HS Boys Team

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jensers, May 5, 2008.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Last year we went to State for the first time and this year we just won our first round game in districts.

It is a tough road back to State given that they are only taking 2 teams from our district, but we are making our run.

We finished the regular season 11-5. The boys have been playing well and I am proud of them.

[​IMG]

There used to be a forum that was for this sort of thing, but it is no longer listed so I went ahead and put it here. Boy am I glad we have forums to solve the problems of the world (that seem to be effective at both giving one person a stage, while also throwing a wedge in the membership) but we got rid of the forum to celebrate the game that we love on a level that we can all relate to and chuckle about. (This is me voicing my opinion)

2. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Interesting that you play HS soccer in the spring. Here in Missouri, it is a fall sport. The Final Four is played the weekend before thanksgiving, with the two semi-final matches played back-to-back on Friday night and state title game on Saturday afternoon. It is big time for the boys...crowds of over 5,000 are typical, and for really heated rivalries, the crowds can approach 10,000. Lots of fun.

Good luck to your boys. Keep us posted. What is your role on the team? Coach? Proud Father? Booster?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Good luck on your bid to return to State, Jensers!

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I am the White guy in the picture. :) I am the coach.

We are in the Spring because they dont want soccer in competition with American Football.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Good luck Jensers!

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Thanks guys. EPL coming to a close, Champions League, MLS kicking off, and also the high school post season is kicking off.

Great time of year!

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

It is a wonderful time of year! I wish the best of luck to the Knights! QHS (my school) is currently undefeated in league play and are in the semis in our district tournament. Last year they missed out on state...... most likely because they got too cocky. Hopefully they don't fall into that trap again especially since they are ranked #1 in the state! (GO JACKS) Its stuff like that, that makes me wish I still played..... (well not the cocky bit, but being a part of something as special as going to state)

8. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Re: RE: HS Boys Team

They take high school soccer pretty seriously here in STL...at least among the all-boys Catholic schools. 'Round here, a boy that doesn't make the soccer team trudges forlornly over to the (American) football field and joins that team as a poor second choice.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: HS Boys Team

Jensers-

That is a serious looking bunch. They do not look easily intimidated. Glad to hear you are continuing to make a difference over there in the top left corner!!

Keep us updated, please.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: RE: HS Boys Team

Ahhhh - we played the league champs tonight in the second round. They scored early on a rare mistake from my captain... 1-0 at half.

We were playing a 4-5-1, I decided to go to the 4-4-2 for the second half and the decision was not the right one. Opened up the field and they got a second.

We have to play again Thursday in a loser out match so at about 68 minutes I put in all the young players.

I really hate the 4-5-1. I want to attack and I have a tendency to take take a risk to try and push forward. It was too early, and too risky given the team we were playing. Live and learn I guess, but I am kicking myself.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The toughest thing about coaching is the losses tend to linger. Your players on the other hand Jens turned the page as soon as they got home. Here's to a big win on thurs. and the kids moving closer to state.

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Unfortunate. I'll be rooting for you guys on Thursday!

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Great Match! Had everything - goals, drama, desperation, controversy... Two teams that fought hard for the win.

We scored first on a solo effort early in the first half. Highland had the wind and pushed forward and found the equalizer. Second half, both teams battled for a go ahead goal, and Highland got it when they were awarded a free kick at the top of the 18. Shot went under the wall and wrong footed the GK as it took a deflection on the way in. We then tried desperately to get back in it... Had a goal disallowed along with a few other great chances while throwing numbers forward, but Highland was equal to the pressure.

Sad day to see the season come to a close, but if you are going to go out - it is good to go fighting. Very proud of the boys!

Thanks for following along.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well done, coach. Hope your lads are taking the loss well. Sucks that you got beat by Highland High School. I graduated from HHS in Albuquerque 125 years ago.

Oh, and thanks for keeping us informed about your team. I, for one, enjoy reading about members' playing, coaching, officiating, and league organizing the beautiful game.

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats Jens (and your team) on the great season. Was the disallowed goal a good call?

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

No - it was a matter of the old active/inactive rule. The player that headed the ball came from behind the defenders. There was a player slightly offside when the indirect kick was taken, but he froze, and was probably 12 yards away from where the ball was met. Runner came in and pounded a header far post. In my book that is a goal.

Also, late in the match the keeper had to come out of his area to stop my striker, and when my striker got past him he pulled him down - no call.

But this is the game we love, and these things are all part of it.

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

My congrats as well, Jens. Are you graduating many starters? Good team coming back next year?

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

3 starters are out. Should have some shoes to fill, but we will manage. Part of the fun of High School Soccer - you get what you get and you try to make a team.

Makes coaching an adventure!