Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JohnnyCash, Aug 29, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Hurricane Katrina

Yeah.. well, I'm sure we're gonna argue plenty when we reprise this tragedy. I turned into Air America briefly yesterday and wanted to vomit!

Meantime let's fix the mistakes and get those people out of there.... and kill the 'urban guerillas' if they so much as point a gun.

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

My office is right next door to the Coast Guard's Search and Rescue Operational Center. I was talking to a guy who was telling me that some of the search and rescue guys haven't even been back to their houses at this point. They were at the Air stations when the hurricane hit, and as soon as the winds died down they were out flying SAR missions. A lot of these guys are probably going to be homeless as well when this stuff is settled.

As far as looters, my roomate made a good point. They're stealing TVs that just a few days ago were under 20' of water...none of them work. I get a little bit of satisfaction out of that.

3. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

As far as the federal response...its been pathetic. Ted Koppel tore Michael Brown a new one last night during Nightline. While not working directly on disaster relief stuff for DHS, I know how much time and effort has been spent by the Department to prepare for an instance like this since 9/11. They've been working to increase cooperation between states, between the States and the Federal Government, and even between different Departments and Agencies within the Federal government.

This is the first large scale disaster that the Department has had to deal with. Its discouraging to see how far they have to go. right now we have a refugee crisis...in the United States. people are dying of hunger and thirst in the United States.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

5. pettyfog

Now... just what is it about that that you REALLY dispute?

I'll answer for you... it's the assumption that those people most affected had the ways and means to get out, before the 'cane.
    There was no plan for them, and I ask if that is really the responsibility of FEMA to be proactive on that issue. Perhaps if LA or NO had a plan...

No where FEMA has fallen down is not that they have no plan for BEFORE the disaster..I think you will see that their charter is on RESPONSE.. it's that they didnt have their act together once the flooding was apparent.

But like I said above.... why place blame, now? What good does it do, now?!!!!
    - - - -- - -
    Dan.. my point was that if the able-bodied could, or would, have walked out to the outlying areas that would have lessened the load on the response teams.. and SURELY saved thousands.

I am not blaming them for NOT walking out. They knew full well they risked losing whatever they had left. And many were looking after infirm friends or relatives. Which is why many didnt leave before the 'cane.

However! This certainly MUST be considered to be key element in response and evacuation in the future. Leaving possessions and the infirm behind will be hard, but everyone MUST be aware of the consequences.

How much easier it would have been to declare Martial Law and 'shoot-on-sight' if one were surer that the innocent wouldnt be caught in the middle.
    - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I suggest you {rhetorical} ponder a thought I just recalled:

There must be a special place in Hell for those who exploit a tragedy or suffering of others for personal gain.

I'll leave the definition of 'personal gain' for you to decide.

6. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I made one statement. the guy is a dick. There's finger pointing going on already between Federal, State and Local officials while people are still starving and living on their roof.

and what's my personal gain by calling this guy a dick.

should I repost your rant the DAY OF the london bombings...hypocrite

7. pettyfog

Seriously Jeff, sometimes I wonder how you think!

I mean the rant there was about the terms used by the press "panick, chaos, terror" and I proposed that none of those were in abundance. While praising the public.

OTOH, they DO apply to the New Orleans tragedy.

And btw, I was quoting you for point, not for recrimination. AND IN FACT DID AGREE WITH YOU without saying as much! It was a point that need not have been put forward. But I wonder what his motivation was in doing so... I think there was more than just CYA.
    -AND-
    WTF would you seem to take that personally!??"????????? I DO take being called a hypocrite personally.

8. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I took the special place reserved in hell as being directed at me, if not then I apologize and retract the hypocrite comment...you've edited since I posted that so now i need to reread.

And by the way FEMA does have preperation and prevention in their charter.

9. pettyfog

They do?

Well... prove it. I looked at the FEMA site and saw nothing about preliminary response. Only the standard preparedness advice. That's the same stuff you get from your insurance company. and read it.. certainly NOTHING covering this magnitude.

Anyway, let's get a little objective here:

1. This is the worst natural disaster since the 1906 SF quake... or The Glaveston disaster And probably will rival or exceed the New Madrid quake in the mid 1800's

2. Read this while sorting out blame

3. It is the responsibility of the local governments to get what preparedness aid they need from the federal funding:

- That is why there is a 'congress'. But, as pork goes, levee and waterway anti-flooding is way down the glamor list for the various senators and rep's. Museums and roads that can be named for past or present politico's work a lot better come campaign time

4. There IS NO DOUBT that this has blindsided DHS and FEMA... the scenario should have been covered in internal Security brainstorming, as it would have been a possibility on the 'terror-strike' response planning.

5. If Congress had elected to budget MORE on internal security, however, where on the list would this have fallen? Remember that the emphasis by administration opponents has been on inspection and hardening of high profile targets and infrastructure.
    The refineries and pipelines would have been up there in rank... but the levee's?!! I doubt it.

But as I say, this doesnt do anything to fix the current crisis... nor does calling some poor Dept head a 'dick' for being 'insensitive'.

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

The problem is that it is the responsibility of DHS to be ready for a situation like this, they were not blindsided, they had at least three days warning that a major storm was going to hit the Gulf States.

Also, i'm not talking about this situation specifically. Imagine if the damage and destruction from this hurrican was actually a terrorist attack with no warning or evacuation. This has been the first measure of how prepared our federal government is to respond to a major catastrophe, and, in my opinion, they have failed. A terrorist strike would have been much worse.

I think Michael Brown is an insensitive prick. that was a different post and has nothing to do with what I'd written previously.

11. pettyfog

Onward and upward...I will put up some quotes in a few weeks or so and ask again, who is the insenstive prick.

meanwhile:
    -USAToday, 7/18/05

more:

12. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

13. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

It was

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/02/ ... index.html

14. pettyfog

thats excellent... look at the mooment lik ehe's setting up for an interview.

Saw previously what looked like a convoy into the convention center.

{requires real player, btw}

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

16. pettyfog

Remember the 'first bus' to arrive at the astrodome? It was turned away because it couldnt possibly have been part of the convoy... and it was in fact 'stolen'.

But the kid who was responsible should get a medal and not only that.. a scholarship!

Story

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r109:S14FE5-0007:

The writing was on the wall that FEMA is too befuddled by bureaucratic nonsense and lost it's focus once place under DHS--I had serious misgivings about creating a super department, composed of cabinet level deparments, this disaster proves some things are better smaller and more precise. Here are some key qoutes from the link (this Sen. Nelson of Florida speaking about FEMA just before the Senate confirmed Chertoff to lead DHS):

I'm trying to find Michael Brown's confirmation hearing...not only could he be fired for incompetence, but if he lied under oath...he could face prison.

19. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Welp..."Brownie" is getting sent home and VADM Allen will be taking over for him in the Gulf.

20. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member