenciennes
    Ruud Van Nistletooy- Real Madrid
    Daniel Osvaldo- Bologna
    Roman Pavlyuchenko- Tottenham

Paul Koncheskey to Sunderland.

We have been linked to more players, but the names are escaping me right now. It should be noted that all 4 players above are forwards. Its obvious Johnson is going to be out for awhile and Roy doesn't trust EJ or Elm. Audel has only played 7 games this season with 2 goals scored and Osvaldo is not really doing much for Bologna. I hope we don't go down the Elm route again. I would love for Ruud to join us or even Pavlyuchenko. Ruud isn't going to play for Madrid so its worth a shot. Liverpool could sign him though.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'arry won't let Pavlyuchenko come to us, and we don't have the money to sign Horseface. After watching The Undead outmuscle Arsenal yesterday, I would think that BOTH they and Liverpool would be interested in Ruud.

Both Osvaldo and Audel are promising players, and I agree we need to get a striker in the January sales. I've also heard that we might make a move to get the other Riise brother. That would suit me fine.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

If not a BIG name, I think we may finally be considering an almost-BIG name. No idea who it may be, but a striker would make the most sense.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'd like to know where you(hatter) heard that Osvaldo was promising? He's been pretty shit for Bologna and we shouldn't accept shot players from shit teams.

I wouldn't mind begging Arsenal for Vela on loan. Or going to Chelsea and getting Sturridge on loan. I'm not sure we can pick up a quality player that we would actually want in the middle of the season. Also, I wouldn't mind picking up another winger and putting Dempsey up top for the rest of the season.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Can't imagine any team would want to pick up PK and his balky knee right now.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Even bearing in mind his balky knee, I can't imagine Roy would sell Konchesky unless he'd already signed (or at least lined up) an adequate replacement. Riise is the only rumor we've seen on that front, as far as I'm aware, and I still can't figure why Roma would sell him.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

what a maroon.

1. He spent THREE transfer periods trying to get here and now he wants to move?
    2. He got schooled like a rookie against Wet Spam and goaded into a retaliation you wouldn't exptect from a youth-team player.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

If we thought Peter Crouch was silly to go to Spurs when coming to Fulham would guarantee him a lot more playing time in advance of the World Cup, in order that he would be more likely to play for England next summer, I don't think we can now say it's unreasonable for Chicago to want to go somewhere that he can play regularly in order that he can impress his national team manager in the same way. I mean, it's not like he wants to be sold, he says right here "if there is a loan possibility, then I hope the club will let me go - just so I can prepare myself for the World Cup." Sounds reasonable to me.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

From the article Nev linked:

That doesn't suggest we'll be looking to bring anyone of note in during this window.

Maybe signed the wrong Elm afterall. Getting a guy and then moving him that quickly would suggest someone dropped the ball on the scouting end.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Dikgachoi is seriously grinding me to a halt.

From the above quoted article in soccernet --

Come on now! Show me a gaffer who would care more about handing one player an opportunity above more capable replacements and I will show you someone who is unemployed. You pulled a total moron maneuver in your first and two better players have taken your spot. Too danged bad. If you got a beef about it, Greening (and Baird, for that matter) isn't exactly Real Madrid material, beat him out of a job. But hey, Woy should be more concerned about your World Cup prospects than trying to beat Burnley and Man U.

Then again, I hope he is loaned out. I hear Grimsby and Darlington need defensive mids. Enjoy your time there Dikgachoi.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We have become favorites to sign Benni McCarthy because Blackburn is going to sign Roberto Soldado. I'm not too excited about this development and it really sounds like we're going bargain shopping during the transfer window. I still think we need another top forward to really push ahead, but whatever.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think we're pretty fat in all but two categories:

1. striker
    2. left back

but I'll be happy to get whoever Roy digs up.

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Why are you guys giving Dikcagoi a hard time? He's not complaining about Fulham, but about losing his spot on the RSA World Cup squad. Same as DeMarcus Beasley up at Rangers and lots of other players around the world. They're only look out for their professional careers. Nothing wrong with that.

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Benni McCarthy isn't a top forward? He'd probably fit in nicely with Zamora.