ITVN: Ongoing Reviews

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamFanSC, Sep 3, 2006.

1. FulhamFanSC

FulhamFanSC New Member

I just ordered Setanta through ITVN....

Hi all,

I just ordered the Setanta channel through ITVN from their website. The box will be here the middle of next week. They are showing the Newcastle United vs Fulham game at 3:30 pm on Saturday the 9th. I will give everyone an update on the quality etc... when I get it up and running.

COYW!!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RE: I just ordered Setanta through ITVN....

Thanks in advance for any updates on this service, I was looking into purchasing this service but I am a bit hesitant to do so.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: I just ordered Setanta through ITVN....

The above was me. :oops:

4. Soccer89

Soccer89 New Member

I have ordered and received this box, in order to watch Setanta Sports for the soccer. (They have now added Starz on demand!) I am using a DSL connection and I am based on the east coast. (FYI, ITVN farms located in San Jose)

At first, I was experiencing buffering at their highest quality stream 1000 kbps so I had to watch at 700kbps (lesser quality). Was thinking of returning before the 30 day trial ran out.

At present, I am no longer experiencing buffering, since the last s/w upgrade by ITVN. I rate the picture quality on 1000kbps stream as fair to good. Not for those with big LCD screens expecting hdtv quality! I'm more than pleased with my 27" sony tube TV and I am keeping the box for the length of the contract.

if you want free shipping, please use my promotional code and pass it on:
    #######

Happy viewing
    - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Moderator Note:
    I just had the pleasure of deleting two subsequent posts by this spammer $%@%##@. I sent him a PM advising him of this and asking him for a reason why I shouldnt have.
    Since he had a grand total of three posts, all of which included his 'promo code, I dont expect him to even see that I sent him a PM, let alone reply to it.
    - Pettyfog

PS: I also previously complained to Matchnight's Crew Forum mod about a similar poster and his entire posting history was removed.. which I should have done here.

5. FulhamFanSC

FulhamFanSC New Member

Yeah Soccer89 I have to agree with you. The picture quality is pretty good considering. I would compare it to watching a game from a VCR tape. The only problem I have encountered so far is every once in a while I get a "pop" sound that comes through, but it doesn't happen enough to get on my nerves. I have a cable modem and did not experience any buffering on the 1000k stream. I have read where people get some buffering that occurs, but as Soccer89 stated they improved that through an update. It was nice being able to see the Fulham game even though it was broadcast after it was played. Overall I would say that I am pleased with ITVN/Setanta and I will keep it.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Hmmmmmmmmm. This is interesting. Do you have to live near a seller? When I looked it up, the nearest supplier was over 100 miles away.

Also, not totally unrelated, but I see you can stream Champions League matches online now, for $9.99 I think.

7. FulhamFanSC

FulhamFanSC New Member

FFCinPCB, I didn't order from a supplier, I ordered from www.itvn.com If you use the promo code that Soccer89 posted you can get free shipping.
    I think I paid $30 out of pocket up front. $15 for the first month and $15 for the last month of service. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Last night I watched Arsenal V Hamburg Champions League. Worth every penny. You can see what's on at www.setanta.com

8. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

anyone get this yet? Comments on quality? How many channels do you get?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

You get as many channels as you want to pay for. I do not have this as I have DirecTV, but you can get as many channels as you want, but you have to pay for each one. In other words, ITVN is ala carte.

10. martin

martin New Member

I received by ITVN box yesterday, about 1 week after placing the order. It was pretty simple to set up: just a power cord and an ethernet cable from my router to the ITVN box. One minor glitch, they had me signed up for the Starz movie package instead of Setanta. That was fixed with a quick call to tech support.

The picture was pretty good. I have a non-HDTV tube TV that is 3 or 4 years old and the ITVN picture was comparable to cable tv. There is occasionally a little pixelation and ghosting of fast-moving images, but it is not bad. There are two Setanta feeds to choose from (play 1 and play 2). As I understand it, they are just two separate servers showing the same programming. Play 2 seems to provide a better feed. On play 1, I couldn't watch at the highest bitrate without having a lot of buffering. But play 2 was fine. You can adjust the bitrate up or down using the remote if you have buffering problems. On anything less than the highest bitrate, the picture quality was pretty poor. FYI, I have standard DSL from Bellsouth and my line usually tests at 1.1 - 1.3 Mbps.

The programming yesterday was all repeats. There was last week's notloB-Liverpool match and rugby from South Africa or somewhere. The true test will be a live match. I hope to watch some of the Euro 2008 qualifiers live over the weekend.

My initial experience with ITVN is very positive. It was easy to set up and the picture quality is pretty good. My one call to tech support got me through to a live, helpful person quickly. I will report back on my experience with live programming later.

Cheers,
    Martin

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

And isn't that the way it should be!

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

But wont be until cable can go all-digital.

Not that that is really a good reason, it's just an excuse.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It will come eventually...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tele ... ted_States

see the a la carte section.

I like the idea of a la carte and I don't. What would happen is certain channels would become very popular and complete money-makers for broadcasting companies. Then they might not take a shot on something new and different becuase they'll worry the channel will not have much appeal. Everything would become mass appeal oriented. Would soccer channels or any niche channels we have now thrive in this country under a la carte pricing? I'm not entirely sure. Altough it would be cool to pick and choose what channels I wanted, but I wonder if it really lower my cable bill--getting charged ITVN's prices for their channels per month is pretty steep.

14. pettyfog

FSC obviously makes SOME up with the Infomercials. And all shopping sites wouldbe free...

Same with the cable version of Superstations... cant imagine WHY Cable companies or their customers should pay ANYTHING for them, given the commercials are incessant.

I defy you to find a cable channel that's inundated with PSA's! And that is the indicator of poor sslot sales.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

But most of the channels you mention are just bundled in with the cable companies' existing pricing. Like you, my guess is those channels would become doomed under a la carte...and I wouldn't miss them too much (I can only watch the same episode of Law & Order so many times). But I'm just wondering how many people in the States would purchase soccer channels. My guess is not that many. Supply and Demand would raise the prices of those niche channels to make them profitable for the cable broadcast companies, (or load them up with infomercials but who would pay 14.95 per soccer channel, per month for that?) and it will make DCHeather go hungry.

Food or soccer? Hmm...I choose soccer. :3d smile:

16. pettyfog

I'd like continual updates by those of you who've bought into ITVN.

Please specify whether you use Cable or DSL broadband and what download bitrate you have.
    - Some cable operators are offering 768 kbps 'Economy' packages.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I have cable broadband, and the highest bandwith I've been able to get is 1135 kbps. And that's a pretty decent picture quality, the game movements will have a little pixelation here and there (but nothing to really annoy you), but interviews and such seem just like regular tv.

18. LeoUSA

LeoUSA New Member

Okay, Need some info. If I get the box and hook it up to my router will I be able to watch it on my PC? If so Can I hook it up to my wireless router and watch from my laptop?

19. pettyfog

Ummm as I understand it, it hooks to your tv, via Ethernet cable from your router.

Strange they dont have a streaming to PC for EPL... but you cant have everything I suppose.. and
    Setanta Broadband doesnt do EPL for some reason

Read these