Hello from Chicago

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by ChicagoCottager, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Hello from Chicago (I assume I'm not the only one). I've been bouncing around different forums for years now. First the old Cottage Corner back in the day, and then more recently Friends of Fulham, but I haven't found that site to be all that great, lots of non-sense posts. As a long time (at least since the McBride days) American Fulham fan, I'm hoping to find a home here.

I grew up playing soccer (and still do), playing as a young kid through high school and some college. When the premiership started being broadcast in the US on various Fox channels, I was hooked and need a team to support. As an Illinois native and USMNT fan, Brian McBride and Fulham were the team for me.

Nowadays I'm living in Chicago and trying to watch as many games as I can (which isn't much in the Championship). I've been to a few Chicago Cottagers supporters group events, and even organized one at the beginning of the season (if you were at AJ Hudson's in August you probably saw me!), but no with no games being televised and streams even being hard to come by (thanks Spanish government...) I haven't seen much Fulham activity in Chicago.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Welcome CC. It's been many years since I've been back, but one upon a time graduated HS in Wheaton. Are you in the city or the burbs?

Certainly has been an adjustment to the Championship, and hopefully the club has stabilized after the nightmare start. If you are on Facebook, FUSA has a group there as well where some of the members on here post as well.

3. tim

tim Active Member

Welcome CC. Nice to have you on board. Spent my college years in the Chicago area, but regretfully, have not been back much since.

Indeed, everything about being a Fulham supporter has become more challenging since relegation. It's even more depressing when you consider how much NBC has stepped up with their coverage of the Prem, and wishing we could be a part of it, instead of the backwater that is the Championship.

You'll still find plenty of spirit and optimism here, though, Sharing in Fulham moments (both the highs and the lows) with the membership here took me from a casual fan to a devotee.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Welcome, and what took you so long?
    ;)
    You should know that this site was co-founded by a guy going by the moniker 'Chicago Tom' who did more than a yeoman job in assuring its success.
    And of course our site has a tradition of its own. FoF and Cottage Corner never made a lead mention on Sportscenter. We're onna the nitty gritty traditions in US soccer lore.

-signed-
    'Columbus Jim'

5. ChicagoCottager

Thanks for the welcomes! I can't believe I didn't find this site sooner. Lookin forward to riding the Fulham roller coaster with you guys.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Welcome ChicagoCottager. Did you know Derek? He started the Chicago group up a few years ago.

7. ChicagoCottager

I think I did one time a few years back, but I can't say I know him. Is he on this board?

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

He was on here a few years back (aka lasttuesday) but hasn't been around these parts in awhile. Last I knew he moved to Vegas and was looking for someone to run the Chicago Cottagers Assoc. Good to know you guys still get together when possible. Life in the Championship has not been kind to us stateside supporters.

9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I'll also point out that there is a chatroom organized on matchdays where you can follow the action with other forum members. I haven't taken advantage of this yet since on Saturdays I'm typically cleaning my bathroom while listening to Gentleman Jim via FulhamFC.com. It has gotten to be such a habit that when I follow mid-week games at work I have to fight the urge to go scrub toilets.

dcheather likes this.
  10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I LOVE CHICAGO! WELCOME! I especially love, in no particular order, Lou Malnati's, Ed Devebic's, Lou Mitchell's, The Shedd Aquarium, Lakeshore Drive, the Willis Tower, the John Hancock Tower, Michigan Avenue, the Vienna Beef Factory Store, Navy Pier and Willow Creek Community Church!
    Haven't ventured up there lately, need to get up there.

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Welcome CC. Love Chicago as well was out there a couple years ago to see the Red Sox play the Cubs. Jump ever try a Giordanos Pizza?

jumpkutz likes this.
  12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Don't think so Jim....so many crusts, so little time...

13. tim

tim Active Member

I was big Giordanos fan when I lived there. And now I'm hungry.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I saw a man there who danced with his wife!

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I actually had a twitter conversation with Ray Hudson one night about Giordanos. Ray mentioned he was having one and I asked him if he was in Chicago or did he have one sent and if so how was it after being frozen. In typical Ray fashion he said something to the effect of it being Magisterial.

16. ChicagoCottager

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Giordano's is probably the most popular Chicago pizza, but I'm more of a Lou Malnati's guy. Not quite as overwhelmingly filling so I can eat more than one piece!

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Preferred Lou's as well, but might have liked Pizzeria Uno even more. That said, had a friend go to Uno's a couple years ago and was somewhat disappointed.

18. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Next time there I'm going to try a pie from Lou Malnati's.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Words to live by...You should always diversify your pizza sampling. :)

jimsig likes this.
  20. ChicagoCottager

Yea I've never been a big fan of Uno, but I'm all for the diversification of pizza sampling.

jimsig likes this.