Goooooch! ... spells 'Oguchi Onyewu'

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Apr 28, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Waiting for it.. 3..2...1...

Goalkeepers dont count! That issue is settled.

-heh.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I tend to agree. Hopefully he'll be a smashing success, but I'm thinking it'll be Newcastle all over again for him. It'll be interesting to see if the fans take to him because he's not a big name or that highly rated.

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

Good for Gooch, I think he will get some solid PT. Boy, will Milan need defensive help next year. I'd rather he signed with an English club, but he'll get more exposure at Milan.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm figuring 25-30 starts in all competitions, barring injury. The only good thing about him signing there is that, like Barcelona, AC Milan is in DIRE need of some defensive help.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And, in Serie A, they've been known to understand and apply fairly well defensive and counter-attack strategy. Something the U.S. employed with positive results against the competition in South Africa, but could still use some practice with and seasoned minds for.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well, WB.

Catenaccio, baby, catenaccio.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Milan fans are underwhelmed by this signing (he had his poorest game of the tourney v Italy), which might actually work for him. I know Milan are looking for some big names to try and fill the void left by Kaka, but they seem to be in a state of decline/transistion. I would like to be optimistic, but I don't think this will end well. Crossing my fingers he makes a good first impression, because if he doesn't he's toast.

8. EricD

EricD New Member

If Lalas can come back with passing skills after his stint in Italy, Gooch ideally will develop his possession game out of the back much better. I thought he showed a lot of improvement in his passing during the Confed Cup.

9. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Y'all have said it well.....I'll just say "kick some butt, Gooch!"

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Coincidence??

"Obama met with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano upon arriving in Rome today and thanked him profusely for his hospitality and graciousness. He will meet later today with Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, whose reputation is less pure because of frequent encounters with younger women."

Maybe 'fog is right, EVERYTHING is politics....

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Are we talking about the same Barcelona who won the Champions League and allowed the fewest goals in La Liga, and are returning almost the same core of players? That Barcelona? :?:

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What the Hatter MEANT to say was "Real Madrid" NOT Barcelona. It was Real who bolstered their attack and ignored their Swiss cheese defense.

I'll be back in a day or so; I'm off to round up some stray synapses.

13. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

So who's the next American to transfer to a "Top 10" club in the world and when?

My guess is Jozy after next year's World Cup.

14. Aztattooedsean77

Aztattooedsean77 New Member

good luck to gooch!

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

AC Milan-Club America is currently on ESPN 2 right now. Gooch is finally with AC Mlian and on the bench for this game. Hopefully he sees some action in the second half.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

He is sporting the #14 jersey and about to enter the game to start the second half.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Gooch played well. He was partly at fault for the first Club America goal, but I got the impression he expected the keeper to come out for a far post ball (as he moved to cover the near post one). Other than that, he was good in the box and showed some nice foot skills. He also created two goal scoring opportunities - one a long ball from his own box which Inzaghi almost got on the end of (and who gave him applaus for the attempt), the other being a beautiful header to the 18 year old striker (forget the name) who missed the ensuing sitter.

He seemed to be welcomed well by his teammates - lots of hugs, chatter, etc. Based also on the interview with the manager (who speaks decent English), he seems to have settled well, personality wise, within the team.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

plus, he'd only had two workouts with the squad. I look for good things for our giant.

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm very worried about this. I'd rather he'd gone to B'ham. He wont play enough. Italy is totally the wrong place for our big lion-hearted defender.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Have some faith, Mo. He's good enough to play and start for AC Milan, and I think he did so again yesterday or today in the Audi Cup and looked solid. Give him a little time to brush up on his Italian and he'll be intimidating Serie A strikers in no time!

Also, Serie A is cash strapped and US players are relatively cheap and no longer perceived as so bad as to prevent their acquisition. :lol: