Goal Celebrations

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Aug 17, 2006.

1. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Here's a random question: oftentimes during a goal celebration, I see the goal scorer make a fist and kiss his fingers, as if he's kissing a ring or something. I've seen several players do this. Any idea what this means? Is this a universal symbol, or something that different players take to mean different things?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My belief on the kissing of the ring finger would be a sign to the players wife or significant other. Often times with goal celebrations, the player is doing things for his wife, children, family, etc. I think the ring kiss is for the wife or girlfriend. However, I would be curious as to what others think.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I agree. Or if not married, perhaps a kiss to pay hommage to whatever is symbolized on the ring (cross, etc.)

4. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

I thought it was perhaps a Catholicism thing--like kissing the Pope's ring as a way to show faithfulness, etc. Considering that I've seen it from a lot of Latin, Spanish and Portugese players (where, of course, Catholicism is very widespread), that, enforced the notion. Oh, won't somebody help us out here? I have to know! :D

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I always thought the kiss the ring celebration was for the spouse.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Most of the goal celebrations are too theatrical these days. The last time I scored a goal I simply saluted Churchill and bowed to King George. :3d smile:

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The last time I scored a goal (which was a left footed shot in the top right cuna last night), I just walked back to my defensive position like I do it all the time,...which I don't.

The ring kissing has gotten a little overdone, but I don't really care how people celebrate.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I hope to NEVER see Crouch do the robot again. That was terrible.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

MY FAVORITE GOAL CELEBRATION IS FROM A FORMER FULHAM PLAYER...

SAVA

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

you mean this guy? :3d footy:

[​IMG]

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

YOU'VE MADE MY MORNING! THANKS HEATHER!