January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

He doesnt look happy and apparently moving to Hull has made his legs very very short.

One thing I can say about Hull is it is a nice ferry ride over to Brugge - a lovely city built on canals so you get a little bit of Venice without the Italians (sorry HanSolo but you're about the only Italian that I like).

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Apparently that Ben Wright deal didn't actually happen; he failed the medical (is it my imagination or does that happen a lot?) and has signed with Peterborough United.

Time's a-wasting, Roy. I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed if all that happens for the rest of the transfer window is selling Andreasen to Hannover, as has been the rumor.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like the rumor of Tom Huddlestone coming over from Spurs. I watched him a lot during the U-21 tourney a couple years back when I was tuning in to watch Liam. He's a big fella with a good motor and a lot of heart.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Big fan of Huddlestone making his way to SW6. He's got a fair amount of ability, grit and size. I don't think he will cost an arm and a leg.

If Fulham walk away from this transfer window with Delph and Huddlestone I will be happy. Except for that deal with Bully...

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I like Huddy too. He's got the same size as Etuhu, but actually has skill.

And as I said on the pod, we still need a striker.

And maybe a winger? Bastos from Lille?

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

..tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

I don't know that much about Huddlestone (other than his shots can blister keepers' hands and he has a penchant for pastries), but what I've seen is that he works his arse off. Also, did he previously play with Murphy at Spurs? The familiarity would be good thing at this point.

7. nevzter

And I cannot believe I'm saying this, but maybe EJ should be recalled to work with the squad / reserves - and see what happens down the stretch.

I think even he could've managed at LEAST ONE GOAL if given Zamora's minutes. And before the Zamora 'work rate' or 'creating chances for others' praise flies at this post, EJ's speed could open just as many or more chances too. The work rate thing, I'm not so sure of though.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Huddlestone would be a great pickup IMO.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Justifying a toothless attack isn't easy, but it was a shot nevzter. AJ, Zamora and Nevland have been less than stellar this season to say the least. With a defense as stingy as Fulham's the strikers should carry their weight as well. Granted, it would be much easier to do so with an out and out winger to push the ball to the byline.

I keep hearing AJ's speed will create opportunity, but has it really? He works his socks off and hounds defenders with great conviction, but maybe it comes down to lack of service. Who knows, something needs to change soon.

10. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I reassert my opinion that we buy a winger and put Clint into Jimmy's role. He's our most creative player at this point...

Or let's just buy Clarence Seedorf. Watched the Milan replay last night and that dude is just the consummate pro CM. (Yes, tongue in cheek. I know we can't afford him and he wouldn't leave them anyway.)

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I don't think we land Delph. Everything I have read so far says Leeds wants 6-8 million while our first offer was 2.5 million. Also, it sounds like a couple of the big boys might be interested in him as well.

But what do I know, watch him get signed up before next week.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We could probably pick up Beasley for 1-2 million.

He's not in form, but has pace and is a true winger...

13. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

So it is Huddlestone or Ledley or Delph right now......just not sure about the striker we are supposedly after....someone on TiFF suggested Harewood.

14. LaxAttack

15. RDG

RDG Member

From the BBC website (Sports Quotes of the Week) --

"Hull are the biggest club I've played for."
    Jimmy Bullard after his £5m switch from Fulham. Miaow.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

17. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

I love the Huddlestone rumor. I don't watch as much soccer as most people on here probably do, but every time I watch a Spurs game and he gets a run, he seems to do well. I've always thought he should be starting for somebody and that it is a shame his talent often goes to waste on their bench. Let's take care of that!

18. LaxAttack

Bottom of that article says Andreasen is gone to Hannover (2.5 million) as soon as we find a Bullard replacement.

19. nevzter

Beasley...interesting, and he's left footed, but he seems to be made of glass at the club level lately.

What happened to the Luis Garcia rumors? Did the Pukka Pies scare him away?

I agree with ToM's 'lack of service' to strikers comment as a reason for their lacking goals.

However, the strikers need to help themselves too. Roy should quit giving Z his automatic place and deliver the tough love akin to his treatment of Dempsey. Otherwise, another striker needs to be purchased (or EJ recalled, and d'oh, I can't believe I'm supporting EJ again) since he won't play Nevland more than 10 minutes at a time. :banana:

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ditto, I like the way the big fella uses his size.