Idea: Pettyfog Rule

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by FFCinPCB, Dec 21, 2006.

?

Institute the Pettyfog Rule

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What's a Pettyfog?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

This would be a rule that you have to post something Fulham related at least once every five posts on this website.

For the sake of not turning this into anyone's personal blog space. (Truth is, I'm not really sure what a blog is. But all the kids are saying it, so it must be cool.)

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

1 in 5?

I could post pure crap... fulham related crap, that is. Since my intent was to sign up for the streaming coverage, then budget problems came up, I dont feel that qualified to post on actual game results.

Whatever.... and no cheating... I'll abide by the vote, this is our board. Not my board.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Mostly having fun, Petty.

(But small twinge of seriousness to it.)

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hmm; for future voters, don't go halfway through your response and then vote -- it tends to wipe it out.

My view: The Pettyfog rule, like term limits, is designed to limit our freedom as readers and voters. I say "LET THE MUPPET RANT."

And another thing, let's not start silencing the voices of those people over 60 on the site! [okay, there's some self-interest involved there]

5. pettyfog

Re: RE: Idea: Pettyfog Rule

As if!

a couple stories that more or less apply:

- Don's first post on 'anything goes' {before the thing was split out to world news} was, in my mind, the equivalent of letting a nasty fart and running away.. I had a few choice words for that, and now he doesnt hesitate to let me know what he thinks.. {and confirm that he aint all that bright without a geetar in his hand}.. whatever, it's dialogue and requires one to at least pretend to think.

- Yesterday my wife called me into the room where she was watching helicopter tv news coverage of the 'breaking news' variety.. I saw a couple figures in 'space suits walking around between some big white tanks, one of which had a plume of vapor coming out. Wife said:
    "That's in South Charleston" a town about 15 miles east on I-70

"Ewww..", I said, "Anhydrous Ammonia! That's nasty stuff" I hadnt HEARD it was was that, I KNEW it was that.
    Of course she glared at me. No doubt thinking 'Know it all asshole!' But I just deduced what else would be in that many tanks in a farming town.

Last of all... mind my net name and {long-term} avatar. All of which have roots in a sign hung in, no doubt, thousands of cubes in the early 90's:
    Eschew Obfuscation!

But... as I said above.
    - - - -
    ONE VOTE? Come on!

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: RE: Idea: Pettyfog Rule

I'm voting "no" (against the Pettyfog rule") because (in no particular order):
    * People can post whatever they want. I don't have to read it if I don't want to.
    * He does a good job of posting non-Fulham related stuff in the appropriate groups.
    * I don't have time to keep track of his FRPR (Fulham-Related Posting Rate), and I doubt anybody else does either.
    * He's the moderator of the boards and puts in time so that we can have this board, so who am I to say what he can post or not post.
    * Mike and Tom started this site and board, so if anybody has a right to complain, they do, and they haven't as far as I know.
    * Sometimes what he writes about politics makes me laugh (even though I don't think he means it that way).

I could have voted "What's a Pettyfog?" but he told me the origins of the name at the All-Star Game in Columbus (although I can't say I remember!!!)

7. pettyfog

who am I to say what he can post or not post.

You're a denizen of the board, that's who. My role of admin / mod has nothing to do with any freedoms to post whatever I want. If bloviation on the board affects readership and growth then I should be told. As should anyone else.

I've never had to censor or remove anything for content or language {we're all adults, just keep it within bounds of good taste} Doesnt mean we cant rag on each other.

Now go back to World News and justify Vilsack to me.

8. Tony_USA

Tony_USA New Member

well, I HAD to vote, didn't I? and as I couldn't make me mind up I sat on the fence. Bloody cold on the fence, I wish I was inside, or at least the fence was inside, then I could stay sitting on the fence all winter without getting cold.

Oh, yes, we have to mention Fulham in these posts now, don't we? Um, OK then, I wish the fence was in the Craven Cottage itself, then I would keep warm in winter, and get to see all the home matches, wow, that was a good reference weren't it.

... I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, drinking fresh mango juice ... etc etc

9. pettyfog

Closest I can suggest, then is to hook up with Mot.. err.. Beachside!