Gooch Injury

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFC24, Oct 14, 2009.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

On ESPN they just said he had a torn tendon and will probably be out til May. I just heard this on the MLS halftime show. So you can probably count him out of the World Cup.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I read elsewhere that it's a 3-4 month injury. So probably after the Winter transfer window. Sucks for him as he wouldn't be able to go out on loan.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Not good. Throw in DeMerit's eye injury and the CB position is not looking so deep right now.

I still think Boca playing LB with Gooch/DeMerit in the middle is the best current option and that doesn't look like it will get much play.

Please tell me Castillo is good......

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Castillo is good.

Hooch will be back and fine by then. Patella tear - dislocated the knee cap - 3-4 months.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

My only concern, and this is coming from someone who hasn't seen him play and just taking opinion on what I have read, that he is very good at attacking for a LB, but his actual defense is somewhat of a weakness.

While the attacking aspect from a fullback is something Bob likes, I am fearful with the "weakness". The US needs a tough backline if it wants to do anything.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Castillo himself has admitted he is not all that good at defense.

7. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Between Davies and Gooch, our World Cup fortunes have taken quite a downward turn this week. Amazing how quickly things have changed just since qualifying.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how Bob picks the roster for Denmark, 11/18.

Hopefully Marshall will be unavailable due to club commitments, not niggling injury. And it should be from European players anyway.

The real question is how Gooch handles the rehab and if he can dismiss the injury when he comes back.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The real question for Gooch is how will he get a game for his club side after his rehab if he couldn't get a minute or two for them when he was fully fit?

10. Clevelandmo

AC Milan will seek damages from the US soccer federation for Gooch's injuires. What a joke. The damage seeking should be the other way around. If Gooch was on top of his game maybe this never would have happened.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

12. pettyfog

WB, that doesnt make sense.
    Look, if Gooch had a lick of sense, when selecting teams to play for, he wouldnt be on a sub list in the first place.

When is he gonna learn that you make your rep by who you play against, and how well you perform against them,not who pays your salary.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

signing for AC Mafia was a huge mistake no matter what -- for Gooch. But it was golden for his agent. Remember his "Newcastle is a bigger club" screw-up a couple seasons ago? That experience pretty much killed his rep in the Prem. Gooch needs a new club and he REALLY needs a new agent. But, no matter what, the Gooch we had summer of 2009 won't be nearly the Gooch we'll have in the summer of 2010.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

They probably didn't have a picture of Gooch actually playing in a Milan jersey :roll: , kind of embarrassing not to pick up that mistake.

His lack of playing time showed before the injury and now he probably will be unavailable until Feb. at the earliest.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Guess they've changed the picture b/c when I click that link, he's wearing a Milan kit.

Yeah, b/c fit players never get injured. Seems petty for Milan to seek damages on a player who rarely sees the pitch, but that seems to be the nature of the beast these days and insurance probably covers it. It would be asinine for the US to seek damages from Milan.

I hope Marshall gets some opportunities at cb b/c I think he could be good for us at some point. A Marshall/Demerit pairing might have some potential.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Ag, somebody over there picked up on the fact the photo wasn't even Gooch in a Liege jersey, but a different player totally.

Milan is extra pissed because selling him for a tidy profit just went out the window.

17. pettyfog

Screw 'em. Next time, let 'em buy porkbellies!

Oh.. wait.. that's Newcastle's schtick!
    - - - - - - -
    Yeah... but NOT in November, please. So, then in January/Feb

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Milan would have to play Gooch for them to make a profit. Milan are pissed because now they have little depth at CB. Gooch was not only bought to sell some kits in America, but also to add depth. They better hope that Nesta holds up or they could be in some trouble.

19. Clevelandmo

Have you no sense of humour Ag. Oh that's right, you're an Aggie so you wouldnt understand.

20. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

I work at an orthopaedics office and spoke to a doctor (who is also a soccer fan) at the practice today. He did not exactly raise my spirits.
    I asked him if Gooch would be back for the World Cup. He looked at me and said, "If the injury really is what they are saying, then no." He said the 3-4 month window we are seeing mentioned by ESPN and elsewhere is just the recovery period from the surgery. After that is EXTENSIVE rehab that he said really puts pressure on the quads.
    He looked at me and said, "How negative do I want to be?" and then said that he gives Gooch a 50-50 chance to ever be his old self. He said he actually thinks Davies has a better shot to recover than Gooch.
    Of course, he normally treats a bunch of high school athletes and older people, not world class athletes like Gooch. I'm not sure how much he was taking that into account.