Goooooch! ... spells 'Oguchi Onyewu'

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

The comments seem to suggest that Ives may have been sugar-coating it a bit. The composite opinion seems to be "a few early hiccups, maybe due to the language barrier, but settled in well."

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Of course they are a little pissed at everything right now, but the Rosseneri fans are not as nice to Gooch as Ives. Went to a message board (acmilan-online.com, its in english) and the word "sucks" appears in practically every post about him. There is a thread dedicated to Gooch (started when he signed), and though it reads like a thread on Offal (tangent here, tangent there) not a single "good signing". The one rating I found gave him a 5.5 with 'a debut characterized by a lack of communication and a small heap of indecision'.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

He didn't communicate well with people who don't speak the same language as he does? Imagine that.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sounds like the offal in the early days of:

McBride
    Dempsey
    Hangeland
    Paintsil

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Big difference between Fulham and Milan. European supportters will throw you under the bus after a couple of games and make sure you're killed while you're under the bus. Many English clubs have more understanding supporters. Let's put it this way, Ibra was booed last year at home. If Eto'o scores only 15 goals we'll probably boo him too.

Milan supporters are pissed because Inter looks like they're pulling away from Milan for a long time while other clubs are catching up. Gooch signing doesn't really help their situation much. Well at least it wasn't a big signing. He's going to have to become a beast if he's to gain their support.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Milan sounds like Philly, as far as fans go.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

..... 'nuff said.

Worst thing could happen is for Gooch to read Ives.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

You mean the comments, right? Because Ives doesn't usually write anything on his site. Just something to the effect of:

"I ate a banana and oatmeal for breakfast today.

What do you think that combination? Is it a healthy enough breakfast? Or should I have eaten an orange with yogurt?

Share your thoughts below."

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Ives is actually my favorite soccer blogger/columnist. He doesn't have opinions so strong that the blog is more about him than the sport, but does share good information and observations. I disagree with him less than I do the other big blogger.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I watched the AC - Zurich match today on GolTV. Gooch was shaky at first but to no detriment. Then he had numerous header clearances. The strange thing is that the last 10 minutes of the game he was essentially playing forward - didnt even track back on defense the few times Zurich got the ball into thier end. So yeah, playing as a forward, sometimes he looked awkward. Can you imagine. Gooch finally gets some playing time for his new big club and he is thrown in to one of their most embarassing defeats as a forward. I have to think their manager is on the way out, but then I dont follow Serie A so maybe this is all normal

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Not even sniffing the substitutes bench today, and Milan are already down 1-0 to Atalanta. Not exactly the perfect situation for our big fellah. Hope he is at least learning a few pointers Jonkulovski, Zambrotta, and Nesta in training.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I know its still extremely early in the season, but I fully expect Gooch to be loaned out somewhere in January. And thats even if his PT increases from its current non-existence to some sporadic cameos.

13. Clevelandmo

Gooch out for 6 months

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 00,00.html

Not good. Leaves little opportunity of seeing the pitch for AC and no chance of a January loan or transfer. So he'll have less than 3 months and virtually no competitive matches to get sharp for the WC.

14. Clevelandmo

Gooch starts light training with the US MNT, and expects to return to Milan soon. Good news - four months after the injury.

I had read there were rumors in Italy of an MLS loan so Gooch could get matches before the World Cup, but couldnt find anything more. I cant decide which I'd rather see - MLS or try to break through in Milan after an injury.

Either way, Come on Gooch!!

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Given how the labor negotiations are going, staying at Milan would be better than going to the MLS.

16. Clevelandmo

Not just training but Nesta had surgery and wont be back for the rest of the season. Gooch should be able to get some playing time if not a lot

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

h/t Crewbeat on BS - Crew:

Gooch makes front page on Yahoo News this AM

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Didnt last long.. replaced by the Zak Herold story.