January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

2. jmh

jmh New Member

That's an interesting one... when on the field Barnes has been something of a bright spot for Derby through their relegation last year and rough go in the CCC so far this year, and I'm kind of surprised they'd let him go, whether on loan or a permanent basis - they're actually in the relegation zone AGAIN this year and have some work to do if they don't want to end up in League One this fall.

He missed a fair bit of time last year and this year with knee and foot injuries though (the BBC article says he's not completely match fit), which makes me wonder how the medical will work out for him.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'm hopeful -- Barnes was the only good player for Derby at times last year, and I hope he's fit. he has the game to be considered for an England call up, and I am glad to see him with an opportunity for the Ws. If Derby wants to let him go, well, screw 'em, hope they get relegated again.

Also, his comments about Paul Jewell are interesting --

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 842914.stm

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Just a reminder, but EJ has yet to hit the back of the net in Britain.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Isnt Kamara going to ready soon? That should apply some competitive pressure at striker. Certainly more than EJ can apply.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I guess the problem is, if he's not quite in good enough match shape to help Derby battle relegation, what is he going to accomplish for Fulham?

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Agreed, my greatest fear in the loan deal is that Fulham will end up paying his wages while he just works back to match fitness. If that is the case, what can we expect... a handful of appearances from him? No thanks.

Kamara will be a massive return for Fulham and will more than likely replace Zamora in the starting XI. I like Bobby's work rate, but it hasn't translated to goals. For all of Kamara's faults he can net a goal every few matches and causes problems to defenders with his pace which will stretch defenses. With AJ and Kamara in attack there is enough blistering pace there to create a few quality opportunities each match.

Still hoping for Huddlestone and Delph. IMO, I believe we won't skip a beat if Huddlestone comes into the fold. He is composed, aggressive, thunderous shot and his size won't hurt us on set pieces either.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

My hunch is that Barnes is a fallback because we couldn't work out a deal for Delph. In either case I really am concerned about the size and strength of the midfield if we're selling Andreasen unless we bring in Huddlestone or someone else with a good physical presence.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

reports are that Tommy Hud isn't going anywhere.

drab.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Does anybody really think that Roy is doing Derby a favor by giving him time to work back to match fitness? If we're going for a loan for him, he's in our plans.

He has sublime skills and great pace. He's the best name we've been associated with since we signed ... Jimmy Bullard.

11. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Barnes... really, don't see it. He has potential, but it hasn't come full circle yet. I would take Delph or Huddlestone over Barnes in a heartbeat. Just my opnion.

I'm sure that Roy is going to figure him into the plans for the remainder of the season, but it is always tricky when a club accepts a loan for a player on the mend. I hope he sets the Prem alight... seems more wishful thinking than reality though.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

There's a new video interview with Roy up on the club website, talking about transfers. Paraphrasing:

Roy says he doesn't know where the Huddlestone rumor comes from; says he talked to Harry Redknapp and asked if anyone might be available on loan because Spurs have a lot of players, but Redknapp said nobody was available; Roy says Huddlestone wasn't mentioned by name in any case.

Rumors about Giles Barnes are more concrete, he's spoken with Derby and with Barnes to see if he'd be interested in joining Fulham. A deal with him would be a loan with a view to buy. He's more optimistic about this happening and likes Barnes's skills as an offensive midfield player. Discussions are ongoing.

Andreasen is going to Hannover, Roy says he's sad to let him go but that he thinks he has to do so because he can't guarantee Andreasen a place in the first team. Is hopeful that he'll be able to get a player in to replace him, even if it's a player who's a short-term rather than long-term solution. Didn't feel right to keep him from leaving under the circumstances.

Hopes to bring in a forward and a midfielder. Everyone involved is working day and night to make things happen but clubs all around are having a hard time finding players they want available; says even Harry Redknapp wants to add to his squad but isn't finding the players he wants.

Says it doesn't really bother him that much that the transfer window is moving slowly, the only thing that bothers him is bad results in matches and everything else is fairly insignificant. The atmosphere at the club is good but Roy knows we need more points to stay away from the relegation battle.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

That fucking habitually lying shit. I hope your knees go! so there :3d tongue:

k all better :|

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Barnes Is Talented and Cheap

Giles Barnes would be a good pick up now cause he's very talented and cheap. Still only 20 years old as well. Lots of teams tried to sign him up last season. Getting him may figure in to the long run and not the short run. We should keep that in mind.

Huddlestone would be interesting, but he's just okay. He's an English version of Andreasen.

15. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: Barnes Is Talented and Cheap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 860863.stm

Anybody he see this? If it has already been posted, apologies. He really side stepped the question regarding Fulham's nurturing him back to health. This is pretty convincing it WAS all about the contract, despite what he says.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Barnes Is Talented and Cheap

Jimmy Bullard...what a d!ck.

"I wasn't willing to play, with 16 months left, with one year left on my contract and I did tell them that. I made that clear. Even though I am under contract."

I'm sorry, ONLY a year and a half to go on your contract?! Are you joking? Good riddance GREED.

17. Bradical

Bradical Member

Kamara is set to return 2/17/09, according to PhysioRoom.com

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_ ... _table.php

18. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Re: RE: Barnes Is Talented and Cheap

Mike, that was the clincher for me on who was driving this seperation.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Re: RE: Barnes Is Talented and Cheap

My favorite -- "I just wanted to play for a club that wanted me. Fulham must not have wanted me, after they wet nursed me through a 16 month injury, when so many clubs would have pushed for a quicker schedule. How awful of Fulham to not want to renegotiate my contract when I had a year and a half left."

OK, I made the last part up.

I promised I wouldn't get bent about this again, but Jimmy, for F*** sake, cut the crap and say I reached for the brass ring, this will be my last contract and I wanted all of the scratch I could stuff in my pockets. Now my pockets are so bloated my pants don't fit and I'll look ridiculous all the way to the bank.

Shut up already.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:banana: :banana: :banana:

That is fantastic if he's back by February and match fit by March for the run-in. I will now cease accepting EJ's kickbacks in exchange for touting him on this messageboard.