Fulham vs. Reading [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Happy days are here again! :banana: :3d smile: :banana:

Oh thank god we were able to do it today. Simon Davies is my motm, Nemi was also very good, Kuqi should start the next match. Good team performance today; hopefully this will be a turning point!

On a bad note, the editing down of the game ticked me off! To just skip ahead 10 minutes at various times messes with your head.

2. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

YEAAAAAAHHHHHH! Okay, just had to get that out of my system. 3 big, much-needed points. Whew.

I am the only one who didn't realize how BIG Kuqi is? God, we miss that up front with Brian gone. The youngsters played well. I'm terribly disappointed at Omozusi's red card, cause I'd rather see him than Baird back on the field.

Big relief to see a confidence-building win at home-- intelligent subs, solid defending (was anyone else holding their breath that Stefanovic would draw a second yellow?!?), and a solid win.

Add in a few really lovely saves from Niemi, and the boys looked good. I agree that more creativity in the mid would help, but Davies/Davis worked their tails off.

COYW!!

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thought it was a very entertaining match. With the exception of Kamara and Bouaza, I thought every Fulham player had a good game.

I'm sure Reading feels they deserved a point out it; arguably they did, but for once, Fulham did a good job of closing out the game.

I too was ticked by how FSC cut the game.

I'd like to see Kuqi start next week, with Healy or Dempsey with him (Dempsey can play Left Mid if needed) - I loved his energy and Fulham has missed having a true target player.

MOM is Davies, with honorable mention to Kuqi.

4. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh, I wish I remembered to record this as it was the only game this weekend where the team I support actually won (Devils lost in a shootout, Rutgers lost to UConn, Red Bulls lost to the Revolution)!!

I'm very happy that the Whites FINALLY got a win. They were due and I'm glad it came at the hands of another team currently stuck in a pit of misery.

Let's go to Liverpool and make a miracle, COYW!

5. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

We really needed that. I was really proud of the back four. They had a few hiccups, but that is to be expected. I agree with Spencer that Kuqi should get a start. I was really dissapointed with Kamara. I don't think he played very well and seemed to complain for penalties to much. I thought Healy looked very good as well.

COYW.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I thought that to, I was sat just to the left of the Fulham goal in the second half when the ball rolled infront of him and he appealled for handball. I thought he was having a winge because he missed a sitter, but on the replays Dubury gets a hand to it and defelects it wide of Kamara, so I have to take that one back. Still thought his first half fall in the box was a joke though.

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

It was a great game to watch. I was nervous most of the game since Reading piled on the pressure pretty well. I can't even count the number of times I complained about the midfield losing the ball too quickly and not being able to do anything with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that and thought the same thing.

Kuqi was awesome. To see his enthusiasm and hustle was great. He sprinted for balls he knew would be almost impossible to get. Very McBride-like. Good on him for making a sudden and noticeable impact.

And Simon Davies. What a match he had. That goal was superb. Superb! Hannehman had no chance on that goal. And on that note, Hannehman should not be down about his preformance. 2 of the 3 goals were just GOOD goals. It happens to even the best of keepers.

I hope to see the same sort of hustle and quality from everyone when we go up to Anfield and take on the faltering Reds. though I am concerned about our backline. Omusizi REALLY impressed me and I was upset he got that useless red card. Saddest part was that he didn't even make contact with the Reading player. A shame indeed.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, finally got a chance to watch the match after getting back from our gig last night. Was really stunned to see a huge chunk of the first half gone out of the recording, but then I realized that we delayed our return to standard time a week and that compressed the time between European matches and the MLS playoff game, sooooo.

It was good to see that I pretty much got my match report right -- I was depending on matchtracker, gentleman Jim, and the lads [and Terri] in the chatroom. I thought Omozusi and Ashton played very well. And Stefanovich did indeed turn into a ball winner. I wasn't that impressed with him in the air when I saw him before, but he won EVERYTHING!

Both Davies and Davis [props to Stu] played very well. I love how quickly we get the ball out of defense on the ground. The back line, with one or two exceptions, cleared the ball in a positive way consistently. The third goal was cherce. Kuqi's flick on was pure McBride, and Davies must have caused half the Reading defense to crap itself because of his speed and determination. The last time I saw that kind of headlong streak towards goal, the name on the back of the white shirt read "Malbranque." It was also nice to see Healy hit the open goal.

I'm not sure that Kuqi is a 90 minute player, but he needs to play at least a half against Liverpool. I think that, until Brian comes back, you need to bring him and Healy on [or start them both] together. He's a big fekker and he puts it about. I didn't think anybody could outmuscle Reading's central defenders like that, but he did the job so quickly and effortlessly.

I sort of agree with Stu about the midfield, but I think that this is TOTALLY down to Murphy. He just so much slower that Bouazza, Davies, and Davis. We really need to lose him and get Smertin back.

We really are a better side than we were last year, but we're still not showing it in the table. But, we're no longer one bad match away from the bottom three, and I think we've turned the corner into making the Cottage a fortress again. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

COYW!

PS Mikey, Stu, Kev, Josh: get yourselves some name tags so you can find each other!

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No comments on 'Oh my susie's' card?

I think it's SO wrong!

11. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Agree, pettyfog, and he has to be pretty damn frustrated himself. Last time I checked, intent doesn't count for anything if NO contact is made with a player.

I'm doubly bummed because after one game, I'm TOTALLY prepared to throw Baird aside for this kid.

ETA: Ah, point taken, GBFC. I'm certainly still surprised by the red, in any case!!

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks for the link. Worst thing about the game was that I missed 2/3 of it (a hard charging 1 year old who has not yet developed a love for the game, give him time!) but I saw enough to say Kuqi deserves at least a start next week -- he out-toughed every Reading midfielder on every ball I saw.

The back four looked really good -- the FSC announcer remarked how Boca and Baird would have a tough time getting back in front of Omozusi and Ashton (he was at least half right, at least before Omozusi's red card) Toob ad for that, I thought he had a good game

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I got home from my kids matches in time to see about the final 15 minutes on FSC and thought the Kuqi monster and the youngsters looked very good. Simon Davies looked like he had the devil himself chasing him down the right side on the run off Kuqi's flick on and could not have made a better pass to Healy who finshed nicely. Fulham needed these three and can hopefully feed off of them.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I was captaining our school's B Team yesterday, and this result made the day so much more tolerable.

Until yesterday Fulham hadn't scored 3 goals since January when they beat Stoke City in the FA Cup 3-0! We were long overdue.

All around great effort. Hopefully this will continue into this long, tough stretch ahead.

COYW!!!!!!

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Really great match!!! Loved the new additions to the back lines and of course loved the result. Especially since I had just spent the day watching my son's team perform in a very Fulhamish manner in a soccer tourney. At least the namesake didnt behave that way. Are there any soccer/football coaches out there who have some advice for teaching how to finish.

16. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Sorry Meggrs, intent counts for everything when making a reckless tackle. Unfortunatly for Elliot he had his right boot with studs up and the ref interprited it as dangerous play and sent him off.

Reading's Harper says it all though. He started off by telling the ref not to book him (I think he knew he was on a yellow) and looked dumbstruck when he was shown a straight red.

This was typical of Reading all day. They played the game with real sportsmanship. Several times Kitson picked up one of the Fulham young Fulham defenders after a challenge, whether he won or lost the ball.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Not exactly sage words of wisdom here, but once they've gotten close enough, head down, stay over the ball, keep the shot low, and rip it. Put it on the frame and make the Keeper have to make the play. Once the first one goes in, confidence goes up significantly. And that makes a HUGE difference. If it's a Striker, it is a personality thing. They have to want the ball and to make the shot. Be aggressive, not tricky.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

when I was coaching kids, I'd tell my strikers to aim straight for the 'keepers midsection when they took a shot. I figured that accuracy for 10/11 year olds is best expressed in terms of region, and that shooting directly at the keeper was our best chance of not actually putting it where he/she could get to it. Worked pretty well as I remember.

19. EricD

EricD New Member

It seemed as though the midfield did not get settled until the second half. The game started out with a lot of kick ball, and I am not sure what I missed in the compressed television feed. I was watching the clock, and at the 70th minute the midfield was starting to work it around. That was a nice sight. And what happens, Deuce gets his foot on one. Dempsey's settled play might be a nice fit in the midfield to keep him in there with Kuqi and Healy (McBride too when he gets back). Kamara was disappointing. It seemed like he made more effort to call out the hand ball than he did all game.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member