HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Jul 4, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Its the second time in my life I have been in a different country for my favorite holiday and sadly I won't be on a beach this year!!

Hope you all have a great holiday.

COYW's

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, Mike. Spent a lot of July 4's overseas myself.

Up early here [0600] to try and get the smoker going before the rain hits. Four slabs of ribs plus sausage, chicken, and all the trimmings for the folks that can swim here. Doesn't look like a lot of outdoor doings, but we'll be doing the best we can.

Have fun yourself, pard!

3. psand22

psand22 Member

No big cookout planned today - unfortunately. Those ribs do sound good. We're just floating down the Congaree / Saluda Rivers with the coolers in tow. The cooler temps (high 80's) have passed and it's gonna be a hot one today. There should be plenty of sunburn to pass around with those beers.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Happy 4th, all!

[​IMG]

Sadly we'll be departing the Villa today, the tickets worked out so that it was cheaper to extend a few days and fly on the 4th, which was good. But we'll be watching the fireworks from above while jetting east.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Happy usurper day ;).

I will be celebrating Venezuela's independence from Spain on the 5th July, an altogether more sensible party.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

GBFC,

I didn't mention that my favorite July 4 moments were when that day would coincide with a Wimbledon all-American finals match. Not many of those recently, but a lot more recently than Fred Perry's triumph.

The colonials wish you a good day as well, pard!

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Thanks Don. I hope you all have a good holiday.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Happy 4th of July wishes to all. Hope everyone can celebrate the 4th in the All-American of grilling out and watching fireworks.

It has been nearly 3-4 years since I've seen a fireworks show so I glad I finally get to break that trend this year.

9. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

So the country was built by the principles of theft, deception, and force. Don't forget we learned from the best. More importantly, Kobyashi is paying 2-1. Giddy up. Happy beers and BBQ everybody.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

After hosting a household of El Tri fans (of course all of them were born on this side of the boarder) for the Copa Oro, the wifey and I will be doing the 4th Mexican-American style w/corn tamales and dos equios (throw in a negra modelo or two) at a Copa America, fireworks party.

Will be actually cheering on the Mexican side vs Chile today. A 2 goal win by Mexico, a win/tie for Brazil, and a 2 goal victory for our JV team and we would actually advance (stop laughing everyone).

11. RDG

RDG Member

Happy 4th to all!

Mike -- my fave memory of a 4th over there was the 1-0 loss to Brazil in the WC. At least all in the pub were impressed by how the 'Mericans handled the Brazilians. Of course, that evening when we went to a local restaurant in Peckham, we were greeted by the waitress, draped in the Brazilian flag and doing the samba. Too funny!

Wednesday holidays stink! Accompanied by rain (or at least not-so-great weather), it's even worse!!

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Picture of my desk when I got in to work:

[​IMG]

The people I work with a great and put in an extra effort for me today. Even took me to TGI Fridays!

13. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

:banana: Happy 4th Fulhamites

14. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Mike...seems like you work with a humorous bunch. Hopefully you chose the boneless wings at TGI Fridays...they are tasty.

15. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Wednesday holidays do suck... I haven't come into work hung over in quite some time, but today's the day...

16. pettyfog

And the only time I ever spent the 4th outside the US I was at a seminar at University of York, in 1981.
    Lotsa good natured banter about it there, too

17. jmh

jmh New Member

You've gotta plan ahead, man. I was hung over YESTERDAY. :idea:

18. pettyfog

I was gonna say... that's what I observed, from a totally spectator aspect, of course. The parties were on the third

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No hangover here, but I have been informed by three correspondents so far that this is NOT Monday morning.

Ok, maybe a little hangover.

20. pettyfog

Gotta say, though... I had more beers at the Villa than in the previous two years, total.

sidepoint: Pabst Blue Ribbon tastes to me like Stroh's used to ... 'back in the day'.

I was part of the leading edge for that label, and evidently still am.. like PBR, while it's basically still 'counter-culture', same as Stroh's was then