Fulham's Winter Window: Guess who's in or out..

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Time to take down the McBride and Haynes Sticky subject threads.

So... Let's punt around what Fulham need to finish strong.

And who's redundant.

My guess... unless he's reinspired, Boa

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Fulham

Id say Zat Knight or Carlos Bocanegra, they seem to be not getting much playing time so they may ask for a transfer request. And if a team like Birmingham comes in and makes a bid for McBride I could see us accepting it.

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

I have been a huge Zat critic, but he has played well this year. (He always played OK most of the time but would make a huge mistake at least once a game; he hasn't been making the screwups this season). I think the defense is still in a flux and we won't know until November who really are the best players.

We cannot sell a first team striker without a replacement, unless we plan on this being the season of 0-0 matches.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am still not convinced our defense will hold up throughout the season. I also would like another striker up front if we prove to be lacking in the scoring dept as I assume we will be.

It also depends on injuries to players at that time in the season. Obviously Jimmy Bullard is out. I hope no one else is out for the season at that point.

One more thing, January is sometimes not the best time to buy players. From what I always see each season, teams tend to overpay for players and make panic buys. Fulham did quite well last season in January, but each season brings about a whole new batch of players and agents with market values usually blown out of proportion. I hope Fulham is able to do well in this area. Even if we are top ten or bottom three, we could always use some reinforcements.

5. BC

BC New Member

I'd like to see us nab Gooch and a quality striker or a midfielder (or both!). I really think scoring needs to be a priority as we don't have a proven, consistent finisher. Our midfield will be great after the injuries heal and our defense could use another boost as well. So I guess Gooch + a quality striker and I'd be satisfied.

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

7. jmh

jmh New Member

You know, all the Americans are a big reason why I started following Fulham in the first place, but it'd be nice if they stopped picking up guys from teams I HATE. Next I'm sure it'll be somebody from the DC Scum.

Still, generally speaking, Dempsey could be a useful addition.

Anything new in the rumor mill about Gooch? Or has that talk cooled down with Knight and Pearce looking solid in defense of late?

8. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

I'd like to see us bolster the defense and midfield--there are times this season (in the games I've seen) where we've looked lost in the mid and completely confused on defense. And can we PLEASE get rid of Collins John? I've reserved judgement up to now, but when he went in against Villa, he seemed to half-ass it several times when he could have easily gotten to the ball. I just cannot abide a player not hustling, especially when he's not playing anywhere near the full 90 (or 45, for that matter). He may be talented, but he strikes me as lazy and unmotivated.

I have liked Knight's play so far, as well as Routledge (hustler) and Jensen's been big these last two games.

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

jmh - Everytime Fulham take a quality player from a team you hate it weakens the team ready for a good kick-in the next time round.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

You know something? That's a very good point. :D

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If I was coach.......

Boa Morte, Diop, and John would be considered chum for Gooch and finishing forward or striking midfielder (yes, I am warming up to Dempsey, but not completely sold yet).

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

If we did bring in Gooch, who would he replace? Knight and Pearce have played well enough to keep their spots in the lineup, IMO

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He needs to be in the squad. Pearce is no spring chicken and, if we get a good cup run going, he'll need a break or two. I think that Gooch and Boca could spell Knight and Pearce quite well.

I hate giving up on Boa and Papa -- especially since we're so vulnerable in midfield -- but I think John has to go.

And, since I have gone almost three weeks without mentioning him, I have two words to enhance our midfield "Carlos Edwards." Surprise, he's a Hatter.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not think we need to get rid of anyone to bring in a new player or two. I have always been a big proponent of competition within a team. It makes for better training sessions and makes each player work that much harder just to be in the team.

Specifically with Gooch, he could be eased into the team over the course of the second half of the season. I would also bet heavy money Pearce does not make it through the season without at least one injury that will make him miss a match or two.

I think giving up on Papa and Boa would be a mistake. I am not saying either should be automatic choices, but Cookie should be up front with both of them and let them know they are not guaranteed first team selection every match. This could spark both of them and bring out the best in each one. When playing well, these two players would likely be our two best players. Unfortunately, we have not seen the best in these two in a long, long time.

I hope some reinforcements are brought in during January, but I am not so sure. We still have two and half months for things to happen on the pitch before we determine what needs to be done off the pitch. I hope the good run continues and the climb up the table continues, but you never know.

15. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I would rather not see Collins John play forward for Fulham anymore. I know I'm a relative newbie to the team, but every time I have seen him, I've been dissapointed. I don't know if Clint Dempsey is the answer, but better him than John.

In general, I think Fulham needs to acquire talent at midfield and defense to make the current midfielders and defense act as quality back up or just get depth players. Fulham has been relatively fortunate with respect to injuries, but I don't know how long that will last when EVERY team will be gunning for position in the EPL.

I'm a big Oguchi fan, so I wouldn't mind seeing him in donning the White's jersey; but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

16. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Sunday's BBC gossip column was full of Fulham related talk...something for everyone, including Gooch fans:

and just for fun:

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fulham January '07 Transfers

Put this in the rumour category for now, but still......
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fulham eyeing Standard Liege stopper Onyewu
    tribalfooball.com - October 29, 2006
    Fulham are eyeing Standard Liege defender Oguchi Onyewu.

The USA international almost joined Middlesbrough in the summer and also was linked with Real Madrid.

Standard Liege are ready to listen to offers in January for Onyewu and Fulham boss Chris Coleman is considering tabling an offer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why do I follow Gooch?

One, he stays healthy, unlike PC (who we could jettison with this acquisition).

Two, he's not slow and approaching his mid 30's like Pearce.

Three, he's better than Zat Knight, but they would make a good pairing as CBs and they could both probably learn from each other and Pearce (who has the will, but not the speed).

Four, N. Jensen is not a first teamer and should leave.

Five, Zakuani is not yet a first teamer and could learn from Onyewu.

Six, ditto for Omozusi.

Seven, Gooch has said in interviews he'll play anywhere on the pitch as needed, including Striker if it will help get a win.

In my opinon, no lack of ambition in Gooch, no lack of ambition in Cookie trying to acquire him. And we certainly don't have to limit ourselves to just one move in the January transfer window either.

18. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I'd like to add an eighth and ninth, PCB.

Eight, Oneywu isn't just young and filled with determination, he's actually really good at CB. He gave Luca freaking Toni of Italy fits in the World Cup. Except for the Czech game where the entire USMNT looked flat and the BS penalty called against him in the Ghana game, he's a solid center back who's only going to get better and better. Want more? He's been named to the Belgian League's Best XI twice and named Foreign Player of the Year in 2005.

Ninth, he's huge! 6 feet and 4 inches tall! 193 centimetere! 210 pounds! 95 kilos! He's not going to be bullied or pushed around out there by anyone. If anything, the concern may be him being too physical - he has received 14 yellow cards and 3 red cards in the 74 games he has played with Standard de Liege.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I love the Liverpool rumor. You'll Never Walk Alone while you whistle Sweet Georgia Brown and dump a bucket full of confetti on a field-side spectator in the middle of the game. Their friendlies with the Washington Generals are going to be SO much fun!

I'm glad Fulham is targeting Onyweu. While the Aston Villa performance showed me that the current back 4 can play real well; I doubt they can repeat that performance on a regular basis. Plus, I don't think Zat Knight is all that great; Onyweu would be an instant upgrade there, IMO.

I also think Fulham could use some help in the midfield. The injuries to Bullard, Boa Morte (OK, he's a forward but I've seen him in the midfield), and Diop has really tested their depth. Hell, recently we've seen 2 fullbacks play in the midfield! Good to see them looking at a forward like Maloney (sorry to possibly seeing you go Collins John, no wait, I'm not sorry if you go), but I think the midfield needs to be strengthened.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The funniest thing is the 'old-timer purist' Fulham fans would fall in love with Onyewu over the season.
    Oh, there'd be some carping about his 'rough play' but they'd see it different after a little while.