Hillary to challenge Obama's Character

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 3, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No.. seriously, I aint making that up.

Washington Post

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Hillary to challenge Obama

Petty, what do you make of the democratic race? How do you see Hillary's latest jabs at Barrack working out? It would be nice to hear what someone outside the democratic party thinks about this race.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Obama may be pulling away. Love it. He's so much more likable, and with much less baggage.

Bad news for Republicans.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

One thing I've noticed. Obama is to this day a smoker and has disclosed his past drug use. Ok so, this is a nothing issue to reasonable people but has been a large issue in past presidential elections. This time around its not been talked about. So are we as a country past trivial matters such as high school drug use or is this going to work its way out a hurt Obama yet? I wouldn't put it past a Hillary who’s losing her grip or a Republican in a general election.

I like Obama a lot, certainly more than Clinton but if I'm being honest I don't think he can win a general election. Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't see him for example winning Minnesota, a state that went for Kerry, Gore, Clinton twice, Dukakis, Mondale, Carter twice, anyway you get the point. The way I've seen some talk about him, react to him, here in a normal everyday context I fear it’s just not on. There’s this whole "being presidential" concept out there, apparently it doesn’t involve windsurfing and probably doesn’t involve being b-l-a-c-k. My gut tells me a black man will not be able to get 51% of the vote in Minnesota let alone the rest of the country. I could be wrong, lets hope I am. In the mean time I hope to see Obama continue to surge past Hillary.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

If Louisiana can vote an Indian guy to be their governor, Minnesota can vote for a black man.

6. pettyfog

Tom;
    there's no way to REALLY quantify who is making the best points long run.

The Clinton machine has long been considered by most to be the de facto nominee and the rest only in it to give the appearance of a 'race'.

But Hillary has her obvious baggage and is really UNLIKED by a whole lot of people in the party.. no coincidence she has the highest 'dis-approval' ratings of any recent candidate.

Worse, while she is the MOST qualified, on her record, none of the 3 leading Dem candidates actually ARE qualified, even to the extent that Fred Thompson is qualified. It takes a long time in the Senate to equate to actually RUNNING a government. eg; Kucinich is as qualified or more so than Hillary.

This is why I had the nerve to suggest that we dont discount an Al Gore 'draft'.

7. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

If were talking about most qualified its Joe Biden, he's been in he senate longer than ive been alive, but hes not going to win. Out of the 3 canidates who have a chance Hillary is the most qualified, but that "qualification" has brought more baggage than Ohare International, and her latest attacks on Obama are making her look desperate. Maybe she can stop slipping before the caucases in January, but if shes stays on this trend Obama will have alot of momentum going into NH and beyond.
    P.S. Why is she attacking Obama on wanting to be President in kindergarten? Really?

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

well lets hope your right

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

When the candidate discloses the drug use himself, admiting he was young and troubled, I dont think it will be an issue. W is a former alcoholic and it didnt stop enough people from voting for him. I dont know about the smoking though. I does raise issues like poor example for young people, health care costs, etc. Does anyone know if smoking is permitted in the white house? Would he have to go outside to smoke and expose secret service agents to second hand smoke.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I know at one point Obama had mentioned that he quit smoking cigarettes. That was at least six months back. I am not sure if he has been able to keep that up. Does anyone know?

As for me, it does not matter whether he smokes or not. As someone who is health conscious, I would prefer he not, but I do not think smoking squares has any impact on him making decisions for our country over the next 4 or 8 years.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

President Josiah Bartlet used to go outside the oval office and bum cigarettes from his SS contingent.

I doubt if Hillary will bring up drug use; her hubster's mj use is too easy of a retort, and the president pretty much laid out a line of defense for all future candidates with his "when I was young and foolish, I was young and foolish."

I also wouldn't expect Hillary to bring up cigarettes. The tobacco lobby is just itching to write more checks, and Hillary needs to win North Carolina to get elected.

The most telling comment she made was that he started running for president the day he was sworn into the senate. Obama is a bright guy, very charismatic and charming, and young. But he doesn't have any experience or knowledge in the key areas, and we're suffering through eight years of voting somebody into the office who is clearly not prepared or equipped to do the job.

Hillary isn't "my guy," but Obama is at least 8 years away. We shouldn't put somebody in the White House on the basis of one speech at a Democratic convention. Let him defend his seat in a hotly contested election, serve two full terms, and then let's see where he's at.

12. pettyfog

A major problem in the electorate is that somehow we expect only saints to run for office.
    While it's fair to say that one of the prime inhibitors has historically been the Evangelical 'Right Wing Conservative' faction, the other side of the political spectrum certainly has not hesitated to point out every mote in a candidates eye.

This is why we should be asking the obvious question:

Is a kindergartener saying he 'wants to be president someday' more ridiculous or noteworthy than a college student saying that? Since we recently had a situation reflecting just that, which caused some to look at the sequence of his life events, I'd say no.

Look at it this way... the 5 year old is expressing an optimism that should be admired. The child has no clear idea how that would happen. Evidently the college undergrad does.

13. Fern72

Fern72 Member

As a "Evangelical Right Wing Conservative Faction member" i don't want perfection, but i do want some honesty. I by no means am a saint, but when asked of my pass i will reply honestly.

People in my party(Republican) have giving us a bad name, and i understand why we look like hypocrites, but don't lump us togther. Each candidate is a different person with his/her own deamons.

Hillary speaks of her experiance in the white house? I thought she was the first lady, i don't recall her being voted for that position.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Yeah, I even heard her refer to the "first Clinton administration" in a radio debate. From the context, she wasnt talking about the first four years she was talking about all eight. She implied a second administration to come and obviously sees them as one and the same (or is it one in the same?).

15. pettyfog

Hillary's Wheels Falling Off

Oprah's endorsement of Obama and the obvious meaning of selling out a freakin coliseum for a campaign appearance where she's on stage with Barack has the pundits talking in terms that cannot be overstated.

One fell swoop and the "I'm voting for Hillary cause she's a woman" voting bloc is GONE!

From now on, ANYTHING that Hillary's campaign comes up with to point out Obama's faults is going to be recognized as mean and petty. Really no difference.. except it will be recognized as such. If I were Obama I would go RIGHT BACK to her staff's reference to his Kindergarten statement.

I dont think Obama's campaign staff is all that brilliant but I can guarantee you that Oprah's support staff IS. Oprah has done some things in the past, like the 'beef' statement, that served as learning experiences and they became part and parcel of how she does business now.
    So the BIG question is how much she gets behind Obama's campaign.

The ONLY question to be resolved is how the Democratic Party Machine is going to handle this. I think I'm safe in saying they considered Hillary a shoo-in, and Obama simply a show pony illustrating party-diversity that really has never existed. Now there's going to be panic in the old guard and a lot of gnashing of teeth, about this uppity guy who never got the message about 'his place'.

I suggest everyone start reading the Media Matters blog {Hillary's hit-site} and Huffington Post {Kos' Markos Zuniga doesnt like Hillary at all, which PROBABLY means Soros doesnt either.}

You remember what I said about Al Gore, right? You better because, as of right now, Obama has at least nailed down the VP slot.
    . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .
    [​IMG]
    Chris Muir; Day by Day

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

A sign that Clinton is starting to go down the drug path?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071213/ap_ ... ma_s_drugs

17. pettyfog

Ridiculous!

Well, Obama has the perfect excuse... he can respond he only snorted coke once, and that was when someone told him his kindergarten ambition was a little lofty.

She had better be careful with that. She's practicing law at a SF 'public interest' firm.. Bill tags along and what? They spend all their free time sightseeing and working for the homeless?
    [​IMG]
    "Well, yes.. I did it once, but I blew my nose right away!"

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

now, 'fog; as everybody knows, the president with a coke-head past is NOT Clinton.

19. pettyfog

Uh... you're kidding, right? Just to be clear, Dubya just said he wouldnt talk about it.. he didnt say, 'I drank, but I never swallowed" or anything ELSE that ridiculous.

And I think you're missing the point in defending your darlings. However... if you INSIST on yanking chains, you have your chance right now to declare your certainty that Hillary never snorted a line.

How about it?
    ANd does it make sense for her campaign to go down that road?

You see, THAT IS THE POINT. And....Dubya isnt running, remember?

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

1. I never said the Clintons are my darlings. I have, moreover, made it clear that I don't want Hillary on the ticket.

2. I'm not managing her campaign, but I do know that Obama's image is that he's not like anybody else. Once you put up that squeaky clean facade, you're begging to get hit.

3. Wealthy white lawyers NEVER snort coke, 'fog; everybody knows that.

4. My point about the President was primarily to piss you off, but it was also to point out that his coke usage and his Alabama National Guard AWOL was well known and well documented in Texas from the time he ran for Congress when his father was VP. There didn't need to be any speculation or innuendo about it.

5. If the hint of drug usage in their past is enough to get Clinton or Obama off the front-runner list, then good for it. There'll be a better president in the White House [from either party] in 2009 if neither is on the ticket.

A well-known past of drug and alcolhol problems certainly wasn't enough to derail GWB in 2000, but then his refusal to deny and quibble took the steam out of people's urge to investigate. And besides, most of the Senate and House are rich white lawyers who have had close up looks in a mirror on their table so ... .