Fulham vs. Blackburn [R] -- T_o_Ms Last Match at The Cottage

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

That would be Jason Roberts. I thought he played well for Blackburn today.

There were points in the game that I thought Fulham played well enough to win and times I thought Blackburn played well enough to win so I guess a draw seems appropriate today.

Dempsey was creative in his passing today and fought hard to win the ball. Neimi's shot stopping today was superb but he still scares me on balls put across the goal in the air.

2. andyns

andyns New Member

Yes, Emerton's goal was offsides, but so was Kamara's, and our penalty was a bit dodgy too you must admit!

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Great effort out of Fulham today and most notably Niemi. His back line let him down at times, but when called upon he made some brilliant saves. Fulham's second goal had a fantastic build up and the ball was simply passed into the back of the net. Can't beat that.

Craven Cottage was packed today and all of the supporters were in good voice. My friends had a fantastic time and it is a shame that it is the last Fulham match we'll have a chance to attend for quite some time. I think a few of them could latch onto Fulham as their club... or at least I hope so.

Great to run into Mike and some other Americans at the Golden Lion. Thanks again Mike for all of your help while I've been in London. Hope you enjoyed the Pride.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

what do you mean by that don? that a snide comment at what the pundits think? because although i agree with you, the bottom isnt as far off as it may seem. (although we dont have a -13 GD!!!!!)

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My point was that:

a. a win would have left us in 12th [where we are after the draw], and still closer to the relegation zone than the top 10 AND
    b. that we all love to designate matches as "must win" even this early in the season.

Yes, we could lose both upcoming matches, but when you're dealing from 12th instead of from 18th, there's a world of difference. Everybody below us would need to take 4 points for us to be in the zone afterwards, and they do have to play each other and there are more tough matches than Man U and Everton. And that's not to mention the superior goal difference.

Last season we went through 5 or 6 consecutive weeks of "if we don't win we're in the CCC next year" and won only once. It's a little early to be in a panic.

That was my point.

If I had another point, it would be that "we needed to take 7 of 9" prior to the liverpool match. We took 5 and then lost to Liverpool. During that time we went from 15th to 13th. It's November, people. Relax a little.

6. andyns

andyns New Member

Before we start talking relegation, look around us.

Boro are absolute rubbish, lost 3-0 at home to Villa. Or look at Sunderland, 7-1 they lost. Reading aren't too clever either. And I don't think you have to say much about Wigan or Derby.

7. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I agree with you andyns, There are teams that are much worse than Fulham. I think as the season goes on we will separate ourselves from them. Of course last year I thought we had, and then we had a string of bad results and dragged ourselves back into the relegation fight. With Derby and Wigan being so dreadful, and as you said Boro, Sunderland, Reading and even Bolton(although they had a good result), and Spurs could be a relegation candidate, though I doubt it.

I look for Fulham to finish between 12-15 and not get caught up in the relegation battle down the stretch. Who knows, if what the announcer of todays game was true, that McBride, Cook, and Bullard are all around 3 or 4 weeks away. That is a lot of quality coming back to the squad, maybe we could finish even higher, if we start sustaining our leads.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It was a great game, from the perspective of a fan of the game. I thought Dempsey played very well and proved that he needs to be in the central midfield - his pass to Kamara (that Jo flubbed and kicked right at Friedel) was simple perfection.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Damn FSC had some serious technical difficulties today. I me clevelandmo and her family at the Richmond Arms in Houston and it went out at halftime. Came back on around the 85 minute... but really choppy.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah... maybe if we draw every game, somehow we'll end up top four.

heh...

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Through my own stupidity and unfortuntly no one else's I saw the score before I was able to watch the replay. Made watching it a somewhat depressing affair.

That said we're close. If we can figure out this whole hold a lead thing we'll be in business. In the last two seasons I felt that the majority of our win were due to good fortune rather than good play. This year its the opposite. This leads me to feel relatively optimistic about the direction of the club.

12. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I agree with andypalmer. I was pretty disappointed with the midfield. Couldn't hold possession and no creativity. Dempsey was by far the best playmaker. He needs to be leading the attack from center mid. His play could lead to a lot of goals for a guy like Healy if he's playing off of a proper target forward.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, for those of you who -- like me -- saw only the first half and the last 5 minutes on FSC yesterday afternoon, their 10PM [CST] replay got it right. I finished watching the 2nd half this morning and they had sound and everything. Based on past performance, there should be a few more chances to catch this match. If anyone is interested, they should get their DVR ready.

I agree with andypalmer and bostoncottage about our midfield. There were only two occasions I could remember where the midfield put together as many as three completed passes. That will not do. We need Bullard more than anyone.

I also agree with Spencer's comment about the difference between this team and the team of last year in terms of unlucky NOT to win. I had to wonder what the linesman was doing in the second half. Not only should Rover's first goal have been disallowed, but there were two assaults on goal after that where there should have been an offsides flag. I don't agree with Andyns' view of offsides on Kamara's goal. Unlike the Roberts situation in BR's first, Kamara wasn't the target of the ball when he was standing offsides. Subsequent play put him back ONside, and there was no interference. Roberts, on the other hand, was offsides when the pass was directed to him.

Having said all that, Blackburn were much the more artful and efficient side -- and Roberts was easily the MOTM. I fancy their chances of breaking into the top 6 this season. Mark Hughes has effected quite a change in the squad and, as HatterMom commented this morning, they play so much better without Savage on the pitch.

Next Monday is all about keeping the goal difference under control. ManUre will be angry to have dropped points to Bolton and will be looking for somebody to spank.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Agreed. I can see why he was one of our transfer targets over the summer.

15. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Having watched the match a second time on the FSC replay last night, I must say the Dempsey was the only one who did anything in the first half -- he was hustling, winning headers, providing nice feeds, fighting to put in good crosses. That sweet little flip to Kamara down the left was a thing of beauty. Who says Americans don't play with flair?

In the end, though, while a point is a point, the result is just more wasted points. I thought it was funny that even the announcers started talking about Fulham's after-the-80th-minute woes. Amazingly, they even noted that in terms of first-half performance, Fulham would be at the TOP of the table. :shock: All that proves, however, is just how many points have been lost with dismal second-half play.

Honestly, I just don't get it. Is it loss of focus? Are Fulham getting tired? Are we playing too aggressively with a lead instead of packing it in? Are the substituions flummoxing things up down the stretch?

I swear, the next time Fulham have a lead with 15 minutes to go, I want to see a 10-0-0 formation. :lol:

16. andyns

andyns New Member

Funny, I thought Dempsey was largely anonymous.

I believe Kamara was offside.
    The law, from FIFA:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
    - Interfering with play or
    - Interfering with an opponent or
    - Gaining an advantage by being in that position

Kamara was clearly in an offside position when the pass was made out wide, and in my opinion, by occupying that space, he was committing all three offences outlined, and thus, offside.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I think he was doing none of the three. He was nowhere near the ball when it was played, nor was he near the person it was played to. Nobody was drawn away from the action because of anything he did. When the cross was made TO him, he was on-side.

The thing is, this conversation would be a lot more fruitful if we each were drinking a beer, Andy. Speaking of which, years ago when I was stationed in Maryland, I was one of several folks raising money for charity in a marathon soccer/volleyball/softball Saturday at a local community college. After about 10 hours of activity, I found myself sharing a table with a USAF CMSgt who was born a German national. It took us only 10 minutes to get into a heated [but good natured] discussion about the 1966 World Cup final -- specifically England's 3rd goal. As a bunch of stunned folks stood around us, we discussed that whole "it was over/no it wasn't" thing for about 20 minutes getting through a couple of beers each in the process.

To everyone around us, we may as well have been chatting in Serbo-Croation. The fact that the final was more than 15 years past didn't hurt either of our arguments.

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Tried to watch my first Fulham match in an English-style pub devoted to soccer and like many of you missed the second half so it wasnt quite what I was expecting. Does that qualify as Fulhamish luck? I did meet Lyle - great guy. Any of you other Houstonians should plan a Fulham outing to the Richmond Arms with Lyle and liven the place up!

Anyway, if anyone hasnt seen the second half yet, FSC is showing it today (Tues) at 5pm and tomorrow at 3pm (EST). Lyle, hope you got or get the chance to catch it.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Kamara would have been offside, if he met any of those three qualifications, but became back onside once the ball was dribbled in front of him.

Kamara was never interfering with play, interfering with an opponent, nor gaining an advantage when Davies was passed to then dribbled forward.

Beers, please!

20. andyns

andyns New Member

Ok, well it's all discretion, but I certainly believe Kamara was interfering with an opponent, because someone has to mark him.

And lets not forget the guy who received the first past out wide, Davies maybe? He was offside too, normal offside.

But that's enough.