Houston v Revs {R}

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Nov 18, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

arrggghh!

Watched the 2nd half... was a good game till about 80 when Revs had to go full out.

Really gutted for the Revs, they deserve to win one.

And it makes it rough for next year, cause you KNOW that Revs are coming back with a vengeance. They wont fold until they either win.. or lose it again next year.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

When was this game on??? I know what they say about the word assume, but a 9 AM final ? Read the recap, have always wondered why DeRosario isn't plying his trade overseas.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

DeRosario wanted to go to England at the end of last season, but MLS wouldn't release his contract -- too valuable to the league, don't ya know. He really does need to play in the EPL. Very Carlos Edwards kind of player.

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

As (far as I know) the only regular Fulham USA poster who was at the MLS Cup today, here are some observations:

I was very impressed with the number of fans of the various MLS teams where were there that I met at the Screaming Eagles (DC United) fan club tailgate (www.screaming-eagles.com). I knew there would be a lot of New England and Houston fans there, but there were A LOT of New England and Houston fans there.

I was especially impressed by the Houston contingent given that they came about halfway across the country with a week's notice, and they won last year, and as a fan of a team that won back-to-back titles (Detroit Red Wings), it's hard to have the same thrill for win #2. The Houston group was especially vocal and I have not seen so many flags since I last visited the Washington Monument.

We also saw fans from just about every team in the league. (I think I missed only KC and Chivas but I was told of a KC sighting at least.) Everybody was very friendly and we met several very nice people. The 40 or so members of the Philly fan club, the Sons of Ben, came up to the tailgate singing loudly wearing their light blue and yellow colors (they had shirts and scarves). The light blue and yellow came from, I'm told, the Philadelphia city flag. When Philly gets a team, we'll have a big local rivalry almost instantly.

Among the people we met was a Fulham fan who told me she has been a lurker on this site, a woman named Amy from St. Clair Shores, MI. (A Fulham and Tiger fan--there is not a better combo!). I never got here last name but her and her friend (boyfriend/husband?) Robert were very nice. I was jealous because she's been to a Fulham match at the Cottage and I haven't. If you read this Amy and Robert, have a nice time at the Wigan match.

Oh, the game? I was impressed by Michael Parkhurst, the central defender that we are rumored to be going after (maybe even wrapped up?). He looked good from what I saw. According to the game program Parkhurst, named the MLS defender of the year, only had five fouls (not yellows, but fouls) all season. (To compare, one of his competitors for the award had 70 fouls and 11 yellows).

We were rooting for NE, since my wife is a Boston sports fan, so we were disappointed by the result but very impressed with the MLS and the show they put on. It may not be at the level of other major American sports, but they are well run, and they have carved out their own substantial niche in American sports.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I was there too! I stumbled upon some free tickets and had a good time. It was great to see so many fans of different clubs. I was wearing an FCK jacket and a dane struck up a conversation with me!

Although I was really disappointed the Revs didnt win it. They looked really lackluster in the second half: honestly, if the aerial route didnt work the first eight times...probably wont work the ninth, tenth, and eleventh. Just saying.

And Twellman's lack of hustle and inability to score a sitter in the first half proved why he'll be stuck stateside for awhile.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Dave near DC, thanks for the post about the MLS Cup. Nice to hear all the positives about the fans and atmosphere. I was pulling for Houston so I'm happy with the result. DeRosario is one of the best if not the best in the MLS. If he had a chance to venture to England, I'm very sorry to hear that it was thwarted. One of my favorite soccer moments is when DeRo made that goal line save for the MLS All-stars vs Chelsea.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I was at the game too. I thought there was some sloppy play in the first half, but overall, it was better than a typical MLS game. I for one, was disappointed by the fans - not that the Revs and Dynamo fans weren't in evidence, but the DC United Fans (who outnumbered the others, combined), were chanting "DC United" and "Boring" throughout the game - wouldn't see that in an FA Cup Final.

I will also add that the Revs were robbed. I was sitting in section 318, right behind the left goal (from a TV perspective), and the Revs deserved a clear penalty as the defender grabbed a sizable chunk of the attackers shirt and dragged him to the ground, in the box, to avoid him going around him. This was right before the "head butt" incident (and involved the same players). Admitedly, the Ref didn't have a great view, but it was one of the most blatant penalties I've seen.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Parkhurst is good. I didn't watch MLS Cup but did watch the USA-South Africa match, and was struck by how little center back depth we have with DeMerit hurt (if I recall correctly), but that's probably in part because Parkhurst was unavailable.

9. psand22

psand22 Member

I watched the game on Funday and I was really disappointed in the announcers of the game. Pretty obvious who they wanted to win the game. The red card should of been shown for that head butt or attempt by Smith. The announcers said that they didn't wanna see a game of this magnitude be played with a man down and I guess the Ref didn't either. My lord, it happened right in front of him.

After the game, it was more of the same. When the telecast was shifted to the studio, they didn't congratulate the Dynamo. They led with more talk of the Revs losing another final and how they found a way to lose. It just made me sick. How about some love for the two time defending champs.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The head butt would never have happened if the ref has called the (deserved) penalty...

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

AMEN. Poor announcing, except for Waldo, who has opinions, has played the game, and probably too thin a filter between his mind and mouth for his own good. ESPN broadcasts games like they are talking to a group of 12 year olds. O'Brien has gotten a little better since the WC, but I don't need reminded 8 times how only DCU has repeated, or how the Revs had lost 3 MLS cups, or the endless Buffalo Bills comparisons. Since I am sure he is getting his announcing directives from the ESPN suits, they all should realize that it is better to say less and be thought a fool than rattle on like they do and remove all doubt. As far as what he adds to the game, I cann;t figure out why Allen Hopkins was on the air. I know he is a big fan of the MLS game, but so are a lot of people and that doesn't mean they should have a mike in their hand.